GPX 6000 Speaker Audio Feedback Fix - My Experience

Dutchman4

20 minutes ago, Aureous said:

I am hoping that combined, the 2 'fixes' will improve things a lot.

Thanks, looking forward to your report. Please test both the 11 inch stock and the NF. The NF alone could have a positive impact, even without fix when you are using BT. I.e. my GPZ is more stable with the NFZsearch than with the 14 stock.

GC

• Like 3

I think the only reason Minelab worded their notice about the fix the way they did was to save money, if people think they don’t need it done then Minelab saves the estimated $150 bucks they pay the repair agent to do it plus shipping fees.   I say $150 as that’s what we charged laptop manufacturers per hour for their warranty repairs, I guess something like 90 usd.

The fact anyones serial number is approved for the repair should be an indicator that it’s every machine, and they are changing the inductors to a different type is another hint.  It’s not replacing faulty ones like for like, it’s an improved inductor being used.  Crazy theories about losing sensitivity are more a lack of understanding of the inductors purpose.  Two inductors are changed for the fix, nothing else is done, no sensitivity lowering firmware to make the machine more stable, simply an oversight in design.

Many products get improved after release, this one wasn’t able to be resolved with firmware and required hardware modification. I’m just happy they fixed it on the 6000 and didn’t hold off the improvement for the more stable 6500 release.

I myself am seeing an improvement even when using Bluetooth, and it’s distinct, certainly not a placebo.

• Like 5

There must be differences though in production models. Mine is not unusually unstable and runs smooth for the most time when using BT. It's just a sensitive machine. So, I won't bother doing the fix. The 9 in Coiltek does seem to make things a bit smoother though. I never use the internal speaker.

GC

I’m sure there is, although it may get worse over time if it’s a poor quality component as they should be identical.  It could also be peoples tolerance of the problem, I’d suggest taking a fixed one for a spin one day and see if you notice a difference.

The Coilteks are bundle wound, that natively is smoother than the semi spiral stock coil.

• Like 2

Stubborn as a mule, you can lead a horse to water…….. you know how the saying goes. 😀

Enough of the equine jokes, but seriously give a fixed one a try if you have an opportunity, you won’t be disappointed. I really like my 6000 now and I think I made it pretty clear I wasn’t overly impressed prior to the fix.  I’m really happy they have provided the fix to anyone who wants it done, it’s a shame they weren’t more open about who needs it and why but that’s business for you and I’m sure the bean counters don’t want the facts in the public domain.

• Like 3

I just got mine back and have put several hours on it in the Quartzsite area. Once it got to the shop they turned it around in 2 days. They did the update and replaced the audio board. It is running much smoother so I come down on the side of doing the fixes.

I was finding small gold prior, but after running another fellow's smooth running machine decided it was time to send it in. Glad I did.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

Stubborn as a mule, you can lead a horse to water…….. you know how the saying goes. 😀

" A good horse will only drink sweet water" good jockeys know that.😉