New To The Legend And Metal Detecting In General, What Are The Best Settings People Use When Detecting At The Beach?

Sirius

Detected the park today for the first time, and was playing around with the settings. I found alot of bottle caps and pull tabs along with some change. Main thing I used was M2 on field mode with a recovery speed at 4, and a tone break of 4. Everything else is pretty much factory settings. I definitely do not know what I'm doing it and I'm mostly just winging it. 
What settings did people find most effective for beach detecting? I'm headed to the beach tomorrow and advice would be most appreciated!

• Like 1

Hi Sirius.

For salt conditions, use either Beach Mode's Multi Wet (MW) or Multi Dry (MD).

Do an EMI noise cancel, then ground balance on uncontaminated ground.

If steel bottle caps are driving you nuts, then raise the Bottle Cap Reject accordingly.

Gold can ID just about anywhere on the ID scale. Very tiny gold, deep gold, and gold chains without a pendant (the very weak gold signals) can even ID in the ferrous range.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Question, isn't the bottle cap rejection capabilities only in the beta version of the firmware right now?

Yes, but it's not beta as in "It could cause my Legend not to work". There are no bugs in the beta version, but Nokta did make some slight tweaks to it based on customer requests.

The day went well, no fancy stuff like gold rings and such, but a whole lotta coins. First beach I went to they were sanding everything in so that was a wash. But the second beach was intact and ripe for detecting. Found a number of coins, few Junker earrings and stuff that may or may not be silver. (I didn't get a good look yet) And of course, trash. The tide was in when I started so i couldn't hit the waters edge, and by the point it had receded I was exhausted. Water pooling in my holes didn't help. 
On the way out, I came across another detectorist with a equinox 800 running on 4 kHz and park mode. I asked why he was in park mode, and he said that 4kHz hits gold the best even on beaches, he even found a gold ring a few beaches down which was interesting considering his settings. He also gave advice about listening to tones which is something I definitely need practice on. Anyways, I was wondering if his settings could work on beaches despite the saltiness of the sand and such. Has anyone had any experience with running a legend on park mode at the beach?

• Like 1

I did the 4 kHz test, too many false signals so beach mode is the way to go! the problem is always that the good stuff is found during low tide, and low tide today was just an hour or two before sunset so not much time at all to do much of anything!
I did manage to find a junker ring during low tide, and you know what they say: A ring is a ring. Even if it's a junker. Another detectorist using an equinox 600 (and was in the water longer than I was) missed the junker ring target so It's safe to say that The Legend is perfectly capable of finding rings. Now only if I could find a gold one..

• Like 2

I ran a gold test on 4 kHz park mode with a gold object I found on the beach. Rang up 18-23 which are gold numbers. But on the beach it may have different results due to the salt conditions. Not sure if it would be picked up if on the beach and on park mode + 4 kHz. If it could be picked up, then it could be a way to pinpoint only gold if the focus were only on gold numbers. Any higher and 40 is probably falsing?

49 minutes ago, Sirius said:

I ran a gold test on 4 kHz park mode with a gold object I found on the beach. Rang up 18-23 which are gold numbers. But on the beach it may have different results due to the salt conditions. Not sure if it would be picked up if on the beach and on park mode + 4 kHz. If it could be picked up, then it could be a way to pinpoint only gold if the focus were only on gold numbers. Any higher and 40 is probably falsing?

Aren't high freq's usually better for gold than low?