Beach Hunting: Choosing Your Beaches Wisely

Made some more observations these last few days. The gravel bed that I used to hunt on my favorite beach has pretty much gone and the coins with it. Instead something else popped up on the beach which is really compact gravelly sand further down. This area shifted from being a bad area to a loaded area with plenty of coins to be had, including the surprising find of a standing liberty! It is important to note that the area where there was compact gravelly sand also did not have a barrier of gravel where the waves meet the beach, thus more stuff was able to migrate up the wet sand I would think.
This idea was replicated at another beach where the main focus was in front of gravel beds with no gravel at the water line, and I found tons of coins. I also found a really worn merc dime, a silver ring, and possibly a silver heart of some sort. Solid day today, but man i'm tired. No gold yet, but i'm still trying!

2 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Made some more observations these last few days. The gravel bed that I used to hunt on my favorite beach has pretty much gone and the coins with it. Instead something else popped up on the beach which is really compact gravelly sand further down. This area shifted from being a bad area to a loaded area with plenty of coins to be had, including the surprising find of a standing liberty! It is important to note that the area where there was compact gravelly sand also did not have a barrier of gravel where the waves meet the beach, thus more stuff was able to migrate up the wet sand I would think.
This idea was replicated at another beach where the main focus was in front of gravel beds with no gravel at the water line, and I found tons of coins as well as a really worn merc dime, a silver ring, and possibly a silver heart of some sort. Solid day today, but man i'm tired. No gold yet, but i'm still trying!

Sounds like you have a good area and are learning alot. I love that gravelly sand in general. Also start paying attention to the colors. Over time you will be able to just look at the sand color and know if it's going to be a good day or not. A deep PI machine is my weapon of choice for this scenario. GL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Sounds like you have a good area and are learning alot. I love that gravelly sand in general. Also start paying attention to the colors. Over time you will be able to just look at the sand color and know if it's going to be a good day or not. A deep PI machine is my weapon of choice for this scenario. GL

Fluffy sand is the worst from what I experienced over the weekend. There's just nothing to be found there.

1 minute ago, Sirius said:

Fluffy sand is the worst from what I experienced over the weekend. There's just nothing to be found there.

Yeah , I give that about 15 minutes of hunting then bail. When your feet sink 4" on every step it's not good. On very rare occasions bigger surf will vomit light jewelry up high , but typically it sucks.

• Like 3

It's over my favorite beach has slowed production due to sanding in. I could tell because the exposed posts from a dock that once stood on the beach has been mostly covered up. The posts were really exposed for about 2 weeks and alot of stuff could be found due to the lack of sand. Ah well it was great while it lasted, Now I have to look for another beach to hang out at.
Found a beach that is frequented by alot of people. Followed a tip that Merrill spoke about where if you find green coins, slow your roll because you might find more. Indeed I did find more coins and found myself in a coin line; which could also translate to an area where a ton of stuff just consolidated for long periods of time. My luck wasn't great, I found a toe ring near the coin line that is just a junker, and a ton of clad. The rest of the beach produced pretty much nothing. My favorite beach did manage to produce one last silver quarter from 1964 though.

• Like 2

It seems like despite the sanding in affecting the main beach I visit, other beaches nearby aren't as affected, and still produce a decent amount. beaches that were especially eroded away now have some sand, and it's easier to detect on those beaches now. Also since not alot of sand was deposited on those beaches, they will still produce , compared to a beach that got 6-7 ft of sand. 
Found 2 silver rings and a silver dime at that beach today, and another silver ring at another beach that also wasn't as affected. Beaches tend to hold patterns to where they deposit their goodies. The first beach I went to was suggested by someone on youtube as they said they found a large amount of coins and 2 rings at a specific location after a major storm. That storm was well over a month ago, but when I checked it out; there was still stuff to be found. Further down the beach I found practically nothing/ light weight stuff like can slaw. The second beach still continues to deposit good stuff on the left side of that beach. Quarters mainly, but that confirms that more heavier stuff ends up on that side compared to the right side.  

• Like 1