New To Detecting, Question About 1 And 2 On Vdi

Gary985112

Is anything worthwhile ever going to ring up as a 1 or 2? Like, could you find a gold ring at 1 on the VDI on the equinox 800? I was just wondering if these ultra low conductivity numbers will be trash or have a chance at being gold or something of value? It's right next to the trash range so just checking to see what everyone things. 

I do beach detecting if this matters 🙂

• Like 2

20220513_180733.thumb.jpg.ae4e2a5e564c6cfe4b1e877a3d5bca46.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gary985112 said:

Is anything worthwhile ever going to ring up as a 1 or 2?

The short answer is, unfortunately, yes.

Got a 10k gold wave ring on a beach in Savannah that was a 1. Since then I've dug a lot of round bottle seals...

😵 Sorry to break the news.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Got a 10k gold wave ring on a beach in Savannah that was a 1. Since then I've dug a lot of round bottle seals...

Haha dang, that is certainly crazy. Everything that I get to ring up as a 1 or 2 on the beach is crumbled up aluminum foil (like the kind in candy wrappers or mints)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

20220513_180733.thumb.jpg.ae4e2a5e564c6cfe4b1e877a3d5bca46.jpg

Very awesome picture though! Wow that is crazy to have that ring up as a 1, I guess because of the weight being light and gold being not very conductive?

1 minute ago, Gary985112 said:

Very awesome picture though! Wow that is crazy to have that ring up as a 1, I guess because of the weight being light and gold being not very conductive?

Yes. It didn't have a Hallmark or "k" number, had to test it to prove it. I've since collected all 3, Rose gold and silver too. Dug it up near the exit.

Odds are you'll find a few of these, lucky that the others ID a bit higher. 😀

One of my experienced detecting buddies always says, "if you're not digging foil, you're not finding gold".

One day we were hunting VA Beach, and his Equinox 800 didn't find the 14k gold chain at all, but he saw it. My D2 was blind to it too, so I tweaked it later to ensure that wouldn't happen again. 🤔

Welcome to detecting! 🤷‍♂️ 😀

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Yes. It didn't have a Hallmark or "k" number, had to test it to prove it. I've since collected all 3, Rose gold and silver too. Dug it up near the exit.

Odds are you'll find a few of these, lucky that the others ID a bit higher. 😀

One of my experienced detecting buddies always says, "if you're not digging foil, you're not finding gold".

One day we were hunting VA Beach, and his Equinox 800 didn't find the 14k gold chain at all, but he saw it. My D2 was blind to it too, so I tweaked it later to ensure that wouldn't happen again. 🤔

Welcome to detecting! 🤷‍♂️ 😀

Haha thanks for the advice 🙂 I'm still digging a lot of foil just because its so easy to move the sand around and getting a feel for it. 

Wait, it didn't pick up the chain at all? Even going over it? Was iron bias the reason? Or was there another reason as to why the 800 didnt pick it up?

6 minutes ago, Gary985112 said:

Wait, it didn't pick up the chain at all? Even going over it? Was iron bias the reason? Or was there another reason as to why the 800 didnt pick it up?

You might have to wait on this one for the folks who most deeply understand why this happens, but yeah, it happened. They will probably step in now. 🙂

It's probably a discrimination thing on the D2, can't remember what I did to make it stand out. Might have removed discrimination completely. I always run my Equinox with the horseshoe button pushed to "on" so I hear everything. I've set up programs in the D2 to give tones for "all metal" as well. Some like that, some don't.

These rings aren't that big a deal as rings go, most others will be higher. Search for articles here that list VDI or TID numbers, that will help you a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, F350Platinum said:

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

You might have to wait on this one for the folks who most deeply understand why this happens, but yeah, it happened. They will probably step in now. 🙂

It's probably a discrimination thing on the D2, can't remember what I did to make it stand out. Might have removed discrimination completely. I always run my Equinox with the horseshoe button pushed to "on" so I hear everything. I've set up programs in the D2 to give tones for "all metal" as well. Some like that, some don't.

These rings aren't that big a deal as rings go, most others will be higher. Search for articles here that list VDI or TID numbers, that will help you a bit.

Sure thing, no problem at all 🙂 I was just wondering. I run horseshoe on always. Does that "remove" discrimination technically? I am wondering if it would pick up the gold chain with horseshoe. Yea definitely it seems complex. So weird, my 800 will pick up the SMALLEST targets I am noticing. I have heard similar things about missing gold chains and I was always wondering why since it seems to happen a lot. 

22 minutes ago, Gary985112 said:

So weird, my 800 will pick up the SMALLEST targets I am noticing.

That's the beauty of the Equinox, and what it's revered for 👍. I love mine. I've found both the earring and the tiny clasp 3 feet apart! 😀They get flung off towels.

From all I've read here another thing that will give you fits (if you find it not being detected) is an open gold hoop earring.

The heavy hitters can explain it much better than me, but it has something to do with the shapes.

I found that ring my first beach hunt, and a 10k ring on a hill behind my house, that was in my first year. Nether was marked so somebody took me under their wing and showed me how to test gold with an acid kit. Forgot about those... 🤔 This past year I've found 4 hallmarked gold rings! But I only go to the beach a few times a year.

"Persistence pays off" is another tenet of metal detecting. 🤣

Sorry to always jump in man, I'm testing my knowledge of the subject, and looks like I'm doing ok by the likes. 😎 Others will be along soon. 🙂

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

That's the beauty of the Equinox, and what it's revered for 👍. I love mine. I've found both the earring and the tiny clasp 3 feet apart! 😀They get flung off towels.

From all I've read here another thing that will give you fits (if you find it not being detected) is an open gold hoop earring.

The heavy hitters can explain it much better than me, but it has something to do with the shapes.

I found that ring my first beach hunt, and a 10k ring on a hill behind my house, that was in my first year. Nether was marked so somebody took me under their wing and showed me how to test gold with an acid kit. Forgot about those... 🤔 This past year I've found 4 hallmarked gold rings! But I only go to the beach a few times a year.

"Persistence pays off" is another tenet of metal detecting. 🤣

Sorry to always jump in man, I'm testing my knowledge of the subject, and looks like I'm doing ok by the likes. 😎 Others will be along soon. 🙂

That's awesome! 🙂 No feel free to chime in anytime ha. I love talking about metal detecting and I still have a lot to learn. I've found 3 hallmarked rings and I just all the time wonder if I am missing something. I want to make sure I am set up to find just about anything metal out there lol. 

• Like 2