Learning My GPX 5000

Although no gold, I really enjoyed playing with my new GPX 5000 for a couple of hours. Not belonging to a club yet, I went to Lynx Creek just to get familiar with it in hot ground. Tried the Double D 11" coil to play with the discrimination feature. Set it at 3 and then 5 and still got a few rusty iron pieces but not many (Lynx creek is a very trashy area). I feel the discrimination worked really well for a PI. Had a great time, I am addicted to this machine and cant wait to join a club to go out in a more remote area. Here are a couple of photos of what I found. Many were just whispers when I began so I am sure the detector is working perfect just need to get it over some gold!

GPX 5000 2.JPG

GPX 5000 3.JPG

GPX 5000.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like you are doing everything right, just need to get over a nugget - soon I hope!!

My main advice you might hate though. I never, ever used the discrimination on the Minelab PI detectors, way too unreliable. That said others do and have a decent handle on it. Maybe they will chime in.

jrod,

I hunt a lot of tailings..I use a DD coil in those areas, like you said..lots of trash. It's not a 100%. Just make sure you only skip the ones that blank out completely. Sometimes the larger closer to surface gold will sound loud and ping as if its blanking like a bounce of different sounds like hi lows or low high loud pings..be careful you dont get lazy like I have and not skip those. The tin is difficult...usually surface tin is a hi signal, deeper tin in low and sound like a good target, got to dig all that. Anyhow, good luck and remember dig all except total blank out is trash. The only other thing I have notices is when I set the disc to 7-8 lead will at times sound like as if there is a blanking to it, starts out as a good signal..and as you get closer , slight blank..dig it. I just got back from hunting more tailings...no gold today, but keep on at it, as the gold will show its face. 

• Like 1

Steve, AuWanderer, 

Thanks for the reply and information. It was fun to use the 5000 such a great detector and so many options and settings to learn. Next time, I am going to take the 11" mono with me also and try it to see the differences along with using no discrimination. I am sure that depending on the ground, trash and iron infested sites the DD with a some discrimination is helpful but more remote areas the mono or no discrimination would be best and dig it all. I can't wait to post my first nugget!

Thanks again!

Jimmy

• Like 2

You are playing the lottery when you trust the discrimination As a beginner it might be best to dig every target and turn the D off...

Many large nuggets have been passed up by using any form of Discrimination.

Remember that D only works with the DD coil. Cancel only works with the DD coil.

I have played with D in old mining dumps-set the D to high- it was a tiring and ear blasting exercise that could have produced some gold or coins; alas,only lead and brass.

good luck

fred

On 5/30/2016 at 2:55 PM, AuWanderer said:

jrod,

I hunt a lot of tailings..I use a DD coil in those areas, like you said..lots of trash. It's not a 100%. Just make sure you only skip the ones that blank out completely. Sometimes the larger closer to surface gold will sound loud and ping as if its blanking like a bounce of different sounds like hi lows or low high loud pings..be careful you dont get lazy like I have and not skip those. The tin is difficult...usually surface tin is a hi signal, deeper tin in low and sound like a good target, got to dig all that. Anyhow, good luck and remember dig all except total blank out is trash. The only other thing I have notices is when I set the disc to 7-8 lead will at times sound like as if there is a blanking to it, starts out as a good signal..and as you get closer , slight blank..dig it. I just got back from hunting more tailings...no gold today, but keep on at it, as the gold will show its face. 

Thanks for the tips on disc. and for the explanation!

• Like 4