Are The Minelab Manticore Users Just Beta Testers?

Without knowing?  It may be possible allowing Minelab a chance to correct any problems it may have before we all can get one?

I asked Tom D why the rollout is so slow. His response: "Most of the parts that make up the Manticore..... are easy to acquire. A couple of the components are S L O W to procure. {{{Contradicting: vender 'promises'}}} One of these (slow) components.....we think we have fully remedied. The other (slow) component......... we are (fairly-rapidly) resolving."

• Like 1

I don't think so, while other brands such as First Texas have certainly used buyers as beta testers the Manticore seems a finished product to me, all modern detectors will get firmware upgrades to fix issues found once out in the public domain, look at the Legend, fix after fix for it's firmware, hardware issues too with a bad brand of speaker prone to failure used in the first released detectors.   It happens....  although some might argue the Legend was rushed to  market not ready for release.

I'm sure many old detectors from the 90's and 2000's could have been improved a lot after release too, the facility just wasn't there with USB updating. 

Overall so far I'm very happy with my Manticore.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't think so, while other brands such as First Texas have certainly used buyers as beta testers the Manticore seems a finished product to me, all modern detectors will get firmware upgrades to fix issues found once out in the public domain, look at the Legend, fix after fix for it's firmware, hardware issues too with a bad brand of speaker prone to failure used in the first released detectors.   It happens....  although some might argue the Legend was rushed to  market not ready for release.

I'm sure many old detectors from the 90's and 2000's could have been improved a lot after release too, the facility just wasn't there with USB updating. 

They were. But you had to buy the next series to get one more improved feature. How companies got your cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

At least with the legend---Nokta brought out updates to "fix" problems as they were discovered.-----Without "sitting" on  known problem areas for SIX YEARS----can we say Equinox!-----With the Manticore---who knows?---It's too early to tell.

• Like 3

True that, they never fixed the Nox pinpoint bug volume issue, they appear to have fixed it on the Manticore though as it hasn't happened to me yet.

I doubt Minelab will be much different when it comes to Manticore firmware updates, we may get one if something pops up that they're forced to fix by public discontent, otherwise anything will probably just end up in the Manticore 2.

5 minutes ago, D&P-OR said:

At least with the legend---Nokta brought out updates to "fix" problems as they were discovered.-----Without "sitting" on  known problem areas for SIX YEARS----can we say Equinox!-----With the Manticore---who knows?---It's too early to tell.

That, and to the best of memory, the only significant software issue, was with falsing in some salt conditions. That was fixed up really fast. The other updates were mainly user requests.

The only hardware issue is the speaker, but Nokta got right on that by getting a new speaker supplier.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

That, and to the best of memory, the only significant software issue, was with falsing in some salt conditions. That was fixed up really fast. The other updates were mainly user requests.

The only hardware issue is the speaker, but Nokta got right on that by getting a new speaker supplier.

Good point----I do think most of the Legend updates were provided because of user requests---but---we (John Q Public) were the "testers". 🙂----I see an individual just recently had a speaker problem---but perhaps he purchased one of the earlier releases.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

How are you liking its performance in iron?  The reviews on this aspect of the Manticore are quite varied and it is very hard to discern who knows how to use the detector and who doesn't.

• Like 2