Underwater Antenna Experiment

parkgt

5 minutes ago, Jed in NC said:

That's a great looking rig!

Thanks, it's a little weird stuffing half the waveguide into the upper shaft, and the other half into the lower 😀 Carolina has a much better solution but I didn't have the time or resources. It is what it is... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks, it's a little weird stuffing half the waveguide into the upper shaft, and the other half into the lower 😀 Carolina has a much better solution but I didn't have the time or resources. It is what it is... 🤷‍♂️

I couldn't help noticing you don't have you coil balancer on the 13" coil. Did you decide you don't need it?

2 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I couldn't help noticing you don't have you coil balancer on the 13" coil. Did you decide you don't need it?

Ha, I've decided to go stock. 😎 I've broken 3 of them now, even a custom one. With Steve's shaft the coil is fine without a centering device. Too much bend on the ears. Might not detect my boots anymore!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

or does it have to be clipped on?

As long as it is not submerged it will work. Since the WS6 is not waterproof I see no reason to exit the plastic retaining clip for the puck. For the RC to be submerged I really have no idea if I use the RC and submerge if it still will work not clipped. I’ll give it a try and get back to you in a few days.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Ha, I've decided to go stock. 😎 I've broken 3 of them now, even a custom one. With Steve's shaft the coil is fine without a centering device. Too much bend on the ears. Might not detect my boots anymore!

I found some in Ukraine made for the 13” x 11”. I will let you know how they work. Delivery by tank and horse back so may be awhile.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I found some in Ukraine made for the 13” x 11”. I will let you know how they work. Delivery by tank and horse back so may be awhile.

I've seen those, they look like CNC milled poly. They're interesting, but on Steve's shaft the balance is pretty good. 👍 Might be ok without one.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Beat me to it, Thomas.

For F350 Platinum - Since SteveG's system is totally CF it may not be a problem to bring it further up the shaft, and may better for preventing drop outs when submerged.

I have my antenna permanently mounted and up the center of my CF rod. NO ISSUES with signal. Including waist deep water and very forceful wave wash.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I have my antenna permanently mounted and up the center of my CF rod. NO ISSUES with signal. Including waist deep water and very forceful wave wash.  

Do you have it terminated at the remote or just have it running part way up the upper shaft, Dave?  The question was whether you could run it part way up the upper shaft but leave it in the shaft.  Doesn't work with the metallic upper, should work with a total CF shaft system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I made up a full length waveguide out of the RG179 I had left over for deeper wading. Made it just the length I needed and it fits under my cover. Also used the original waveguide control clip. Only took about 15 minutes. I figure I can make a few more out of my original waveguide cable after I cut out the discolored ends. That would keep you from having to stuff the extra cable in the shaft.

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

• Like 2

Ok now I’m confused.  Some are saying if you extend the antenna higher up (closer to the remote) in the stock metal upper shaft it won’t work as well.  But leaving the end extended just past the end of the lower (I’m using the cf nokta lower shaft) it works fine.  How can that be because the upper end of the lower shaft is still inside of the metal upper especially in my case where I don’t extend it very far?