African Gold Channels

mn90403

Here is an article with a few pictures of metal detecting in Africa.  You dig a hole and detect the contents.  Does anyone know the metal detector used in the picture?  It doesn't look like a Minelab.  

Illicit Flows to the UAE Take the Shine off African Gold - MERIP 

I don't recognize the detector but I do recognize the general setup. They are probably chasing vein gold. If it was alluvial under thick overburden you'd see it blocked out into little squares. The first guy down to the gravel wins as he's tempted to skim his neighbours reserves. Of course they are aware of this so it only works when the gravel is below the water table (I'm not kidding). Take a deep breath dive, grab gravel, surface, repeat to fill bucket. Sniping Africa-style. It's a measure of desperation I guess. At one locality in Angola back in the day some genius decided to make an underwater crosscut with predictable results. The whole digging was then abandoned because of the dead spirits.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

I just looked at the picture again.  It is from 2014!  That is hardly up to date as far as the 'story' is concerned.

It’s a Minewab Gold Finder GTZ 7000 from Aliexpress, it even has an MP3 player.

• Like 2