First 2 Outings With The Manticore

Very nice finds and glad you are getting good results from it.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

It is really nice when you can fall right in with a new machine and it seems like an old friend.

• Like 2

Nice write up Rich! I'll just add a few things. My settings on the Manticore are about the same. I have dropped my recovery to 3 and sometimes 2. But 2 makes the targets a bit to smeared IMO for the GSL.

Rich had me go over the silver dollar before he dug it to see what I thought. I don't know if he realized it was going to be big silver or not. I was getting VDI readings all the way from 13 to 95, so it was deep. I called silver half, but was wrong. Based on going back and watching the video I would say it was 16+ inches deep.

The Manticore is a great beach detector that's for sure. I have dug a few pieces of iron with it and suspected it would be iron at the time but dug it to confirm my suspicions.

For me the Deus 2 has a little better audio on the deep targets. But both machines are right up there for the deepest VLF I've ever used at the GSL.

• Like 9

Great writeup, Rich!

11 hours ago, UtahRich said:

We came back Monday and I added a dateless Buffalo nickel, a 1935-S Peace Dollar,...

(stated rather non-chalantly)  What??!!  A silver dollar is an elusive bucket-lister for most coin hunters.  I realize they are a bit more common in the West, but still.  You two are killing me.  Andrew recovers a Walking Liberty half dollar.  Ho-hum.  You get a silver dollar.  Ho-hum.  😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Great write up.  Glad to here Manticore ID’s being close to Whites.  Wish D2 was close to Whites.

Still waiting on our household Manticore.  At some point a couple of shipping containers have to show up in some port somewhere.

Steve — yep I just wish that D2 ID scale was closer to my V3i VDI scale  — than I wouldn’t be worrying about missing any goodies while I learn it.  But the D2 has been a good machine so far to me in the short time that I’ve had it.   Great to hear the Manti is close to it 🤞 my wife will be happy she misses her MXT.  But it was time to go to machines that have a little less weight to save the backs.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 11:39 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Great writeup, Rich!

(stated rather non-chalantly)  What??!!  A silver dollar is an elusive bucket-lister for most coin hunters.  I realize they are a bit more common in the West, but still.  You two are killing me.  Andrew recovers a Walking Liberty half dollar.  Ho-hum.  You get a silver dollar.  Ho-hum.  😄

Very kind words GBA - Yes, silver dollars don't typically show up all the time. I've been fortunate to hunt locations where silver halves and dollars are more likely to turn up, so when hunting these areas, they aren't usually a surprise.  A number of detectorists i've hunted with have had lots of good fortune as well, which is nice for me because it offers opportunity to learn from their successes, how they hunt and set up their equipment, how they think themselves around a site, how they research, even how they work with land owners and administrators.

I often come away from these adventures feeling a bit schooled. This is one of those times. I've been hunting a long time and have admired Andrew's approach to things.  Lots for me to learn there from his approach and methods. 

Rich - 

• Like 4

Now, Rich, you need to start saving up for a backhoe to be able to get to the bottom of these cavernous holes😁 I know it's not your first silver dollar, but it certainly cannot get old when they show up!  

I know you put aside your tried and true detector(s) to give the Manticore a shot, and glad to see it has paid off for you.  Looking forward to many more 'photo shoots' in your near future!

Zincoln

• Like 1