Old Button

Here in the UK folks use to use old coins or tokens to make buttons that had fallen off clothing,as alot of country folk did not have access to buttons etc,so improvised on what ever they could and old coin/tokens could be adapted and used and i think this may be the case here as well.

• Like 3

Posting the other side might help identify it. It does look like a coin but not one I've seen. 🤔

the other side is missing is the reason its not a coin....it must be a button of some sort....i dont know what the symbols mean....sorry that i dont have more info but thats what im looking for...thanks 

5 hours ago, RickUK said:

Here in the UK folks use to use old coins or tokens to make buttons that had fallen off clothing,as alot of country folk did not have access to buttons etc,so improvised on what ever they could and old coin/tokens could be adapted and used and i think this may be the case here as well.

that makes sense to me...that very well could be the case...just was wondering what the symbols might be....thank you sir... 

From a Europeans' view, it looks a lot like later Nuremberg/Low Countries Jettons. The 'decoration' around the border is an ornamental feature, loosely based on what would've been a real legible inscription. Sometimes they are referred to as 'blundered inscriptions' , just random letters/shapes in a pattern. The eagle is probably the spread eagle of Germany/Austria/Prussia that is depicted.
The holes in it are far too neat to be home-made, so I don't think it's a repurposed item.
My best suggestion is it's a button, that takes it's design cues from a late-1600's Jetton.
An example of a common-ish 'nonsense inscription' jetton is the 'Venus Penny':
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/921901

And the French idea of decorative nonsense:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/887679

• Like 2