Bottle Cap Rejection

Cal_

Does anyone have any ideas or theories on how the Bottle Cap Rejection feature in V1.10 actually works?   

I'd like to know as well.

My guess is that since ferrous objects (like steel bottle caps) also produce a nonferrous response, then perhaps BC is an upper end extension of the IF?

If that is true, then I wouldn't use BC when trying to unmask good targets from nails.

• Like 2

Yea maybe.  Apparently the feature works to some degree at least but considering the wide range of bottle cap materials, shapes, and conditions,  I just can't imagine how.  I know you can't just notch them out without missing out on some good stuff.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cal_ said:

Yea maybe.  Apparently the feature works to some degree at least but considering the wide range of bottle cap materials, shapes, and conditions,  I just can't imagine how.  I know you can't just notch them out without missing out on some good stuff.

What I have noticed you want to use it sparingly if set to high you loose coins which is understandable, the only bottle caps I have found that the BC does nothing on is caps like Corona and similar the steel ones the BC changes the way the steel caps sound so they do not sound so great, I set mine at 2-3 usually on 2 just to make the caps have a not dig sound, I did set it at max once just to see what affect that would have on UN buried targets and lets just say I will not be running the BC maxed out LOL

same with the GS (Ground Suppressor) because I have not quite figured out at just what setting on the GS is to much

I noticed that one can find more info on the workings of Bottle Cap Rejection on the Minelab site.  I don't know how similar the Minelab BCR feature is to the Legends but my guess is it probably works on a similar principle. 

https://www.minelab.com/community/treasure-talk/dealing-with-bottle-crown-caps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Cal,

I saw that article as well.

It explains a method to help identify caps, but doesn't explain how the BCR works 😕

I suppose not, but I felt it gave more information about the process than Nokta.   I suppose once the final build is released I'll just upgrade to v1.10 and make my own judgments.

So if the BCR is an extension of the upper range on the iron bias, then it shouldn't have any effect on nonferrous objects that don't also have a ferrous object in the same field. If a nonferrous object is all by its lonesome, then the only way I could see BCR filtering it out, is if the nonferrous signal is so weak, that it would have been identified as ferrous, or just above ferrous, regardless of where the BCR is set. 

• Like 1

This is interesting, so far from what I watched this guy has figured out that bottle caps sound like iron on the edge whereas other stuff still retain that sharper tone. Learning new stuff every day!.

• Like 1

Still running v1.09 and I've noticed that steel crown caps can often be identified in Park mode custom pattern by accepting Target Scale IDs 1-3 with IDs 4-10 rejected.  With this setup, swinging over steel crown caps will often produce  a good high tone along the midline of the coil but at the edges of the coil give an iron tone.  This technique along with Ferrocheck is working well for me.   

• Like 1