What's The Best Advice You Can Give A New Beach Detectorist To Find Good Targets?

I'm new to beach detecting (but have countless hours and success detecting gold nuggets) and the best advise I can give you is to dig every target that sounds off on your detector. Pay attention to the sounds each target gives. A couple weeks ago when I was in Maui I figured for another bottle cap and it turned out to be a white gold with diamonds ring. You never know unless you dig it up.

Get out and start digging targets!

• Like 3

Phrunt's advice is to detect less popular locations or to be more precise locations that haven't been detected by others. Good advice, but what I can't figure is how come I only ever find ring pulls bottle tops and foil, are you bastards leaving that stuff on the beach !

• Haha 2

It's an enduring mystery to me why anyone in their right mind would take jewelry to the beach in the first place.

• Like 4

Try to find a mentor in your area to hunt with. If you can find an experienced and successful beach hunter to learn from you can save lots of time over learning on your own.

• Like 7

I hope you are not married.  You are going to be away from home many, many, many, many, many hours.  Good Luck!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Number one in my book:  Time = Treasure.  

Put in the time learning to read the beach/conditions/learning what your detector is telling you and you shall be rewarded.   Be a sponge for knowledge.

Just as everyone has posted above.  

Bunch of books out there to help you get started on learning to how to read the beach.  Heck some of the authors are on this forum.  

Ask lots of questions that’s how everyone learns.  

• Like 4