Best Pinpointer For The Manticore

Ringtail

I’d like to get some input from the group on which pinpoint are you recommend for the Manticore. I’ve been two different versions of  the Garrett carrot for many years with no complaints, it’s simple to use and reliable. I love being able to detune it with a quick push of the buttons to detune it and zero in on my target to avoid scratching with my digging tools.

now I am getting my new wife set up with my Equinox 800 and I need to buy a second Pinpointer to use with the Equinox. I have done a lot of research and my choices are down to:

-Garrett AT Propointer with Z-Link: exactly like my trusted carrot and give the option of wireless if I am willing to spend an extra $100+ for the Z-Link kit. Downside - it will probably false in some of my favorite sites with very high iron soil (Northern, VA relic sites) and also in shallow salt water.

- Fisher F-Pulse: looks like a great unit and immune to falsing from Iron soil and saltwater. Downside - it will probably cause EMI interference with the Manticore in Multi-IQ. I saw a you tube video where it was incompatible with a CTX 3030 in every channel of the Pinpointer. I imagine that the Manticore will be similar.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried the F-Pulse with the Manticore yet? What about the DetectorPro Land or Sea? That looks like another possibility but it may have the same EMI issues with the Manticore. I really like the idea of having a pulse induction Pinpointer as an option if it will work with the Manticore.

Thanks,

Ringtail

1 minute ago, Geordiedan said:

FWIW I'm using the orange carrot with my Manticore and it works perfectly. No interference/EMI issues etc all just works.

Thank you for the response. I have been using my orange carrot with my Manticore successfully too. I’m not wired about the Garrett at all. My question was do Pulse Induction Pinpointer play nice with the Manticore. I expect some interference, but my concern is that changing the channels on the pinpointer won’t solve the problem.

Ringtail

• Like 1

If no one replies I’ll test out my F-pulse in a few days when I get home.

• Like 2

Phrunt,

Thanks for the response. I don’t know if you remember but we both used to be regulars on the Whites V3i forum years ago, my handle was ThreeRinger back then. 

How do you like the F-Pulse?

Thanks,

RingTail (Joe)

Ringtail,

I’ve been using my XP MI6 as my main pinpointer with the Manticore without any issues.  I just tested my XP MI4, Garrett Carrot, F-Pulse and Whites Bullseye TRX on the Manticore and didn’t have any issues with interference.  Of all those, I prefer to use the MI6/MI4.  I really like my Whites, but don't use it often because its been discontinued and I don't want to mess it up.  I generally use the Carrot as a loaner and I despise my F-Pulse.  I’ve only used the F-Pulse a couple times but I just can’t get it to stop falsing, even after trying different battery types and lowering the Sens to the medium setting, even then I have to de-tune it.  It frustrates me to the point where I end up using another pinpointer after about 15 minutes.  

• Like 4

You must have me mistaken with a counterfeit phrunt, I never used the Whites forum.  

I found my F-pulse in my car and tried it out, it caused no interference issues with the Manticore in any of the modes, I thought maybe in one of them it might but they all worked fine. Only problem was getting it too close to the coil which you would expect so I’d say a good match for the Manticore.

The F-pulse is pretty good as long as you don’t chase tiny targets.  It’s speaker isn’t very loud either but other than that a good pointer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

You must have me mistaken with a counterfeit phrunt, I never used the Whites forum.  

I found my F-pulse in my car and tried it out, it caused no interference issues with the Manticore in any of the modes, I thought maybe in one of them it might but they all worked fine. Only problem was getting it too close to the coil which you would expect so I’d say a good match for the Manticore.

The F-pulse is pretty good as long as you don’t chase tiny targets.  It’s speaker isn’t very loud either but other than that a good pointer.

Phrunt,

Wow, I knew my memory was getting bad but now I’m making up memories, lol! Did you used to be on any other V3i forums?

Thank you for taking the time to test you F-Pulse with the Manticore. I’m glad to hear there is no interference when not near the coil. People seem to either love the F-Pulse or hate it. It sounds like you need to ground balance it by touching the tip to the ground while powering up every time. I could live with that but MFF18B’s experience makes me wonder it there are some places where the ground is so mineralized that it won’t balance.

MFF18B - did you ground balance the F-Pulse each time you used it?

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

RingTail

Ring,

Yes, each time, I changed battery types from lithium to alkaline and changed sensitivity to the medium setting which does settle it down a bit.  I really wanted to like this pinpointer too but it just frustrates me.  Full disclosure, I had a Tek-Point that did the exact same thing so maybe it’s just my area, I don’t know.  Maybe it will work perfectly well for you, but I will not be buying another one.  I wish Garrett would remake the Whites Bullseye TRX, that one is easily my favorite.  It’s deeper than all my others and I enjoy the tip only sensitivity, but that would probably cut into their carrot sales.  

1 hour ago, MFF18B said:

Ring,

Yes, each time, I changed battery types from lithium to alkaline and changed sensitivity to the medium setting which does settle it down a bit.  I really wanted to like this pinpointer too but it just frustrates me.  Full disclosure, I had a Tek-Point that did the exact same thing so maybe it’s just my area, I don’t know.  Maybe it will work perfectly well for you, but I will not be buying another one.  I wish Garrett would remake the Whites Bullseye TRX, that one is easily my favorite.  It’s deeper than all my others and I enjoy the tip only sensitivity, but that would probably cut into their carrot sales.  

Thank you for the thorough explanation, that’s very helpful. Funny thing about the White’s TRX, I used to have one as a backup and I didn’t like it as much as the Garrett. I preferred the simpler on press on/off/detune of the Garret. Although I didn’t give it much of a chance, I loaned it to my detector buddy about 7 years ago and haven’t seen it since. 😐

Ringtail 

• Like 1