Manticore @ The Drained Lake

20221015_081242.thumb.jpg.a12d0d11e4141dfb932f8bf974764fb0.jpg

9 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Here are some pictures of the ring.  Mom cleaned it up some.  It's the one on her pinky.  

I took this one to a jeweler to see if they could clean it up, unfortunately garnets scratch. Sadly she told me she couldn't, as the way they do it they would blow the stone up. She did the best she could.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, Daniel Tn said:

So what did the Manticore find there after having previously hunted it with the 900 and D2?   How about.....nadda.  That's right.  Nothing.  I will tell you that it behaves similarly to the Nox 900 in that it is very chirpy and falses a lot in the iron that is on this beach, and even with tracking ON, it seems slow at keeping up with the changing ground.  I tried a couple different modes here...using the All Terrain General and All Terrain Low Conductor modes.  I didn't dig any non ferrous trash, nor coins, nor jewelry.  I'm not kidding when I say...nadda.  I did try digging some of the very obvious iron false signals just for the heck of it and they were indeed iron.  I had the D2 with me and the 9 inch coil on it.  I fired it up and rehunted the same area and I will tell you hands down...the D2 is smoother and quieter on this site.  It's actually a joy to use there. I did dig two non ferrous targets with it and both were small BB fishing sinkers.  

On 1/26/2023 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Tn said:

For what it's worth, I think the Manticore is probably Minelabs most rounded and complete detector to date for a coin/relic/jewelry hunter.  We've only scratched the surface of settings and capabilities.  Just running it in stock programs, they've done a A+ job in my opinion.  If it holds up in the water without leaking...then they've knocked this one out of the park.  My one wish with it...is I wish it had the red backlight like the Nox 900. And that's it.  With the incoming coils for it, I couldn't think of anything else I would add to it.  

So can you elaborate on this a bit Daniel? I realize ten days passed between the first post and the second. The first seems a bit iffy on Manticore. The second seems surer about it. Seems like I’m missing a little bit of the story somewhere, so was wondering if you had anything extra to add on D2 and Manticore. Thanks, and good on you again with the ring find!

• Like 4

Great info Daniel. I don't have the Manticore but I'm liking it more & more from what I'm seeing and hearing. Both the Manticore & Deus 2 would perform great on my mild ground and sandy lakes. I'm leaning toward the Manticore being it's hotter on gold jewelry.

Did you have any problem with the Manticore with false hits on iron on your relic hunt?

My Detectors:

Nokta Legend, Xp Orx, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquaro, Nokta Gold Kruzer

17 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

I can try to fill in.  The "new" beach at the drained lake site is just a difficult spot to take any detector, and isn't the best of places to take a brand new machine for one of its first trips out. Every detector (except the D2 with some tweaking) I've ever ran on it, has been bad about mineral blowback and iron falsing. The ground there is shallow bed rock with a high iron content, and sand/mud on top of it. The D2 stands top of the heap for that particular spot.

For where I hunt it’s the first paragraph that says it all. I’m not surprised though. My own use of the Manticore made me believe it would shine best in low mineral ground (turf) and white sand beaches. Not so much in high mineral ground. The Florida beach hunters will be gaga, west coast beach hunters scratching their heads. Nice to see more confirmation. :smile: Thanks Dan.

• Like 4

I'm somewhere in the middle. Not white sand and not extreme magnetite sand. I have found that the Manticore performs best on the wet saturated sand and does not do as well in the dry areas (with black sand showing/mixed in) In the wet areas, on my beaches, it ups the numbers closer to 99 (even on copper pennies), where as on dirt the numbers are lower and better separated. It does go deep, but I think it's best characteristic so far is the clarity and sharpness of coin signal, even at depth. I haven't posted yet, but above a beach, (grass dirt area), I hit coin after coin. I usually walk the same path back to the car when I hunt there and I was shocked at the number of coin hits the 800 missed. It's the clarity of the signal that impresses me the most. I agree that there is a lot of potential to unlock on this machine.

• Like 5

The really simplistic answer is Manticore targeted the $1599 E-Trac as a replacement and as such is aimed at FBS type detecting i.e. surf and turf. It should excel in particular as a U.S. deep turf / park detector.

A big selling point on the Manticore is boosted transmit power (TX). I see the new Quest V80 and V60 are going a step farther with adjustable TX output, something I have not had on a detector since my V3i.

• Like 2