The New Stinger X5 Gold Detector

it's for detecting on the beaches, I'm waiting for the aq impulse which is desired, the gpx 5000 would be a good detector but it is heavy and not waterproof, the axiom is not waterproof either. there is the deus and the manticore, I am waiting for more information on the maticore because it is more powerful on the beaches and on gold than the deus 2, I have the deus 1 for the moment

Ths Stinger probably detects well enough, but at $2499 it needs to be more than just another detector. I'll let somebody else spend their money to find out. The Deus 2 is getting very good reviews as a beach detector. I think Manticore will be very good for the beach also, but needs a little more time to prove itself. I prefer wired coils for water use and so lean to Manticore, but already have the Deus 2 so I will stick with it for now.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ths Stinger probably detects well enough, but at $2499 it needs to be more than just another detector. I'll let somebody else spend their money to find out. The Deus 2 is getting very good reviews as a beach detector. I think Manticore will be very good for the beach also, but needs a little more time to prove itself. I prefer wired coils for water use and so lean to Manticore, but already have the Deus 2 so I will stick with it for now.

hello steve, the deus 2 is a very good surface detector on our beaches, I discussed with an owner of deus 2 and the equinox 800. this person used the equinox 800 before and bought the deus 2. there's no doubt the deus 2 is more precise and goes slightly deeper than the equinox I've seen on the beaches. for the manticore, seeing the videos on the internet, it detects gold better in depth. have you by chance any news on the impulse aq. And do you think that the amber from the ocea will oxidize the circuits of the gpx 5000 or the axiom. a video showing the axiom on the beaches comparing it to the equinox 900. normally the axium must be more efficient because these u pi, but the targets detected by the axiom were also detected by the equinox 900, this This result is not normal, it all depends on the setting of the axiom. And axiom's comments on the beach are not many. can you tell me more about this subject level performance depth be the gpx 5000, the axiom and the impulse aq, thank you

For most beach detecting you will be better off with a Deus or a Manticore. A PI detector is only better in heavy magnetite, so low mineral beaches you do not see much extra depth compared to a VLF. In heavy magnetite, the PI loses less depth than a VLF. That is what people misunderstand about PI detectors. They do not go deeper exactly, they just lose less depth in bad ground compared to a PI. And no matter what, you dig less junk with a VLF. Depth is not everything unless you have unlimited time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

For most beach detecting you will be better off with a Deus or a Manticore. A PI detector is only better in heavy magnetite, so low mineral beaches you do not see much extra depth compared to a VLF. In heavy magnetite, the PI loses less depth than a VLF. That is what people misunderstand about PI detectors. They do not go deeper exactly, they just lose less depth in bad ground compared to a PI. And no matter what, you dig less junk with a VLF. Depth is not everything unless you have unlimited time.

yes I agree, but there are often iron oxides and other oxides that disturb my deus 1, that's why I'm interested in pi, moreover all people have vlf latest model especially deus 2 , so passing behind them is not interesting, with a pi I will have targets that the others did not have

7 minutes ago, JPS said:

yes I agree, but there are often iron oxides and other oxides that disturb my deus 1, that's why I'm interested in pi, moreover all people have vlf latest model especially deus 2 , so passing behind them is not interesting, with a pi I will have targets that the others did not have

the impulse aq which is a pi goes more than 10 cm in depth than a deus 2 on the beaches, it is sure and certain. is the axiom comparable to the impulse aq on the beaches? And is the gpx 5000 comparable to the impulse aq on the beaches?

9 hours ago, JPS said:

the impulse aq which is a pi goes more than 10 cm in depth than a deus 2 on the beaches, it is sure and certain. is the axiom comparable to the impulse aq on the beaches? And is the gpx 5000 comparable to the impulse aq on the beaches?

It will depend on the targets. Depth is not that different so the ground, exact target, and coil will matter a lot. The AQ is waterproof and so if you need to submerge it is an option, as is the Garrett ATX. The GPX 5000 is a proven beach detector with a vast range of settings and coil options, making it perhaps the best choice if you do not need waterproof. The Axiom is new and relatively unproven on the beach, but may in time prove to be a good option also. I would want to see coils that do not float like a cork for at least wading use before I consider it to be a beach detector.

I think a good VLF and a good PI is what a person like me needs. Which particular VLF is not very important since they are all so good. Deus 2, Manticore, Equinox 900, Legend - just pick one you like and have faith you have a top performing VLF. For PI there also are many options, with price being the biggest factor for many people. I would caution anyone on the Impulse AQ that it has and continues to have many problems that they are working out, and a final production version of the detector has been delayed for over a year now. It may be abandoned entirely. The other options are safer choices, but again, all that matters is choosing one.

There are no magical super machines better than the rest. Metal detector technology right now is like buying a PC (personal computer). The technology is mature, and they will all do what you need them to do, even the less expensive ones. Or cell phones as another example. The new ones have new features, but do they make phone calls any better than the last one? Not really. That is where we are with metal detectors now as far as depth. New models at best might offer single digit percentage improvements in depth, not worth worrying about. The key is good locations and hours of detecting.

A note on the original thread. Garrett did release the trademark on the Gold Stinger name, so it was up for grabs. And these guys grabbed it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It will depend on the targets. Depth is not that different so the ground, exact target, and coil will matter a lot. The AQ is waterproof and so if you need to submerge it is an option, as is the Garrett ATX. The GPX 5000 is a proven beach detector with a vast range of settings and coil options, making it perhaps the best choice if you do not need waterproof. The Axiom is new and relatively unproven on the beach, but may in time prove to be a good option also. I would want to see coils that do not float like a cork for at least wading use before I consider it to be a beach detector.

I think a good VLF and a good PI is what a person like me needs. Which particular VLF is not very important since they are all so good. Deus 2, Manticore, Equinox 900, Legend - just pick one you like and have faith you have a top performing VLF. For PI there also are many options, with price being the biggest factor for many people. I would caution anyone on the Impulse AQ that it has and continues to have many problems that they are working out, and a final production version of the detector has been delayed for over a year now. It may be abandoned entirely. The other options are safer choices, but again, all that matters is choosing one.

There are no magical super machines better than the rest. Metal detector technology right now is like buying a PC (personal computer). The technology is mature, and they will all do what you need them to do, even the less expensive ones. Or cell phones as another example. The new ones have new features, but do they make phone calls any better than the last one? Not really. That is where we are with metal detectors now as far as depth. New models at best might offer single digit percentage improvements in depth, not worth worrying about. The key is good locations and hours of detecting.

A note on the original thread. Garrett did release the trademark on the Gold Stinger name, so it was up for grabs. And these guys grabbed it.

THANK YOU Steve for your review. My choice of detector was made, it is the new model of the pulse aq, but apparently it may not come out. I would not buy a used one that has too many problems and no warranty. I have been considering the gpx 5000 for a long time but it is very bulky and heavy. Nokta has a project for a new pi, I hope they will release it soon, thank you again👍

• Like 1

I did (and still do) what Steve did many years ago and use a GP3500 on the beach. My coil of choice is the Coiltek 14” DD and a lightweight 6v Lithium battery. If EMI isn’t too bad then the 14” Mono goes on. Two silicone end covers keeps it very well sealed from salt and sand……it’s the deepest setup I’ve ever used and I’m confident would surpass the Fisher AQ in all of the lower beach and hard pan. Basic iron discrimination to several inches takes care of the bobby pins and fish hooks. It’s a formidable setup as the coil is drawing 0.75A.

• Like 3

Yup, good old GP 3500 in 2005, and really nothing is much if any better for depth on coin and ring type targets since then. It's been 18 years, and all we have done is see improvements from Minelab on hitting smaller gold or dispersed gold, but PI depth on larger targets like coins and rings has been relatively unchanged for a couple decades now.

People were skeptical back in 2005 when I was suggesting using high power Pi detectors for Civil War relic hunting. Now it's the norm in some locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1