The New Stinger X5 Gold Detector

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I did (and still do) what Steve did many years ago and use a GP3500 on the beach. My coil of choice is the Coiltek 14” DD and a lightweight 6v Lithium battery. If EMI isn’t too bad then the 14” Mono goes on. Two silicone end covers keeps it very well sealed from salt and sand……it’s the deepest setup I’ve ever used and I’m confident would surpass the Fisher AQ in all of the lower beach and hard pan. Basic iron discrimination to several inches takes care of the bobby pins and fish hooks. It’s a formidable setup as the coil is drawing 0.75A.

thank you tony for your intervention, you don't have a photo of your box, and why the gpx 5000 is not as powerful as the 3500. the 5000 is definitely an upgraded 3500 so must go as deep as the 3500

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, good old GP 3500 in 2005, and really nothing is much if any better for depth on coin and ring type targets since then. It's been 18 years, and all we have done is see improvements from Minelab on hitting smaller gold or dispersed gold, but PI depth on larger targets like coins and rings has been relatively unchanged for a couple decades now.

People were skeptical back in 2005 when I was suggesting using high power Pi detectors for Civil War relic hunting. Now it's the norm in some locations.

thank you steve , you don't have a link for the creation of a waterproof box for the gpx o the forum, and why the gpx 5000 is not as powerful as the 3500. the 5000 is definitely an upgraded 3500 so must go as deep as the 3500

Just do a quick search on “GP3500” and there’s plenty to read about…..I’m already a bit off topic.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Just do a quick search on “GP3500” and there’s plenty to read about…..I’m already a bit off topic.

OK

Running a GP3500 in “Deep” mode with the 14”DD and a fixed GB will punch deeper than a 5000 in a “Salt Mode”….salt modes will generally cripple depth. Additionally, I never use a US Nickel when assessing PI performance……I use 18K or higher gold rings. I would like to have seen more of the VLF detectors being swept away from targets to see what sort of falsing there is…..I’m sure there would have been some chirps and beeps which would demand the sensitivity be reduced. And finally, when testing, I like blind tests where the operator has no idea where targets are buried and none of this sweeping back and forth over targets……unrealistic testing in that regard. To me, it’s just another staged test……but better than most. Yeah, I’m a harsh critic but “testing” must match typical “hunting” to truly get a feel for detector performance. Steve is spot on when he talks about the VLF v PI in nice white coral sand being fairly comparable but detectors such as the SD/GP have an ability to really punch to the next level (even in these benign conditions) by brute force….Amperage to the coil and “power” pulse timings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JPS said:
thank you steve , you don't have a link for the creation of a waterproof box for the gpx o the forum, and why the gpx 5000 is not as powerful as the 3500. the 5000 is definitely an upgraded 3500 so must go as deep as the 3500

I did not say the GPX 5000 is not as powerful as a GP 3500. I said it really is no better on larger more solid items. It is better on small gold and at handling certain hot rocks if that’s what you need.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steves-guide-differences-between-minelab-sd-gp-gpx-models/

24 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I did not say the GPX 5000 is not as powerful as a GP 3500. I said it really is no better on larger more solid items. It is better on small gold and at handling certain hot rocks if that’s what you need.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steves-guide-differences-between-minelab-sd-gp-gpx-models/

I don't have any orifer land in my area. only the gpx 5000 is still on sale and not the 3500, so a guarantee in the event of a breakdown. so for you the 3500 and more sensitive in depth to large objects as Tony also says and I saw the same conclusion on the forum as well, yet basically it's the same detector. tank you steve

No, the 3500 is not the better detector. I’d not go back to the Gp 3500 ever if it was me. I’d get a GPX 5000. We are just trying to point out this is mature technology, with gains measured in fractions of inches over the years. The link I provided explains it in detail. People buy into the new machine hype too much. But newer is generally better, no doubt about it. Just don’t expect miracles.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Running a GP3500 in “Deep” mode with the 14”DD and a fixed GB will punch deeper than a 5000 in a “Salt Mode”….salt modes will generally cripple depth. Additionally, I never use a US Nickel when assessing PI performance……I use 18K or higher gold rings. I would like to have seen more of the VLF detectors being swept away from targets to see what sort of falsing there is…..I’m sure there would have been some chirps and beeps which would demand the sensitivity be reduced. And finally, when testing, I like blind tests where the operator has no idea where targets are buried and none of this sweeping back and forth over targets……unrealistic testing in that regard. To me, it’s just another staged test……but better than most. Yeah, I’m a harsh critic but “testing” must match typical “hunting” to truly get a feel for detector performance. Steve is spot on when he talks about the VLF v PI in nice white coral sand being fairly comparable but detectors such as the SD/GP have an ability to really punch to the next level (even in these benign conditions) by brute force….Amperage to the coil and “power” pulse timings.

thank you for all this information, only enthusiasts like you or steve allows people like me to learn more👍