Underwater Antenna Experiment

parkgt

7 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Ok now I’m confused.  Some are saying if you extend the antenna higher up (closer to the remote) in the stock metal upper shaft it won’t work as well.  But leaving the end extended just past the end of the lower (I’m using the cf nokta lower shaft) it works fine.  How can that be because the upper end of the lower shaft is still inside of the metal upper especially in my case where I don’t extend it very far?   

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Everything inside the blue circle is plastic not metal. The antenna bumps up against the back inside of the mounting bracket. Since I coil my cable so to facilitate complete closing of the lower shaft a tie wrap secures the end in place so it does not spring back into the shaft when fully opened.

85D816EB-6F43-4679-AB1B-25E798BE30B6.jpeg

C91B9941-8F2B-4782-A4A2-E9323E13387B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I've seen those, they look like CNC milled poly. They're interesting, but on Steve's shaft the balance is pretty good. 👍 Might be ok without one.

I hope it's not from this seller because even though it says not 3D printed, they are 3D prints that have been sanded and spray painted. You can still see clear layer lines inside the holes and on the arcs that were not sanded well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275403339431?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5z_ZEJXAQ8-&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=C9pH38O6TWK&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I hope it's not from this seller because even though it says not 3D printed, they are 3D prints that have been sanded and spray painted. You can still see clear layer lines inside the holes and on the arcs that were not sanded well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275403339431?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5z_ZEJXAQ8-&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=C9pH38O6TWK&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not the same seller. I have no idea if it’s 3D printed or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Everything inside the blue circle is plastic not metal. The antenna bumps up against the back inside of the mounting bracket. Since I coil my cable so to facilitate complete closing of the lower shaft a tie wrap secures the end in place so it does not spring back into the shaft when fully opened.

85D816EB-6F43-4679-AB1B-25E798BE30B6.jpeg

C91B9941-8F2B-4782-A4A2-E9323E13387B.jpeg

That's excellent, you definitely went the extra mile! That should be the stock setup from XP! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

hope it's not from this seller because even though it says not 3D printed, they are 3D prints that have been sanded and spray painted. You can still see clear layer lines inside the holes and on the arcs that were not sanded well.

It does not appear to be the same. I don’t know if it’s printed or not. Time will tell. I don’t have a problem with the stock coil. I have a problem shopping on line Lol.

99AE8AEA-5154-4F8F-9CBC-91FE538C9731.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's excellent, you definitely went the extra mile! That should be the stock setup from XP! 😎

That is for the WS6 module only. I use this for the RC.

A8D8CE27-B3DC-4EC9-BC96-0480A6AC06F6.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm stealing that WS6 idea! 👍

Thanks Carolina! 🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Do you have it terminated at the remote or just have it running part way up the upper shaft, Dave?  The question was whether you could run it part way up the upper shaft but leave it in the shaft.  Doesn't work with the metallic upper, should work with a total CF shaft system.

I have the antenna wire from coil to remote in the CF rod. For what it is worth the last part to the remote goes through my metal hand grip. 

I have not had signal issues. Will post a pic tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:50 AM, Carolina said:

The upper shaft is metal therefore it prevents the signal unless you run it all the way into the plastic retainer that the RC snaps onto. I coiled my cable like the CTX and ran it all the way up to the retainer and held it in place with a plastic tie wrap so it works with my WS6 module. 

What you posted above is what is confusing me about the remote losing it’s signal.  In that post Parkgt said that he tried running the co-ax cable all the way up the upper shaft but the signal wasn’t good.  What I’m not understanding is that if you run the co-ax cable just long enough so that it hangs out of the top of the lower shaft, some of that cable is still inside of the upper metal shaft.  If the metal shaft is causing interference, why doesn’t it cause interference when the co-ax end is is at the bottom half of the upper shaft?   In other words, if I run the co-ax so it just hangs out of the top of the lower shaft like Parkgt shows in his pic in the original post, the top of that cable will still be inside of the upper metal shaft.  If I made that cable longer so the end is near the top of the upper shaft, why would that make the signal worse?   Maybe I’m misunderstanding something.  Sorry if I am.