Underwater Antenna Experiment

parkgt

5 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Here are some others, specifically sized for detectors:

https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Skinz-Sleeves-Detectors-Americano/dp/B08BG5L32S

That will work as well. I liked the split tubing, because it is split on the entire length and made it much easier to put on and remove without removing the lower shaft and to get the wire under it. Seems to stay on very well. Has very good memory.  I may make a longer antenna as well and I can then use two pieces, one on the upper and one on the lower.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm thinking that this might be "good enough" if brought all the way up to the top shaft inside. 🤔 Might try that. I did get the SteveG shaft with the holes for the wire, but they are still good for fast filling the tube when immersed. 👍

I tried one version that I brought all the way up the shaft.  For what ever reason that one didn't transmit the signal well.  I don't know whether the handle and metal from the shaft lock interfered. 

Also I couldn't collapse the shaft very far together without a lot of force bunching up the cable badly.  If you don't care about  collapsing the shafts together you might try stopping just below the upper shaft lock. 

17 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

All great ideas! I'm thinking of using Greg's idea of running the wire up the lower shaft for a semi permanent installation and Jed's idea of using the velcro wire ties on the coil to be able to clean the coil cover and to switch coils when I get the new 9.5"x5" coil. 😎

Now that I know it works I will also switch to the velcro wraps.  I have some laying around somewhere.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, parkgt said:

I tried one version that I brought all the way up the shaft. 

Well that saves me some time! 😀Thanks for updating us. 👍

I can imagine the transmit distance gets pretty close when fully submerged.

2 hours ago, parkgt said:

tried one version that I brought all the way up the shaft.  For what ever reason that one didn't transmit the signal well.  I don't know whether the handle and metal from the shaft lock interfered. 

The upper shaft is metal therefore it prevents the signal unless you run it all the way into the plastic retainer that the RC snaps onto. I coiled my cable like the CTX and ran it all the way up to the retainer and held it in place with a plastic tie wrap so it works with my WS6 module. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carolina said:

The upper shaft is metal therefore it prevents the signal unless you run it all the way into the plastic retainer that the RC snaps onto. I coiled my cable like the CTX and ran it all the way up to the retainer and held it in place with a plastic tie wrap so it works with my WS6 module. 

Beat me to it, Thomas.

For F350 Platinum - Since SteveG's system is totally CF it may not be a problem to bring it further up the shaft, and may better for preventing drop outs when submerged.

2 hours ago, parkgt said:

I tried one version that I brought all the way up the shaft.  For what ever reason that one didn't transmit the signal well.  I don't know whether the handle and metal from the shaft lock interfered. 

Also I couldn't collapse the shaft very far together without a lot of force bunching up the cable badly.  If you don't care about  collapsing the shafts together you might try stopping just below the upper shaft lock. 

Now that I know it works I will also switch to the velcro wraps.  I have some laying around somewhere.

Not sure how those velcro wraps will hold up while scraping against hard packed sand in the surf wash.  Not saying they won't, I just have no idea vs. plastic zip ties.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carolina said:

I'm all outa likes again, so I'll have to come back later and punch them in.

I was going to suggest the "Carolina Coil" up the entire shaft and I completely forgot the upper was aluminum. I'm glad to see your mod also works with the WS6 module. So can you use it with the full size remote without the clip too if you're not diving with it or does it have to be clipped on?

I just installed the waveguide for water detecting tomorrow, looks like this, decided to run it through the shaft and zip tie it. Thought people might like to see how this option works on the SteveG CF shaft.20230123_130842.thumb.jpg.cba48bfb72b1e7ba6e5e178afb606980.jpg20230123_130810.thumb.jpg.87e17fc9d99914e8bbfdbd36f9400339.jpg20230123_130759.thumb.jpg.d3aaf503f06162fe27a63362d1b75810.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I just installed the waveguide for water detecting tomorrow, looks like this: decided to run it through the shaft and zip tie it. Thought people might like to see how this option works on the SteveG CF shaft.20230123_130842.thumb.jpg.cba48bfb72b1e7ba6e5e178afb606980.jpg20230123_130810.thumb.jpg.87e17fc9d99914e8bbfdbd36f9400339.jpg20230123_130759.thumb.jpg.d3aaf503f06162fe27a63362d1b75810.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome, F350!

6 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, that looks awesome, F350!

Thanks! 🙂

I have only SteveG to thank otherwise. 🏆 He makes a heckuva shaft for detectors.

Using zip ties is a double edge sword, they hold stuff nicely and in my experience don't wear out too fast, so that's great. Notice the tie on the control unit as well. Just made it.

The bad part is that going water hunting introduces fine silt into everything, so cleaning it all afterward is a nightmare.

That is why I go to my local Ace and get a bag of 100 zip ties. 🤣 8" light duty black. Here a bag is $3.89.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! 🙂

I have only SteveG to thank otherwise. 🏆 He makes a heckuva shaft for detectors.

Using zip ties is a double edge sword, they hold stuff nicely and in my experience don't wear out too fast, so that's great. Notice the tie on the control unit as well. Just made it.

The bad part is that going water hunting introduces fine silt into everything, so cleaning it all afterward is a nightmare.

That is why I go to my local Ace and get a bag of 100 zip ties. 🤣 8" light duty black. Here a bag is $3.89.

That's a great looking rig!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1