Which 2nd Coil For Deus II

Capphd

46 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Ditto that!

10x5... 9.5x5... 9x5... any of those will do! 😏

I would even take a 6” round if it’s possible to stuff a battery and circuit board in it.  I have always (and still do) loved my 6” nox coil.  

• Like 2

I own 9”,11” and 13”. I bought 9” and 13” on Christmas and during last month I only used the little one. Had already used it on the first D1 months and I can say that it is very sensitive on little/very little targets, very light and, in my opinion, excellent on plowed fields. Perfect choice for the woods. 11” is of course the quintessential all rounder but...I haven’t used 13” on open fields yet. Have to test 9” vs 13” on high mineralized soils because I want to understand the difference on little thin low conductors. 11” is really performing on mineralized soils. I’ll share here my tests. 👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NCtoad said:

That 11x13 looks so much bigger than the 11”.  Has anyone actually measured the width of both?   From your pic the 11x13 looks a little wider than the 11”.  It’s probably just the perspective.  

It is the exact same width and one inch longer in the heel and one inch longer in the toe. It’s foot print is a bit larger than that. Dwarfs the 9”  All and all I think it’s not worth the money over the eleven inch. JMHO. I do find it being used more than the 11” at the beach though. Mostly psychological I think though. They all pin point well for me in the sand. The weight of the 13” is not really that noticeable unless compared to the 9” on my XP lite shaft. I still think though the 11” is the one to beat.

• Like 5

I too have 9” and 11” coils, having started using the 11” only until the 9” became available. I think the 11” is ideal when I want greater coverage first plus depth section. It’s not heavy and works well in any environment. I still use 9” coil 80% of the time. 

• Like 6

Purchased my machine with the 9" and have not desired to go larger, am very weight sensitive due to shoulder injury. I also prefer the smaller 9" when going into the water; a lot less wave motion when in the big lake. I would also like to see a 9"x5" for use in the rocks and woods..

• Like 3

Now I'm rethinking this whole thing. I mainly just want another coil to make a WS Master rig and to also have as a backup. I got the 9" with the D2 almost a year ago and haven't really needed a larger coil. 

I had the 6", 11", and 12x15" with my previous detector and 98% of the time I just used the 11", until the 10x5" came out, then I just used the 10X5" and never used anything else. I originally got the 12x15" coil for large sports fields and the few times we went to the beach on vacation, but in both types of locations, I remember I ditched the 12x15" and just went with the 11" and 10x5" to save weight, which at my age is preferable to gaining an inch or two coverage per swing.

I realize the D2 and D2 coils are much lighter, but let's look at the breakdown:

9" coil = 345g (12.17oz)

11" coil = 470g (16.57oz)

11x13" coil = 570g (20.11oz)

9.5x5" coil (if it existed) = 300g (10.58oz)

To go from the 9" to 11" coil adds 125g (4.4oz), but to go from the 9" to 11x13" coil adds 225g (7.95oz). 

I can handle lifting a quarter pound. I do it at McDonalds all the time. But adding a half pound is something I'll have to think more about.

Now if the imaginary 9.5x5" coil weighed 300g (10.58oz), then that would knock off 45g (1.59oz)!

So add 1/4 pound or 1/2 pound or lose a couple of ounces... I think I see which would be the best way to go. 😏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Now I'm rethinking this whole thing. I mainly just want another coil to make a WS Master rig and to also have as a backup. I got the 9" with the D2 almost a year ago and haven't really needed a larger coil. 

I had the 6", 11", and 12x15" with my previous detector and 98% of the time I just used the 11", until the 10x5" came out, then I just used the 10X5" and never used anything else. I originally got the 12x15" coil for large sports fields and the few times we went to the beach on vacation, but in both types of locations, I remember I ditched the 12x15" and just went with the 11" and 10x5" to save weight, which at my age is preferable to gaining an inch or two coverage per swing.

I realize the D2 and D2 coils are much lighter, but let's look at the breakdown:

9" coil = 345g (12.17oz)

11" coil = 470g (16.57oz)

11x13" coil = 570g (20.11oz)

9.5x5" coil (if it existed) = 300g (10.58oz)

To go from the 9" to 11" coil adds 125g (4.4oz), but to go from the 9" to 11x13" coil adds 225g (7.95oz). 

I can handle lifting a quarter pound. I do it at McDonalds all the time. But adding a half pound is something I'll have to think more about.

Now if the imaginary 9.5x5" coil weighed 300g (10.58oz), then that would knock off 45g (1.59oz)!

So add 1/4 pound or 1/2 pound or lose a couple of ounces... I think I see which would be the best way to go. 😏

To be honest, I would have no problem ever buying another coil and just continuing to use the 9” coil.  That 9” coil is the goldilocks of coil sizes….at least for the D2 and the hunting I do.  If I need something smaller I have my nox set up and ready to go with the 6” coil.  In reality I don’t think a larger or smaller coil for the D2 would pay for itself with finds over and above what the 9 will get.  Maybe if I did a lot of beach hunting…maybe?  BUT, it’s always fun to buy a new toy and have specific tools for specific jobs!  I guess I’m just rambling here.  Lol

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NCtoad said:

To be honest, I would have no problem ever buying another coil and just continuing to use the 9” coil.  That 9” coil is the goldilocks of coil sizes….at least for the D2 and the hunting I do.  If I need something smaller I have my nox set up and ready to go with the 6” coil.  In reality I don’t think a larger or smaller coil for the D2 would pay for itself with finds over and above what the 9 will get.  Maybe if I did a lot of beach hunting…maybe?  BUT, it’s always fun to buy a new toy and have specific tools for specific jobs!  I guess I’m just rambling here.  Lol

Well outa likes again, but you're absolutely right NCt. I will end up getting a larger coil to have for the stable but will use the 9" primarily because it works great for my hunting sites. The only reason I want that 9.5x5" is to get into tight crevices and in between dense foliage like trees, cacti, bushes, etc, that the 9" round can't get into, and to not have to change to another detector to do it. Call me lazy, but just I want to detect with my D2, and if that's wrong, I don't want to be right. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1