Underwater Antenna Experiment

parkgt

That is absolutely brilliant! The antenna wire does just need to be above the waterline to work. It only has to touch the remote for diving. Well done, parkgt!

• Like 4

It is also possible to charge the coil without removing the cable ties at the bottom end on the coil.

Just be sure to get things positioned far enough away from the charging clamp area.

IMG_2634.JPG.64572b209a7bcf294c2056838df7be9b.JPG

• Like 6

What a great idea, this type of setup will work for me as well.... I don't go in deep on the beach, just on the waters edge and maybe a foot or so under at times. I have been using my 800 on the beach for this reason.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Underwater Antenna Experiment

Does the signal travel on the center conductor or the shield, or both? Just curious if you removed the shield on both ends under the heat shrink. Super great idea!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jed in NC said:

Does the signal travel on the center conductor or the shield, or both? Just curious if you removed the shield on both ends under the heat shrink. Super great idea!

I removed 1" of shielding from both ends.  I don't know if more or less would make a difference in results.

• Like 1

Yep, the center wire is the RF conductor. The outer wire sheilds against EMI interference. I hope you don't mind that I post this here, Greg, but there's some useful info in this video showing Gigmaster doing his version of transmitter wire replacements that may help others interested in doing these kind of mods.

• Like 4

Just FYI, after doing a little research, I believe the XP stock antenna wire is RG179. The only practical differences between RG179 and RG174 are the following:

RG174 typically has 50 Ohm resistance with copper clad steel conductor and copper braid shield,

RG179 typically has 75 Ohm resistance with a silver coated copper clad steel conductor and silver coated copper braid shield.

RF performance is practically identical, specially in the XP application, however there may be an EMI shielding advantage to RG179, but underwater that is negated.

As a side note, the brownish black discoloration of the antenna wire reported by some beach hunters may be tarnishing of the silver coated shield wire caused by seepage of salt water, which over time would probably lead to corrosion and breakage.

• Like 6