I Think The Manticore Falls Short On Saving Programs

khouse

The ML Equinox 800 allows you to change a mode and save those settings.  You can save one to the 'User Profile' area and access it thru a (difficult to use, IMO) side button.  Thankfully you can exit the user profile using the front panel mode change button.  I campaigned (begged?) for more custom/profile slots in the future but it doesn't appear to have happened.  I guess this wheel didn't squeek loud enough.  But Nokta and XP apparently listened (to someone) or just figured it out themselves.  The Legend and Deus 2 seem to have a lot more user custom savable slots.

When I detect parks I have three modes I like to use:  Park1 for the hunt and two more (Field2 and Gold1) for investigating.  All are customized to my liking.  I store the Field2 in the user profile slot and (have to) use both hands to activate it.  But to get to Gold1 I must step through the full range of modes (Park1-->Park2-->Field1-->Field2-->Beach1-->Beach2-->Gold1 -- Finally!) and then back through Gold2 to get to Field1 for searching or investigating.

steveg mentioned that he liked the menu navigation on the Manticore.  Besides the side button (again, why make it so difficult to access, Minelab??) the user is allowed to reprogram one of the main buttons to access the user profile (I think -- that's what I've concluded from reading the manual).  But I think that reprogramming just shortcuts the side button....  I.e. I don't think this means there are two user profile storage areas.

So, here's a question:  how difficult is it to switch between modes (adjacent modes and non-adjacent modes) -- if that question even makes sense?  For example, it would be nice if a left button press takes me from one mode to another, then two right button presses takes me to a 3rd mode, and from there a left button press takes me back to my main search mode, that would be nice and take care of my anticipated hunting/investigating style.  I think (not sure though) that the XP Deus 2 can be configured to do this via its many user profile storage areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think (not sure though) that the XP Deus 2 can be configured to do this via its many user profile storage areas.

Yes.  This is exactly how D2 works and why I find it can be best set up to suit my style of iffy target interrogation best of the MF detectors mentioned (Equinox, Manticore, Legend).  I think the arrow navigation buttons and soft keys on M-core are an improvement versus the Nox in this regard, but still of limited usefulness.  The OP makes a good point regarding the lack of multiple customizable profiles that combine discrimination and ferrous limit settings that can be applied to any mode as ML chose to solely provide this feature/capability for the ferrous limit profiles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

m=E/c2 Makes Matter.  c2 = E/ m makes light. 

yeahhbutt i was just playing on MC=manticore & E= equinox.  Alphabet + math  makes me equal OH,OH. 

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, khouse said:

After having the machine in my hands I will explain what I have found. 

1- You can edit and save 4 ferrous limit patterns.  These patterns are global.  
2- You can customize 1 discrimination pattern for each search mode.  This disc pattern is not global.
3. You can save only 1 custom search mode to favorites

My critique is this -

Why not give us 4 global disc patterns - preset and custom 1,2,3 and 4 just like the ferrous limits?  How about a "combine" feature?
Why limit it to just 4?
When you scroll to custom ferrous pattern 1,2,3 and 4 the front page image doesn't change showing you the pattern?  You must open each one up to see the pattern.

I consider a discrimination pattern as being both ferrous and conductive disc patterns combined such as on an etrac
I would have liked to see the Manticore set up to easily migrate disc/ferrous patterns into any search mode you choose.

One other note......

I feel that ML seeing the by product of the height of the newly designed arm cuff made the claim the added height was for ergonomics.  The same goes for tilting the hand grip forward a little more as well.  The result is the new angle and added cuff height hasn't really changed the combined angle. 

I'm not bashing here.  I like the machine.  Possibly a machine that may dethrone what I believe to be the best coin machine made - the etrac.

This is exactly why I feel as if there will be a newer version of the CTX coming out over the course of the next year.  They are offering the Minelab user altogether better features than the Equinox had, with 2D technology, better waterproof rating, better depths and discrimination, underside led light, and collapsible carbon fiber rod system, oh and lets not forget their MULTI-IQ+.  One cannot sit here and think that they are not working towards the next great CTX option.  

13 minutes ago, Jason-NEK said:

This is exactly why I feel as if there will be a newer version of the CTX coming out over the course of the next year.  They are offering the Minelab user altogether better features than the Equinox had, with 2D technology, better waterproof rating, better depths and discrimination, underside led light, and collapsible carbon fiber rod system, oh and lets not forget their MULTI-IQ+.  One cannot sit here and think that they are not working towards the next great CTX option.  

It's been hinted that eventually the Manticore will become the mid range machine.  But not being able to save a few global fe/co programs seems a bit cheezy to me.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, khouse said:

But not being able to save a few global fe/co programs seems a bit cheezy to me.

Is this something that can be implemented through a software update?  My guess is 'yes'.  We can always hope for that.  But a lot of people need to speak up, and/or maybe the right people....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is this something that can be implemented through a software update?  My guess is 'yes'.  We can always hope for that.  But a lot of people need to speak up, and/or maybe the right people....

I made mention to one of the testing engineers.  He said it has been noted to ML and I'm not the only one with concerns.  You can't give us great tools to create awesome programs with basically no place to store them.  

• Like 3