Wow Australia… Unbelievable Flooding In North Queensland, Wa And Many Other Places...

I did not realize the extent of the catastrophic flooding that has befallen Australia.
Here in California we can identify with some of your problems, but like most everything else in the country, yours is bigger.

Hang in there folks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh my! 1

• The title was changed to Wow Australia…unbelievable Flooding In North Queensland, Wa And Many Other Places...
  • The title was changed to Wow Australia… Unbelievable Flooding In North Queensland, Wa And Many Other Places...

Hi Nordic, I have gathered over the decades that I have been interested in Australia that floods as well as other disasters are annual to an extent. I have been reading a number of accounts that sounded as though the flooding was a bit more than your usual 'normal'. But your point is well taken as always. Best...

• Like 2

Naturally a flooding wet depends on ones experience/perspective from their environment, the News views cater to the majority, if this wet does continue as it`s started there sadly will be flood disasters for that majority in our cities/towns in NQ as most were originally built on flood plains/reclaimed lowlands on our narrow eastern coastal strip with massive recent expansion on even lower ground, we are becoming more urbanized as our rural industries become more mechanized and haven`t as yet learnt how to tackle population growth to avoid compounding natural disasters.

I live in a farming/pastoral remote district of low population that requires water for crop irrigation thus we have a different perspective to urban areas, on fire as well as rain. Rurally we have three seasons green, brown and black. ie. color of our land. The prospector in me hates the wet and looks forward to the annual controlled fires, but my block needs the rain for the pasture and to fill its dams, thus I`m a wee at odds within myself, my immediate family live in cities and feel for them at flood times in particular, even more at odds with myself.

This wide brown land for me, although a land of extremes. 

• Like 5

Does sound a bit like California buddy. And just like there, news gets nutty. Everything here, is due to the climate changing, or so they say. Not trying to be political . Of course, like you say, its been going on here forever...but that doesnt sell.

• Like 3

OZvsUS.thumb.PNG.2315094c816dcd6827ea9aeac71dadf1.PNGAustralia is some 24% smaller vs America, there are some areas that are still in drought, some are now at the other extreme and flooding. Drought is not reported on by the News with the same enthusiasm as flood, mostly it affects the low population rural areas as our high population areas have sufficient dams to carry them over drought times. Rural districts like where I am are "food bowl" areas, without these areas there is no food, some of these areas are still in drought but it balances out by others like mine which are coming out of drought with the flooding with our dams full.

The calves on my block are being birthed now and they are ear high in lovely green pasture a time of bounty for them as will be in the other rural areas once the flooding subsides. The bad sad times for when we are affected by drought then flooding is balanced out by that bounty that follows, extremes yes, but that mostly is the reality of living downunder. 

It`ll be dry enough in a couple of months to go out and get that lovely heavy stuff again, the cycle continues.                                                                                 

• Like 6

Flak and other interested folks, a couple of movies (although recoing movies to Flak is akin to recoing gold techniques to Steve, Gerry and others) The Dry (Eric Bana) and The Drovers Wife (Leah Purcell) poem/short story by Henry Lawson.

• Like 1

Brisbane sure doesn’t have the dam capacity to sustain a drought or a big rain event, we were in a drought for years, the dam got to 8% or something crazy, we had a look and it was just mud.  They handed out everyone shower timers to tell you when to get out and went to everyone’s house and installed water saving tap fittings and shower heads for free, no washing of cars or watering gardens.  Brick houses were cracking from drying out too much.  Then the rains came and the dam filled up quickly and it kept raining and they had to release water to stop the dam failing and flooding the city.  Those in low lying areas and along creeks and rivers all flooded, generally the people in cheaper areas with low land that could least afford it.  Why they build cities or at least many suburbs in them in flood plains just makes no sense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–2011_Queensland_floods

It happens so often in Australia it just becomes normal, it always has, it’s nothing new.

• Like 2

Never realized that Australia is smaller then the US that really surprises me thanks for posting Norvic. Rain....drought...it all evens out...

strick  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Strick, being OZ biased, I found both The Dry and The Drovers Wife brilliant movies, with The Drovers Wife being very powerful as well. 

• Thanks 1