Beware The Cholla!

There's no way I could laugh at someone in pain like that, unless it was someone that I pushed into them.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay away from anything that will stick you.

• Like 1

Thanks, enjoyed the clip! Sorry to laugh at your misfortune,  but been there done that in a completely different way. As a young man, I was a infantry soldier, did my 1st stint of jungle training at Tully  in the North Queensland. I got tangled in a waitawhile vine, and the more you struggle the worse the tangle, as I ripped through it in frustration (ripping my skin and uniform) I fell into a small Gympie bush, and that stuff is a freaking nightmare! It's like fibre glass fibres that give you an electric shock whilst injecting acid! Thankfully, none of that or the chora (looks like it's difficult to get out to) where I detect. BTW , that looks similar to classic West Australia ground. Nice to see you getting some gold out there.

• Like 3

I remember a fishing trip I took my son and a friend on in Arizona one night, we put the boat in the water, tied it off to a dock and proceeded to load our poles and things in the boat after we parked the truck and boat trailer, so we were going back and forth from the truck to the boat and my son ran into one of those cactus, then he started running I grabbed him and he was covered with those Cholla needless to say fishing trip ruined, we were pulling those out of him the rest of the night and half the next day, he was covered in them, and he was hurting for a few days after that fiasco, that was at Lake Pleasant in Arizona    

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3

50 minutes ago, TE Gold said:

Lake unpleasant memory no doubt!

not a trip my son will ever forget that's for sure he was 11 or 12 now in his 40s now

• Like 1

I literally wait sometimes for years for OTHER people to get hurt.  You know, stuff like getting stung, stubbing a toe, falling down, and now cholla, just so I can use my favorite saying....  "It'll feel better when it quits hurting".  I live for those rare moments, I'm such an asshole but I can't help myself....lol

Reese...  "It'll feel better once it quits hurting".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A friend here told me about an old guy who was out detecting and he wouldn't go within 3 feet of any Cholla. Well, he was riding his quad down a slope of a wash and wiped out, sending him into a large cholla cactus. He called my friend and a friend of his to come out to help him get his ATV upright and help him with the Cholla. He was completely covered in cholla. All over his head and face, throat and the rest of his body. Landing in it would be very bad when lauched with force. Ouch 😳🤕

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

A friend here told me about an old guy who was out detecting and he wouldn't go within 3 feet of any Cholla. Well, he was riding his quad down a slope of a wash and wiped out, sending him into a large cholla cactus. He called my friend and a friend of his to come out to help him get his ATV upright and help him with the Cholla. He was completely covered in cholla. All over his head and face, throat and the rest of his body. Landing in it would be very bad when lauched with force. Ouch 😳🤕

Its funny until it happens to you then it is not so funny anymore, just like my son I wanted to laugh but held it back and then wanted to cry because it was my son, that's just the Dad in me and wanting to do everything I can to protect my own

• Like 1

Great video! In high school,I watched two friends pass a cholla clump back and forth several times to each other on a field trip- they kept flinging it off their arms into the air and it flew accidentally onto the other- funniest thing ever.

Ever notice how woodrats collect and use cholla clumps to protect their homes? When I was a kid, I was exploring around an old miners shack and saw a newspaper posted on the opposite wall from the entrance- so I walked in across the room to read it but didn’t look down. The entire floor was coated in cholla.  I had to throw away my tennis shoes after that one.

*I always wear boots while hiking now.

• Like 2