GPX 6000 Speaker Audio Feedback Fix - My Experience

Dutchman4

11 minutes ago, Norvic said:

" A good horse will only drink sweet water" good jockeys know that.😉

In Cat Ballou the good horse drank whiskey, just  ask Lee Marvin 1965. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

better with just the speaker or also better with BT?

It is all around better, but maybe a bit more improved on speaker than on BT. I'm happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I followed up and did some more sensitivity testing a few days ago to characterize my GPX6 post "audio fix" performance. I went through all the settings again while using my #8 bird shot test target buried at 1 inch in mineralized soil.  I also brought my Gold Bug Pro-5inch round coil and my SDC2300 along for comparison.  The GB-Pro ground balanced at 88 with one to two ferrous bars showing to confirm the soil mineralization.

The GB and the SDC both detected the target with a descent audible tone, but of the two machines, the SDC had the quietest signal response on default gain of 2 with some improvement with gain of 4.

On the same target, the GPX6 still had a good audible signal response in all gain settings with a slight but noticeable better response on the higher gain settings.  Threshold was very stable with manual gain settings of 1-6 using both the internal speaker and oem BT headphones.  Threshold got progressively more unstable (warbly) with manual gain settings of 7-10.  Whilst going through all the settings I did make two observations.

1.  The threshold was noticeably more stable in Auto1 gain setting vs Manual-10.  Even manual gain settings of 7,8,9 appeared to have a more unstable threshold than Auto1.

2.  When using "Silent" threshold mode it is really silent now in the lower manual gain settings.  Before the repair I remember this mode wasn't all that silent with a few peeps now and then.  This might be the best indication so far that the "audio fix" has improved overall threshold stability of the machine.  I rarely, if ever use the silent threshold mode but I find this an interesting observation.

So in summary the sensitivity of my GPX6 is as good or better than my GB-Pro, on small shallow targets, and significantly better than my SDC with oem wired headphones.  Not saying that the SDC wont detect small targets, because it will, but the GPX6 responds significantly better.  I have found some tiny nuggets and also the usual small lead bird shot with my GPX6 and I still believe that it has the performance of a PI with the sensitivity of a VLF.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, strick said:

He was also a gold miner... @klunker learned me that one. 🙂

strick 

Man of many talents, Cairns FNQ Marlin fisherman and singer...  albeit one song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good advice Dutchman4, even though I have not had problems with my 6000, who knows if I may in the future, just sent mine in yesterday. 

• Like 3

After now using it post-mod for approx 30 hours, I can tell that there is a degree of noise now eliminated from the overall circuitry. The sensitivity has improved and the number of softer and smaller signals now appear from out of the bumpy threshold. The amount of difference between the speaker audio and BT headphone audio is far less apparent. I can't tell any improvement in using the headphones only, after the mod was done. But overall, there IS a benefit in getting the mod done. Obtaining an aftermarket coil adds another level of improvement. I would seriously advise every 6000 owner to do BOTH. Its like a new machine after that.....

• Like 5