Arg! My Speaker Quit!

Cal_

4 hours ago, Cal_ said:

v1.09

was it updated to 1.09 by you or the Dealer you purchased from, and you can tell if it was updated to 1.09 or was already 1.09 from the factory, the manual that came with your Legend will say what version it was from the factory, if the manual says any thing other than 1.09 on the face of the manual then your Legend is most likely an earlier version and was updated to 1.09

the reason I am questioning you is because from my understanding Legends that came with 1.09 from the factory were supposed to have the newly updated speaker in them and should not be going out according to Nokta

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sirius said:

Likely is. Some people use their legend for many months with no problems . My Legend came in with v.1.07 so I hope it's not one of the bad ones!

My first legend was in the first batch that came to the U.S so it was 1.04 so I know it has one of the first speakers that was used, but I have had absolutely no issues, I also do not run my volume maxed out on my Legend when just using the external speaker, when I am using the headphones i do run max volume in the Legend, again I have had no issues with the speaker at all

My second Legend which I purchased to try to teach my wife how to detect was 1.05 and I had the dealer I purchased it from to update to 1.07 my second one I have also had no issues with the speaker quitting, but again I do not run either of my legends at max volume unless I am using headphones.

• Like 1

There really isn't a need to run it at max volume unless you have trouble hearing it. Even with headphones I can hear plenty (even deep targets however faint), so I usually keep it at 1 or 2. I guess i'd be more concerned if perhaps submerging it causes the speaker to break faster? Though it's not much of an issue unless you're diving with it or you get caught by a rogue wave. 
Thus, I would conclude that it's probably just faulty hardware for some of the speakers and it's good that they addressed the issue early on for the most part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sirius said:

There really isn't a need to run it at max volume unless you have trouble hearing it. Even with headphones I can hear plenty (even deep targets however faint), so I usually keep it at 1 or 2. I guess i'd be more concerned if perhaps submerging it causes the speaker to break faster? Though it's not much of an issue unless you're diving with it or you get caught by a rogue wave. 
Thus, I would conclude that it's probably just faulty hardware for some of the speakers and it's good that they addressed the issue early on for the most part.

Well my point is if yours came with 1.09 from the factory, and the speaker went out it should not have if they actually upgraded the speakers.

Like I said I do not max my volume out when detecting with the external speaker but I do when using the wireless headphones because the threshold does not work correctly with wireless headphones unless you do max the volume on the Legend, at least it does not on either of my two Legends, either way the speakers should have never started blowing and yes I agree with you that at least Nokta will fix them when the do blow, its just irritating to spend good money on a detector and then the speaker blows

All I know for sure is the device was shipped to me with v1.09 from a reputable Metal Detector dealer and the speaker stopped working.  I do not know for sure but have no reason to believe the dealer who shipped it to me opened the box and upgraded the software prior to shipping.  I did not run the device at maximum volume and even if I had the speaker should not have failed.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cal_ said:

So yours could have vary well been one of the earlier versions and the dealer updated to 1.09

not sure when the updated speakers started going into the Legend but, I believe it was 1.08 which was quickly changed to 1.09 so lets call it 1.09

if you look at the manual that came with yours you will know if it was an earlier version that was updated or not the version is rite on the front cover of the included manual if your legend was 1.09 from the factory then it will say it on the cover of the manual, i do know of a couple of legend users that just a few weeks ago received a version 1.04 Legend the 1.04 version was the vary first Legends that hit the U.S

and you are correct the speakers should have never been an issue to begin with even in the first version Legends

4 hours ago, DSMITH said:

you are correct the speakers should have never been an issue to begin with even in the first version Legends

How do you propose Nokta could have avoided getting a bad batch of speakers? Especially considering that those speakers initially worked fine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Digalicious said:

How do you propose Nokta could have avoided getting a bad batch of speakers? Especially considering that those speakers initially worked fine. 

not blaming Nokta at all I am just saying the speaker issue should have never happened, Nokta has been a stand up company from the start, and made necessary repairs 

I still believe the speaker issue is because at max volume the speaker is being over driven, because at a setting of 6 on the Legend the speaker is vary loud with no need to be ran at 6 when using just the external speaker

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DSMITH said:

was it updated to 1.09 by you or the Dealer you purchased from, and you can tell if it was updated to 1.09 or was already 1.09 from the factory, the manual that came with your Legend will say what version it was from the factory, if the manual says any thing other than 1.09 on the face of the manual then your Legend is most likely an earlier version and was updated to 1.09

the reason I am questioning you is because from my understanding Legends that came with 1.09 from the factory were supposed to have the newly updated speaker in them and should not be going out according to Nokta

According to Bart Davis of Big Boy Hobbies (where my Legend came from) Nokta does not allow dealers to upgrade them.