Sign in to follow this  
jrod1101

Learning My GPX 5000

Although no gold, I really enjoyed playing with my new GPX 5000 for a couple of hours. Not belonging to a club yet, I went to Lynx Creek just to get familiar with it in hot ground. Tried the Double D 11" coil to play with the discrimination feature. Set it at 3 and then 5 and still got a few rusty iron pieces but not many (Lynx creek is a very trashy area). I feel the discrimination worked really well for a PI. Had a great time, I am addicted to this machine and cant wait to join a club to go out in a more remote area. Here are a couple of photos of what I found. Many were just whispers when I began so I am sure the detector is working perfect just need to get it over some gold!

GPX 5000 2.JPG

GPX 5000 3.JPG

GPX 5000.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like you are doing everything right, just need to get over a nugget - soon I hope!!

My main advice you might hate though. I never, ever used the discrimination on the Minelab PI detectors, way too unreliable. That said others do and have a decent handle on it. Maybe they will chime in.

jrod,

I hunt a lot of tailings..I use a DD coil in those areas, like you said..lots of trash. It's not a 100%. Just make sure you only skip the ones that blank out completely. Sometimes the larger closer to surface gold will sound loud and ping as if its blanking like a bounce of different sounds like hi lows or low high loud pings..be careful you dont get lazy like I have and not skip those. The tin is difficult...usually surface tin is a hi signal, deeper tin in low and sound like a good target, got to dig all that. Anyhow, good luck and remember dig all except total blank out is trash. The only other thing I have notices is when I set the disc to 7-8 lead will at times sound like as if there is a blanking to it, starts out as a good signal..and as you get closer , slight blank..dig it. I just got back from hunting more tailings...no gold today, but keep on at it, as the gold will show its face. 

• Like 1

Steve, AuWanderer, 

Thanks for the reply and information. It was fun to use the 5000 such a great detector and so many options and settings to learn. Next time, I am going to take the 11" mono with me also and try it to see the differences along with using no discrimination. I am sure that depending on the ground, trash and iron infested sites the DD with a some discrimination is helpful but more remote areas the mono or no discrimination would be best and dig it all. I can't wait to post my first nugget!

Thanks again!

Jimmy

• Like 2

You are playing the lottery when you trust the discrimination As a beginner it might be best to dig every target and turn the D off...

Many large nuggets have been passed up by using any form of Discrimination.

Remember that D only works with the DD coil. Cancel only works with the DD coil.

I have played with D in old mining dumps-set the D to high- it was a tiring and ear blasting exercise that could have produced some gold or coins; alas,only lead and brass.

good luck

fred

On 5/30/2016 at 2:55 PM, AuWanderer said:

jrod,

I hunt a lot of tailings..I use a DD coil in those areas, like you said..lots of trash. It's not a 100%. Just make sure you only skip the ones that blank out completely. Sometimes the larger closer to surface gold will sound loud and ping as if its blanking like a bounce of different sounds like hi lows or low high loud pings..be careful you dont get lazy like I have and not skip those. The tin is difficult...usually surface tin is a hi signal, deeper tin in low and sound like a good target, got to dig all that. Anyhow, good luck and remember dig all except total blank out is trash. The only other thing I have notices is when I set the disc to 7-8 lead will at times sound like as if there is a blanking to it, starts out as a good signal..and as you get closer , slight blank..dig it. I just got back from hunting more tailings...no gold today, but keep on at it, as the gold will show its face. 

Thanks for the tips on disc. and for the explanation!

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      The weather here hasn't been very summer like, while Australia is having heatwaves and severe bush fires we've been wet, with regular snowfall.  The lake levels are at crisis point where the nearby towns are close to getting flooding.  The rivers and creeks are all roaring with water washing around some nice flood gold 🙂  
      JW and I decided we'd go prospecting yesterday for a bit of fun, we went to one of our old haunts, we've done this area and this particular spot so many times and every time we think it's hunted out however JW's 10" X-coil got a fair few bits there last weekend and this weekend he was going to try the 12" X-coil to see how it goes there.  It was raining heavy at my place when I left and JW's house was also meant to rain all day but this particular spot we were going to the mountains were meant to keep the rain at bay.
      Here is a little video of a Dam we drove past showing the flood gates open due to all of the rain, where I was standing filming it I was getting wet from the mist of the water
      I didn't notice at the time but if you look hard you'll see two people in yellow jackets standing down at the base of the dam having a shower in the water 🙂
      I went not expecting to find anything but I just enjoy the hunt anyway and as it goes with gold, you never know.  I wanted to try out the 12x6" X-coil on the GPX 4500 as I've never used that combination at the spot and I've mainly used my QED lately so the GPX is getting dusty.  The reason this area is such a challenge for the GPX is the massive high voltage power lines that run through it, they're connected to the Hydro Dam and with all the flooding going on they must be really pumping out the electricity.  As I've mentioned in the past the QED handles the power lines fine at this spot although it is very sensitive and I do spend a large part of my day digging shotgun pellets when using the QED here.  I am sure a KQED-spert could tell me ways to get around that, maybe changing my mode from Mode 1 to one of the higher less sensitive modes would probably work.  It's the reason I don't like using VLF's here too, pellets... pellets.... pellets 😞
      When we arrived I strapped myself up with the GPX, all my cords and harness were in a big tangle and fired it up and no audio, bugger! did I forget a cable.  In a massive panic I went back to my backpack and searched for a missing cable.  It turns out all I'd forgotten to do was plug the speakers into the Steelphase SP01, I'd plugged the SP01 into itself with a loop of the cord 🙂  It shows how long it's been since I've used my GPX, forgot how to plug all the cords in.  I really like not having all these cords and harness with the QED.
      I've run the GPX at this spot a number of times and it has found me gold, prior to getting any X-coils I used to use my 14x9" Evo here, I had to have the gain quite low and audio in Quiet to get it semi stable but it never really ran nicely, I was never able to get a smooth threshold.  I have one of the early Australian made GPX's which I believe were a bit more noisy than the modern ones too which doesn't help.
      There are lots of old tailings piles at the spot, most aren't worth detecting as they're just big rocks, and the ones that are worth detecting have been pounded by every man and their dog, including myself and JW many times.

Someone had dug a massive hole, it looked quite fresh, It looked at least 15 inches deep and all they got was a rusty bit of metal that they'd left beside their hole!

The little 12x6" X-coil was working quite well on the GPX considering the power lines, It had a bit of pulsing but the threshold was mostly pretty good considering, I had my gain on 12 most of the day in sensitive extra with audio in boost and was pretty happy with how it was running, a stark contrast to when I used the EVO here I had to keep my gain down at 8 with audio in Quiet and it was still noisy.   It's always my go to coil for high EMI areas, the smaller size and I guess whatever else the manufacturer has done has made it a pretty good coil for EMI.
      I was struggling to find any good targets though, it was only probably 10 minutes after we first arrived that JW came over to show me his first bit of gold so I knew there just had to be some gold left here.  I can't expect to come close to his GPZ + small X-coils though, there is no better combination in my mind for finding these small gold bits at depth.

Here is a photo of the dirty great big power lines with all that flood power running through them 🙂  The weather held up mostly well for the day, a few showers, a few minutes of hail but mostly sunny.

It kept getting a signal on this big rock, it's loaded with quartz in lines through it, hitting it with my pick did very little so I gave up on it.  The photo doesn't show the size of it, it was three times bigger  than I am 🙂
      Seeing I was desperate to find some gold at this spot and didn't have much hope for myself I resorted to my usual tactic of flipping big rocks over, it's worked here in the past.  I guess those who have detected the ground before me didn't do it and the rocks added enough depth that they missed the gold under them. 

I was regularly finding these little skinks living under rocks,  I believe they're rare and endangered so I was always very careful not to injure any of them.
      I flipped over this massive rock and a spider ran up my arm and under my t-shirt sleeve, I panicked and shook my arm and brushed at it to knock it off.  A side effect of living most of my life in Australia is a fear of spiders, NZ doesn't really have that issue and poison or dangerous wild life aren't really something you concern yourself with however the Australian in me kicked in and I wanted to get it off me quick smart.  I did that and looked down expecting a little harmless NZ spider and to my surprise it was an Australian Red Back Spider (Australian black widow).  A Deadly venomous  sucker that could have killed me and it was the biggest one I've seen in my life.  We used to see them quite a bit in Australia but I never expected to see one here.  It's a shame I didn't put something next to it for scale to show just how big it was

Shortly after this photo I introduced it to my foot.  After doing some research it turns out they do live in the area and they're trying to get rid of them as they're an invasive species that came in from Australia, I am surprised they survive the winters, the grounds often frozen solid here in winter.
      After my scare I decided I'd stop flipping rocks and started detecting the cracks in the bedrock.  The grass growth from all the recent rainfall has made life difficult too, normally this place is dry and brown.

I found a good area of bedrock and detected along various cracks in it, ones that didn't have too much grass and found my first bit of gold for the day.

A little guy but a real screaming signal.  I was never going to miss this one, it sounded like a 22 shell does.

.247 of a gram!  Quite big for me lately 🙂
      I checked that spot a lot after that hoping for more, I even dug more soil out of the crack and checked it hoping there was another undetectable bit deeper but I was all out of luck so I moved further down the crack and had target, very faint, not a screamer like the previous one but sure enough another bit of gold.

This one was quite deep down in that little crack there

It looks about the same size but it's very thin, not much to it.

0.103 of a gram. 
      Here is a little video showing when I get them, it also shows there is no knock sensitivity of the 12x6" X-coil even with my gain up high seeing this question is often asked about various X-coils.
      I kept hunting around but found no more gold for the day unfortunately.

Someone went to a lot of effort to prop this big rock up, I checked under it but nothing.
      I later switched to the 15x10" X-coil but I had to lower my gain down a fair bit as it was being messed with by the power lines, I knew it would be as my 14x9" Evo is terrible here and it's even bigger.
      I also found some weird sheltered spot under some rocks where it looks like some crazy wild animal has been living bringing back the bodies of it's victims.  After my Redback discovery I thought this could be anything, maybe an African lion or the elusive Bigfoot so I took off quickly.

I didn't want to join the bones 🙂
      And that was it for the day, 2 for me for a total of .35 of a gram.  KFC time!
    • By Goldgetter
      Xp deus shaft docs gold screamer and a few different wireless options! Finally got all the peices. Of course I got a bum connector peices for the aptx blue tooth so that will have to wait. I did test it but I had to keep my fingers on the connection while I used it. I must say sounded perfect, there was no lag as far as I could tell. Ready to stuff it in the pack and go find some gold!

• By bado1
      Purchased a GPX- 4500 package and an additional 12" round NF Evolution coil from Chris at AZO and took it for it's maiden run today. It was toasty in Central AZ today but I just had to give the new set up a go for a few hours. Not a bad first run... scored three little nugs.

Totally HOT set up.
      Dean

• By Roughwater
      If you own a GPX I'm sure if you don't already have a battery back up you are probably wanting to get one.  Well, that's where I am at.  Problem is buying a 2nd battery is some 400 dollars or more.  I know Doc's has the Screamer kit with the amp and a couple smaller batteries etc which don't sound bad but it's still over 400 dollars for the complete set up.  There may be some other similar set ups as well, I don't know.  I could see the option of buying the Screamer amp for 135, the little pouch that goes around the detector for 50 and another 50 for one battery cutting the cost a bit.  But then you need a different charger for this battery so probably another 20 or so bucks.  So with shipping your probably better than 250 for the set up.  
      Some say the screamer amp is plastic and can get cracks in it easily?  I'm assuming too the screamer has a built in regulator but I don't know.   
      Anyone have experience with using the stock minelab set up VS the aftermarket one's?    
    • By Roughwater
      I was searching today for something online and came across this Utube video and thought this was a pretty smart way to put your Deep seeking PI detector to good use.  In the video they use it to locate deep targets, mark them and go back over with an etrac to determine whether to dig or not.   

• By goldenoldie
      G'day all,
      Been some time since I posted on this site and have followed the GPZ threads with interest and how it now compares to the GPX. 
      In one particular thread I read the GPZ Audio Smoothing when set to its OFF position is similar to a Stabilizer setting of 20 on the GPX.
      Therefore my question is in relation to the GPZ Sensitive setting, which is like the Gain setting on the GPX, and since both detectors have their range between 1 and 20 would you say the GPZ Sensitive default 9 setting be the same as running a Gain of 9 on the GPX 5000?,
      Thanks in advance.