Western & Eastern Treasures Ceases Publication

Passing of a giant, one of the best the industry ever saw….

3c88a674-0935-4871-aaa4-74e90a7ec8b3.jpg
“With pride and gratitude we announce that, after 57 years, Western & Eastern Treasures magazine ceased publication with the December, 2022 issue.

Over the last few years, I have happily observed the detecting industry begin to reach a much larger audience. This is primarily due to the popularity of online short and long form videos. Their creators can share finds and experiences almost instantaneously. As encouraging as that is, it was time to come to terms with the fact that the medium in which we delivered our content (magazines both print and digital) belongs to a shrinking market.

It has been an honor to assume the role of Managing Editor of Western & Eastern Treasures. My grandfather, Houston (Dick) Burdette, was the original publisher.  My mother Rosemary Anderson and father, Steve Anderson, deserve more praise than I can articulate here. Without both, Western & Eastern Treasures would not have become the respected and popular publication we all know today.

To our dozens of advertisers, hundreds of contributors and, most of all, our thousands upon thousands of readers I say - Thank You.”

Sincerely, 

Logan Anderson
Managing Editor
Western & Eastern Treasures
  • Like 3
  • Sad 9

Sad but a sign of the times, I look forward to my monthly copy of Australian Gold Gem & Treasure. Obviously I'm a dinosaur, but I just prefer the printed version, If didn't have a printer I wouldn't use my computer nearly as much. Yes I have a computer not a smart phone, for my convenience I use a dumb phone. " how do you fleece sheep"....... charge $1200 for an i phone. 

The same over here , there is ony one MD magazine remaining in France .  Two others have ceased publication during the past year .. 

• Sad 2

I used to devour every issue of W&E T back in the days before forums and YouTube. I didn't know they were still in business. Now online forums seem to be headed in the same direction as magazines, being replaced by phone oriented media sites.

My $80 Samsung Galaxy J2 smartphone works great but I prefer using a computer for all things internet. Forums are a great resource of information. It's way easier to write with a keyboard and mouse. 

• Like 8

When did they cease their hardcopy -- was it 4 or 5 years ago?  The hardcopy 'Treasure' magazine series departed shortly before them, I think.

I have two shelves full of old treasure mags, going back to 1070.  I don't think they'll leave before I do -- too many good memories.

• Like 3

I always felt that W&E was a class act, but the writing was on the wall when they went digital only. 

As much as I love technology, I kind of lost interest in W&E when they ceased a paper magazine, as the online forums have been just as interesting, if not more at times.   I'll really miss their Best of the Year issues, I was fortunate enough to have some items published, some best of the year finds, even an Ask Mark submission a few times over the years 👍

• Like 2