The True Meaning Of January 24, 1848 Gold 'discovery' In California

mn90403

Gold was discovered before January 24, 1848 in California but it was James Marshall who started the Gold Rush!

The Discovery of Gold in California

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hmmmm will not load for me, error can`t reach the page. Any suggestions.

It works for me.

by Donald C. Cutter

The following historical account of the discovery of gold in California has been slightly amended and updated from the original: Cutter, Donald C., 1948, The Discovery of Gold in California, [in] Geologic Guidebook Along Highway 49 – Sierran Gold Belt – The Mother Lode Country: California Division of Mines Bulletin 141, p.13-17. The original article was written in celebration of The Centennial of the Discovery of Gold in California, 1848 - 1948. The article was well researched and remains a classic account of those early events associated with the gold discovery and mining in California.

• Like 1

Still no joy, think it might be something to do with my Satellite Internet, can load others but not that particular "amended and updated" version from that website. Not to worry it is a rich history we share some of those adventurers as they must have viewed the world as their backyard even with the difficulties of transport etc. of that era.

It is a California State Government website.  I wonder if your provider doesn't want you to see it.  I could make jokes but I'll wonder why it doesn't work until we get you there.

https://www.conservation.ca.gov/

10 hours ago, Norvic said:

will not load for me,

Good. I don't want you driving over here to my gold fields and discovering how easy it is to become filthy rich detecting the Sierra Nevada mountains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 1

Way back when say around 1962 I was in the service and my wife worked for a jewelry store and the owner was buying gold at 55 per ounce. The government had the price fixed at 35 per ounce. The place was Merced California . I spent my off time along the 49ers trail and wanted to go back after I got out service but my wife didn’t. I could have got me another wife but miss a dream of a life time.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

yep, I have to use a US VPN to see it, worried we will flood over there and start a new gold rush I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Moving away from the subject of why the California government site won't work for you 'outsiders' ... here is a site that should work and tell the story without censorship by our paternal state.

Gold Rush: California, Date & Sutter’s Mill - HISTORY - HISTORY

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Moving away from the subject of why the California government site won't work for you 'outsiders' ... here is a site that should work and tell the story without censorship by our paternal state.

Gold Rush: California, Date & Sutter’s Mill - HISTORY - HISTORY

blocked.thumb.jpg.94e1e6e7a829ce285cc05ee7b008501a.jpg

🙂