Are The Minelab Manticore Users Just Beta Testers?

I certainly wouldn't say I'm skilled in iron, put me in some of the places you guys hunt and I'd panic not knowing what to do or how to deal with it, I've been spoilt with my hunting areas that trash has never really been much of a problem, even in my worst spots all that is required is a smaller coil and I'm pretty good.  Masked targets are relatively uncommon for me, big areas, few targets.

I even hear people saying their gold prospecting areas are loaded with trash, here I've rarely found any modern trash in a gold area other than bullets and shotgun pellets.  Some of the more rare trash items like old metal match boxes which can be a pain as they rust away and break apart into bits and the odd square nail there isn't all that much junk.  I think I've found less than 10 nails prospecting my entire time. If shotgun pellets didn't exist I'd dig more gold than I would junk when prospecting, something like 10 bits of gold to 1 bit of junk wouldn't surprise me.

Even in my park type areas coins are often more common than junk, the worst place for junk I've been finding is lakefronts which is such a shame as the lakes are beautiful clean clear things and clowns throw bottle caps down on the rocky beaches when they're sitting there drinking I guess, sadly this is more common on the heavily used tourist beaches more so than the more hidden spots locals only go to. 

I detected this beach for 4 hours with my Manticore, it was one of my first times using it once it arrived, I found ZERO targets, not one target in that 4 hours.  If I didn't know better I'd not have a good impression of the Manticore after that hunt, but I was at the same beach a year ago and with the Nox and only found one target, someones car key from memory.  The surprising thing is this beach is a 10 minute drive from the city center of the second biggest city in the South Island, and has suburbs go right to the beach and houses all along next to the beach, why there is no targets on the beach I have no idea, people just don't litter so all I can find is something someone has lost.... not an easy task.

IMG20230119173516.thumb.jpg.4fcd1a6cc17f2eb4b8e711c469ecb4f0.jpg

IMG20230119173505.thumb.jpg.c52a0aa5eaafeea9e692b0f4e8646235.jpg

At this beach I would have been happy to find some junk, at least then I'd find a target to experience my Manticore finding targets!

So no, I'm not a skilled detector user although I thank you for the comment, I am just lucky I live in a place with not much junk, very few detector users so more targets in the ground to find, and by the looks of it some of the more milder soils around, all this makes for some easy detecting so generally I am just a turn on and go detector user, not needing to delve deep into settings. 

I don't think Manticore owners are beta testers, 3 years in development based on existing technology of the Nox that's been around for 4-5 years now, it to me is an Equinox where they've put on a better screen which then allowed them to add on 2D target trace visuals which is just a modified simplified version of the CTX target trace which has been around what, a decade?  If anything the original Nox users were the beta testers as it was the first detector based upon Multi-IQ, and for the most part Minelab did a fine job of the software on it, a few updates were required, they never did fix the pinpoint volume bug on it but overall it appeared a well tested machine with only build quality letting it down.  They've now improved that on the Nox 700/900 and Manticore, based upon data they gathered from the original Nox, the detector that would be more likely considered a beta detector, being the first in the range.

I'd be interested to hear if the pinpoint bug is fixed on the 700/900.

• Like 9

For what it's worth, I think the Manticore is probably Minelabs most rounded and complete detector to date for a coin/relic/jewelry hunter.  We've only scratched the surface of settings and capabilities.  Just running it in stock programs, they've done a A+ job in my opinion.  If it holds up in the water without leaking...then they've knocked this one out of the park.  My one wish with it...is I wish it had the red backlight like the Nox 900. And that's it.  With the incoming coils for it, I couldn't think of anything else I would add to it.  

• Like 8

21 hours ago, phrunt said:

I certainly wouldn't say I'm skilled in iron, put me in some of the places you guys hunt and I'd panic not knowing what to do or how to deal with it, I've been spoilt with my hunting areas that trash has never really been much of a problem, even in my worst spots all that is required is a smaller coil and I'm pretty good.  Masked targets are relatively uncommon for me, big areas, few targets.

I even hear people saying their gold prospecting areas are loaded with trash, here I've rarely found any modern trash in a gold area other than bullets and shotgun pellets.  Some of the more rare trash items like old metal match boxes which can be a pain as they rust away and break apart into bits and the odd square nail there isn't all that much junk.  I think I've found less than 10 nails prospecting my entire time. If shotgun pellets didn't exist I'd dig more gold than I would junk when prospecting, something like 10 bits of gold to 1 bit of junk wouldn't surprise me.

Even in my park type areas coins are often more common than junk, the worst place for junk I've been finding is lakefronts which is such a shame as the lakes are beautiful clean clear things and clowns throw bottle caps down on the rocky beaches when they're sitting there drinking I guess, sadly this is more common on the heavily used tourist beaches more so than the more hidden spots locals only go to. 

I detected this beach for 4 hours with my Manticore, it was one of my first times using it once it arrived, I found ZERO targets, not one target in that 4 hours.  If I didn't know better I'd not have a good impression of the Manticore after that hunt, but I was at the same beach a year ago and with the Nox and only found one target, someones car key from memory.  The surprising thing is this beach is a 10 minute drive from the city center of the second biggest city in the South Island, and has suburbs go right to the beach and houses all along next to the beach, why there is no targets on the beach I have no idea, people just don't litter so all I can find is something someone has lost.... not an easy task.

IMG20230119173516.thumb.jpg.4fcd1a6cc17f2eb4b8e711c469ecb4f0.jpg

IMG20230119173505.thumb.jpg.c52a0aa5eaafeea9e692b0f4e8646235.jpg

At this beach I would have been happy to find some junk, at least then I'd find a target to experience my Manticore finding targets!

So no, I'm not a skilled detector user although I thank you for the comment, I am just lucky I live in a place with not much junk, very few detector users so more targets in the ground to find, and by the looks of it some of the more milder soils around, all this makes for some easy detecting so generally I am just a turn on and go detector user, not needing to delve deep into settings. 

I don't think Manticore owners are beta testers, 3 years in development based on existing technology of the Nox that's been around for 4-5 years now, it to me is an Equinox where they've put on a better screen which then allowed them to add on 2D target trace visuals which is just a modified simplified version of the CTX target trace which has been around what, a decade?  If anything the original Nox users were the beta testers as it was the first detector based upon Multi-IQ, and for the most part Minelab did a fine job of the software on it, a few updates were required, they never did fix the pinpoint volume bug on it but overall it appeared a well tested machine with only build quality letting it down.  They've now improved that on the Nox 700/900 and Manticore, based upon data they gathered from the original Nox, the detector that would be more likely considered a beta detector, being the first in the range.

I'd be interested to hear if the pinpoint bug is fixed on the 700/900.

I took a break from reading your posts because I was actually out hunting for a few weeks solid. I'm happy you finally got a Manticore. It seems all I read was you crying for months about not getting 1 fast enough. Ok.

So now I read that you don't really have trash to worry about. Seldom do you deal with rusty nails , coins are more common than trash in parks , masking is not an issue , relatively barren beaches , etc , etc ,etc.

My big question then is why not just stick with your trusted Nox and save yourself (and us) all this aggravation ? Unless I'm reading this wrong , you don't really need a Manticore to do what the Nox has been doing for you all along. Just seems like you would be constantly setting yourself up for failure on every new release and never truly be happy with what you got. Never mastering any one detector. 

• Like 1

Not being a Manticore owner but having used Minelabs going back to my Sovereign XS (still miss that detector!), I personally see the Manticore being very much what I would call a "patterned" release.  What I by that it that once Minelab comes up with a new platform they implement a pattern of subsequent releases based upon that one until their next new tech arrives.  We went from BBS to FBS to Multi IQ with each starting off with a ground breaking new detector followed by derivative models based upon the platform.  This most reminds me of the the Etrac followed by the CTX 3030.  The Equinox to Manticore has the same feel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

I took a break from reading your posts because I was actually out hunting for a few weeks solid. I'm happy you finally got a Manticore. It seems all I read was you crying for months about not getting 1 fast enough. Ok.

So now I read that you don't really have trash to worry about. Seldom do you deal with rusty nails , coins are more common than trash in parks , masking is not an issue , relatively barren beaches , etc , etc ,etc.

My big question then is why not just stick with your trusted Nox and save yourself (and us) all this aggravation ? Unless I'm reading this wrong , you don't really need a Manticore to do what the Nox has been doing for you all along. Just seems like you would be constantly setting yourself up for failure on every new release and never truly be happy with what you got. Never mastering any one detector. 

A good question in all seriousness, potential purchasers of the Manticore including myself who are still on the fence will need to understand that any review Simon is generous enough to provide us with will be from using his machine in near perfect conditions.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Well it's simple, the Nox wasn't near as good on silver coins as my CTX in my soils.  This is especially true as most of my silver coins are deep having been in the ground a long time in soft soils and the CTX is certainly deeper than the Nox in this situation finding many coins I'd left behind with my Nox, without a doubt it is deeper.   

I found myself not using my Nox much at all anymore for coins after getting a CTX due to finding so many coins I'd missed with my Nox, I liked the CTX target trace too.  The problem is the Nox was lighter, less complicated and more compact, plus I could just take one detector as I could use the Nox for gold nuggets in the morning and then hit a park in the afternoon with it.  I liked it was an all rounder.

The Manticore ended up being a crossover between the Nox and CTX bringing the Target trace across to what I see as essentially an upgraded Nox.   They also touted it as deeper than the Nox, I'm yet to see this depth advantage although I haven't used it in the places that will take advantage of that as I was away for 6 weeks.  So far I'm very happy with my Manticore, the only downside is it has significantly less stable Target ID than the Nox perhaps due to the wider target ID range but there is something more to it as the numbers are often bouncing within 10 digits out not 2-3 out, I see Nox 900 users are reporting similar.   

For someone that's used both the Nox and the CTX the Manticore is not such a big learning curve, more a successive model.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Well it's simple, the Nox wasn't near as good on silver coins as my CTX in my soils.  This is especially true as most of my silver coins are deep having been in the ground a long time in soft soils and the CTX is certainly deeper than the Nox in this situation finding many coins I'd left behind with my Nox, without a doubt it is deeper.   

I found myself not using my Nox much at all anymore for coins after getting a CTX due to finding so many coins I'd missed with my Nox, I liked the CTX target trace too.  The problem is the Nox was lighter, less complicated and more compact, plus I could just take one detector as I could use the Nox for gold nuggets in the morning and then hit a park in the afternoon with it.  I liked it was an all rounder.

The Manticore ended up being a crossover between the Nox and CTX bringing the Target trace across to what I see as essentially an upgraded Nox.   They also touted it as deeper than the Nox, I'm yet to see this depth advantage although I haven't used it in the places that will take advantage of that as I was away for 6 weeks.  So far I'm very happy with my Manticore, the only downside is it has significantly less stable Target ID than the Nox perhaps due to the wider target ID range but there is something more to it as the numbers are often bouncing within 10 digits out not 2-3 out, I see Nox 900 users are reporting similar.   

For someone that's used both the Nox and the CTX the Manticore is not such a big learning curve, more a successive model.

Ahhh....OK. Thanks for clarification , it makes sense now as to why you wanted it so bad. Hope you get those bouncing #s figured out. Those are big gap swings. Looking forward to your successful hunts with it.

• Like 1

phrunt, are you anywhere near Auckland? Just read in the paper about the serious flooding there after a summer's worth of rain fell in one day. 

Hope all is well with you...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

phrunt, are you anywhere near Auckland? Just read in the paper about the serious flooding there after a summer's worth of rain fell in one day. 

Hope all is well with you...

Gladly I'm not near Auckland, opposite end of the country on a different Island, yes they have just had record breaking flooding with a lot of the city flooded, more rain came down in an hour than normally comes down in a month and it just kept going.  We are opposite down here, quite hot cloud free and we have water restrictions due to lack of rain.

• Like 2