Beach Hunting: Choosing Your Beaches Wisely

4 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I bought a wooden shovel handle from Home Depot which has been working fine for a long time. When you drop it in the water, it stays on the surface for easy retrieval without a noodle wrap.

Does it not bend from strain at the point where the handle attaches to the scoop? That's what happened to my aluminum handle.

2 hours ago, Sirius said:

Does it not bend from strain at the point where the handle attaches to the scoop? That's what happened to my aluminum handle.

No, my scoop has a 5" long stainless tube to insert the handle into. The tube is further supported by struts. Nothing bends.

• Like 1

Went to same beach again today. The gravel was still there and right in front of it was non gravelly sand. Found a chunk of change again and two pieces of silver with plenty of heavier junk mixed in. This area just keeps on giving.

• Like 1

Many of the beaches here are pounded by the locals and mostly sanded.

Towel lines and cuts been best for me. Labrador current and rip tides here make wading bit risky and sand fills in too fast. Besides I look really out of place with waders on in the middle of summer 🙂

River hunting I go for the lead edge of runs where you see gravel. If your hitting aluminum and sand your too far down.

Still use my old Whites/Rtg basket scoop, put a fine hole bottom insert for the tinies. Hard to beat a 1.8 lb scoop.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kac said:

Many of the beaches here are pounded by the locals and mostly sanded.

Towel lines and cuts been best for me. Labrador current and rip tides here make wading bit risky and sand fills in too fast. Besides I look really out of place with waders on in the middle of summer 🙂

River hunting I go for the lead edge of runs where you see gravel. If your hitting aluminum and sand your too far down.

Still use my old Whites/Rtg basket scoop, put a fine hole bottom insert for the tinies. Hard to beat a 1.8 lb scoop.

I'm hunting in the winter, so I'm not sure where the towel line is and it's probably been hunted out already by actual local detectorists. My best bet is the new stuff that keeps washing in at that gravel bed, but I will be checking out a nearby smaller new beach soon. As soon as my hands heal from over working them these past two days! :biggrin: 
Haven't seen many cuts, and the only cuts i've seen so far are from stuff getting sanded in. Waves are up to that cut already so it's tough to get into that area. I didn't find much when I went there last week. 
Thanks for the advice!

1 hour ago, Sirius said:

I'm hunting in the winter, so I'm not sure where the towel line is and it's probably been hunted out already by actual local detectorists. My best bet is the new stuff that keeps washing in at that gravel bed, but I will be checking out a nearby smaller new beach soon. As soon as my hands heal from over working them these past two days! :biggrin: 
Haven't seen many cuts, and the only cuts i've seen so far are from stuff getting sanded in. Waves are up to that cut already so it's tough to get into that area. I didn't find much when I went there last week. 
Thanks for the advice!

Look for towel lines like this. It is also a 12-14' cut. And a giant sled run. These should be easy to find. LolScreenshot_20230130_214015_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e6f4c056e7fd73055e39335de367a577.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

33 minutes ago, strick said:

What the heck is a sled run ? If you don’t mind me asking  🙂

strick

This isn't a beach, but a perfect example, just happened to think of it while standing at the top yesterday. 😀20230130_104557.thumb.jpg.40c1d218f37409d60e933d9742acb306.jpg

It's a lot steeper than it looks. If it ever snows here I might regress!

Great place to find stuff if it snows, golf courses and parks with hills are good places to hunt in the snow 😳 I think CPT Ghostlight had a good run at one when he got sick of being inside.

Look for the bloody snow where people crash. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, strick said:

What the heck is a sled run ? If you don’t mind me asking  🙂

strick

Look close up on the top edge. Dad holding the plastic sled for his daughter. She's gonna get on it and he will push her over the edge down to the people below. Happens all the time here. Sand skiing on the beach. Lol

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1