Component Degradation Over Time

Hello.

What kind of time frame are we looking at before component degradation causes performance issues, and what kind of issues would they be? Sensitivity loss? Choppy audio?

I guess it would be hard to give a time frame due to many conditions, but I would think the old analog detectors have a lot more components such as resistors and capacitors that could degrade, compared to more chip based digital detectors.

My 1994 Garrett CX II still works as it should. It has been well cared for & stored properly.

• Like 2

Most manufacturers guarantee proper function of their IC's for 10 yrs. Every step beyond is a gift.

And as Steve H. said, the most capacitors tend to dry out; at what time I dunno. Personally I think the most changes will have the coils balance.

• Like 3

My White’s Eagle 2 that I bought in 1992 still works great and may outlive me .haha  

I gave a friend my White’s 66 TR that I believe I bought in 72 and I know it still works. The only thing he done is mod the battery hookup.

Chuck 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Component Degradation Over Time

Be more concerned with coil failure than components. Cables and connectors are more likely to fail over time as they get the most abuse.

I have 3 coils that have gone bad. Lost performance but actually still worked. Took some smart tweezers to them and found that the Rx had no resistance but had some reduced impedance. Tx seemed to be fine but typically Tx have a heavier wire guage.

Opened up the connection on my Nel Superfly and discovered one of the Rx was broken. Looked to be from corrosion and thinking back the 3 coils I have had fail were all in the salt quite a bit and connectors and potting was on the shotty side.

69593170992__9A38FAF5-63E2-4762-B42B-A0826C9C10FE.thumb.JPG.789dc09f4436660e1caa32f4dadc639b.JPG

I carefully moved the shielding on wire out of the way and made a small jumper.

69593309705__62157557-DED9-4EBE-B842-936D87ADFC4D.thumb.JPG.eb74be41645eb3873bac116448843f6d.JPG

Sealed it up with a good dose of liquid electrical tape (possible the best invention in the world ever!)

69593396333__5AAA72E7-AED3-4FB5-A4EF-6BACFDD4013E.thumb.JPG.8979fa9c6cdbaabc9f2bd38198bcb7c7.JPG

Coil runs like a champ now.

69593396333__5AAA72E7-AED3-4FB5-A4EF-6BACFDD4013E.JPG

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Circuits will last 50 yrs or more. With vintage models the biggest problems I've seen are bad coil cables and bad speakers. Capacitor problems are rare.

Carl you were spot on about the cable being bad. I have 2 other coils with similar issue but not sure if I can repair them as they have Garrett connectors.

Thanks for your help.

I’m not sure what Garrett coil connectors you need but the AT series  ones are on Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2255800399034492.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

• Like 3