Relic Id?

Anybody have any idea what purpose this relic might have served?  It appears hand forged and has a very sharp tip.  It was found metal detecting an old farm house in southern Indiana.  Also found a couple hand forged chain links with it.

905038560_Ironspike.thumb.jpg.a7d713466e5813eda28978879de13439.jpg

It is a soldering iron. Get yourself a pretty corn cob for a handle, tin the tip and you are in business as a Tinkerer. 

• Like 8

Beat me to the punch by one minute!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes CPT_ the relic at the top of the photo does appear to be quite similar.   

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Unfortunately, I can't ID it, but I found something very similar and would also like to know what it is.

GT-M4-C2.JPEG

• Like 1

Time for a second (or is it 3rd?) opinion.  Compare to the following:

awl.thumb.JPG.864b820a6072a6f2ab8b56bd54f6e4da.JPG

(I should have put a scale in the picture, as you did -- total length is 9 inches.  Metal handle cross section is about 5/8" x 3/8".)  This is in my tool collection but I don't know its history.  (I did not find it detecting.)  Advertising on the handle is for a laundry in downtown Indianapolis -- probably in the ballpark of a century old.  My thought is it's an awl for punching holes in leather, etc.

I agree that CPT_G's is a primitive soldering iron.  The fat end is what gets heated up, possibly in an open flame.  I have one like that somewhere in my colletion but with a different handle than his.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Time for a second (or is it 3rd?) opinion.  Compare to the following:

awl.thumb.JPG.864b820a6072a6f2ab8b56bd54f6e4da.JPG

(I should have put a scale in the picture, as you did -- total length is 9 inches.  Metal handle cross section is about 5/8" x 3/8".)  This is in my tool collection but I don't know its history.  (I did not find it detecting.)  Advertising on the handle is for a laundry in downtown Indianapolis -- probably in the ballpark of a century old.  My thought is it's an awl for punching holes in leather, etc.

I agree that CPT_G's is a primitive soldering iron.  The fat end is what gets heated up, possibly in an open flame.  I have one like that somewhere in my colletion but with a different handle than his.

Interesting GB_ , looks sort of like an ice pick to me. The idea of a hole punch is also interesting for your and my item both.  

• Like 4

Couldn't find anything in the usual searches, but I keep thinking awl or leather punch of some sort.

It does resemble an old soldering iron tho. 🤔

1 hour ago, Cal_ said:

...Sort of like an ice pick to me.

That makes sense.  Those were popular & useful prior to freon refrigerators.  The handle on mine is just right for gripping to jam into a block of ice.