Are The Minelab Manticore Users Just Beta Testers?

16 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

How are you liking its performance in iron?  The reviews on this aspect of the Manticore are quite varied and it is very hard to discern who knows how to use the detector and who doesn't.

I'm quite fortunate I live in a place with very little iron issues, I'm more likely to find a silver coin than a nail.

Short answer: Yes

Why?

It is the new business model anytime technology is involved. Technology changes and moves so fast and there is usually a gap between what the IT and engineers feel is ‘right’ and what happens off the bench, in the real world.

Examples before Minelab are Apple iPhones and iPads, Tesla, new vehicles, certainly new RVs rely on the consumer to provide feedback and the end user sometimes report safety issues which initiate recalls. Even the Airbus has been updated as real world events ‘test’ the engineers best guess at real world use, sometimes with bad consequences.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, steveg said:

The reason is, the way the unit behaves in iron can be altered to an enormously immense degree (I hope I stressed that enough) SIMPLY based on your limits settings.  That is the entire POINT of the limits settings...to give the user enormous amounts of control over the machine's behavior in and around iron.  

I was going to say this Steve, but you said it better than I could.

Setting ferrous limits, setting ferrous pitch, setting ferrous volume, and setting recovery speed all come into play as to what the user hears and sees on the display around iron.

It's like YOU have the control of how your detector operates around iron. I'm still playing with my settings but am liking the machines performance so far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I was going to say this Steve, but you said it better than I could.

Setting ferrous limits, setting ferrous pitch, setting ferrous volume, and setting recovery speed all come into play as to what the user hears and sees on the display around iron.

It's like YOU have the control of how your detector operates around iron. I'm still playing with my settings but am liking the machines performance so far.

Brad -- not so sure, LOL!  After all, look how you said basically what I did, and yet with so many fewer words!  😉  

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steveg said:

The reason is, the way the unit behaves in iron can be altered to an enormously immense degree (I hope I stressed that enough) SIMPLY based on your limits settings.  That is the entire POINT of the limits settings...to give the user enormous amounts of control over the machine's behavior in and around iron.  ...

Just my two cents...

Steve

Yes but with a Deus ( 1 or 2 ) , the machine is already excellent in the irons using the default modes , this without having to change any setting and to spend hours to find the best settings .  Going a little off topic as it is not a Detector comparison thread but I could not resist to react to this ... Just my two cents too ... 🙂

• Like 5

Let's take a look at some considerations:

1) No one that I know likes to have to return a detector (or other device) for a fix/repair.

2) Modern detectors, at least most of the higher end ones, now have the capability of software upgrades available to the user, so no physical return is necessary for a software fix/upgrade.

3) Some modern higher end detectors (e.g. XP Deus 1 and 2, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox and Manticore) take considerable time to learn for most people, at least for those who want to optimize settings for the highest performance in their sites.

4) There is no requirement to buy ASAP, even for people who know they want the new model.

So, short of hardware issues that require a return, there is zero downside for those who want the detector ASAP, and those who want to wait for things to settle down have that option.  It's a win-win.  It's an easy choice for me.  Rather than waiting months for the manufacturer to find every bug, small or large (and realistically we all know, or should know that is just about impossible today) I can be using and especially learning this detector on-the-fly.  Will I have to 'unlearn' something because of a future change?  Maybe, but I'll still be months ahead on the learning curve.

P.S. Back when I bought my first new vehicle (1977), there was already a piece of advice tossed about -- wait for the second year of a model before purchasing.  So unless 45 years is like yesterday (and it does seem like that as I've aged :sad:), this isn't a new occurrence and it didn't start with consumer electronics.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, steveg said:

Bill,

Just my opinion, but I would NOT put much stock into most reviews of the Manticore that are currently out there, with respect to how it "performs in iron."  

The reason is, the way the unit behaves in iron can be altered to an enormously immense degree (I hope I stressed that enough) SIMPLY based on your limits settings.  That is the entire POINT of the limits settings...to give the user enormous amounts of control over the machine's behavior in and around iron.  

AND SO, when you couple that with the newness of the machine (thus making pretty much EVERYONE very "green" in terms of their understanding of such a powerful, somewhat complex, and potentially misunderstood aspect of the machine), I will therefore state fairly boldly that almost NO ONE has yet mastered this aspect of the machine.  Unmasking is an "expert-level" skill to begin with, and then when you couple that with the fact that you can make many nails report anywhere from "100 percent non-ferrous tone" to "100 percent ferrous tone," and ANYWHERE in between, simply based on how you have your limits set, you can see how this would be arguably the most difficult aspect of the machine to truly master...taking many, many hours of dedicated use of the unit in the iron, before one could offer a somewhat "definitive" statement about the unit's skill in the iron.

I am not sure how many Manticore users yet fully understand the 2D screen itself (especially those with no FBS background), LET ALONE the proper (and often site-specific) limits adjustments, to even BEGIN to comment on the machine's skill, or lack thereof, in the iron...

Just my two cents...

Steve

Steve,

I couldn't agree more.  My reason for asking Phrunt his opinion is precisely because he is skilled hunter.  I'm just burned out on all of these knee-jerk YouTube reviewers who hunt for an hour and render a verdict on a detector. 

• Like 6