Just How Difficult Would It Be, If Needed, To Replace The Garrett Axiom Interior Li-ion Battery?

dirtman

Curious as all hell about this question.

Would it be possible for the Owner/Layman to do the procedure at home ?

Or is this something the Factory recommends you send the unit in to them for ?

Approximate Cost ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

😁🤠

• Thanks 1

The best way to get an accurate answer would be to contact Garrett. With my Equinox going strong after four years it was not something that concerned me with the Axiom, so I’ve never asked. I’m sure any reasonably competent person can split the case and do it themselves after the warranty expires. What the battery might cost I do not know, nor whether trying to do it yourself before the warranty expires would void your warranty. All questions for Garrett as I doubt anyone else knows, unless a forum member has already called them and asked.

Online Contact Form

EMAIL
Sport Division
sales@garrett.com 

Garrett Electronics, Inc.
1881 W. State St.
Garland, TX 75042 

Phone:
1-(972) 843-5324
1-800-234-6151 USA and Canada

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, dirtman said:

Curious as all hell about this question.

Would it be possible for the Owner/Layman to do the procedure at home ?

Or is this something the Factory recommends you send the unit in to them for ?

Manufacturers typically rate a Li Ion battery at 1000 cycles of full discharge and full recharge or three (3) years. If daily battery drawdown and recharge is reduced to 60 per cent the battery life would be extended out to approximately five years. During this time period the battery capacity will drop from the initial 100 per cent. Per Garrett the Axiom battery is stated to be 16 hours, daily drawdown and recharge appears to be built in, the life of the battery will depend on daily usage.
The advantage of a external mounted battery is the ability of the end user to replace the battery after the capacity drops below 80 per cent or more. Another advantage is if two batteries are rotated such as one is in use while the second battery is recharging extends the life of both batteries.
Garrett Metal Detectors will need to address the cost and complexity of replacing the Axiom internal battery by the end user and the effect, if any, on the two warranty period. 

• Like 2

I have a 13 year old GPX 4500 battery that still lasts a full day no problems and doesn't feel any worse than my new battery for life, charges to 8.1 volts when new they charge to 8.2 or 8.3 volts.  They're just a battery pack with 18650's in them.

I think too much concern is placed on batteries, good quality batteries seem to have a really good life.  Look how many of us are still using our Nox and the battery behaves virtually like new, when did it come out? I can't even remember 2017 I think and I got one straight away, it's been drained and charged countless times.  I charge it before every use.

I wouldn't be concerned about the Axiom battery, I'm sure they've gone for a good quality one and when the time comes they do start to degrade I am confident Garrett will come to the party by having reasonable replacement costs involved, anything's going to be cheaper than a GPX 4500/5000 battery, they're an absolute rip off.

Hopefully Garrett reply with DIY instructions for those wanting to take it on, it may even be a battery/batteries you can buy off the shelf somewhere which I think is likely.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I went back and forth with Garrett questioning Battery Replacement Costs on the Axiom.

Finally arrived at an answer I would accept.

When needed it seems the Factory will be handling the replacement at what I would deem a "very reasonable" cost, certainly not outrageous in my experienced opinion.

They did not want to be quoted on exacting figures but per our conversation I have faith in their representations.

So that being said I'm a happy camper with my Outlook on ever owning an Axiom one day soon guys an gals.

Happy Huntn.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dirtman said:

I went back and forth with Garrett questioning Battery Replacement Costs on the Axiom.

Finally arrived at an answer I would accept.

When needed it seems the Factory will be handling the replacement at what I would deem a "very reasonable" cost, certainly not outrageous in my experienced opinion.

They did not want to be quoted on exacting figures but per our conversation I have faith in their representations.

So that being said I'm a happy camper with my Outlook on ever owning an Axiom one day soon guys an gals.

Happy Huntn.

Not sure why you had to negotiate with them, but it probably had to do with the fact that all battery replacements are probably covered by the warranty for the next two years, so they haven't really thought about it from a customer cost standpoint.  Probably the main sticking point is that if it has to be factory replaced, then the question of who pays for shipping of the entire detector back to the factory comes to into play.  In any event, not something you'll probably have to worry about for several years down the line.  If it fails out of the gate (or within the first 2 years), you are covered by the warranty.  Considering the cost of the detector, I would imagine anything less than $100 would be considered reasonable (that's 2.5% the MAP of the detector) and I'm sure it's probably half of that.  Glad you eventually got a reasonable answer.

• Like 1