The New Stinger X5 Gold Detector

8 hours ago, JPS said:

thank you for all this information, only enthusiasts like you or steve allows people like me to learn more👍

This forum has a wealth of information but make sure you satisfy yourself with your needs as far as detectors go. I’m after heavy gold (18K and onwards)…..this stuff sinks fast so you need a high power PI or let Mother Nature do the sand removal for you. I generally prefer pulse delays of 15uS as a minimum or even 20uS (coupled with longer pulse widths)…….but this is me and some people prefer much faster delays (too much salt signal for me).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony said:

This forum has a wealth of information but make sure you satisfy yourself with your needs as far as detectors go. I’m after heavy gold (18K and onwards)…..this stuff sinks fast so you need a high power PI or let Mother Nature do the sand removal for you. I generally prefer pulse delays of 15uS as a minimum or even 20uS (coupled with longer pulse widths)…….but this is me and some people prefer much faster delays (too much salt signal for me).

Hi Tony, thank you for this information, I had also read this information on this site, but the problem is that small gold objects are not detected, it's your choice. I read that with a higher delay the devices are more stable but it has the advantage of finding the biggest buried targets more easily.

thank you👍

2 hours ago, JPS said:

Hi Tony, thank you for this information, I had also read this information on this site, but the problem is that small gold objects are not detected, it's your choice. I read that with a higher delay the devices are more stable but it has the advantage of finding the biggest buried targets more easily.

thank you👍

Generally speaking, the larger and higher karat gold targets don’t need a quick delay. Delays of 15uS to 20uS in conjunction with longer pulse widths are ideally suited for these types of targets. The stability you refer to is simply the salt signal decaying away and not being “heard” by longer delays. Yes, the small low conductors are not detected as deep at these settings. I guess if you’re really keen then you could run different settings or detectors over high value beaches. I’ve also noticed that the nice diamonds are nearly always set in higher karat gold….18K and up. Sometimes “less is more”.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Generally speaking, the larger and higher karat gold targets don’t need a quick delay. Delays of 15uS to 20uS in conjunction with longer pulse widths are ideally suited for these types of targets. The stability you refer to is simply the salt signal decaying away and not being “heard” by longer delays. Yes, the small low conductors are not detected as deep at these settings. I guess if you’re really keen then you could run different settings or detectors over high value beaches. I’ve also noticed that the nice diamonds are nearly always set in higher karat gold….18K and up. Sometimes “less is more”.

I asked the person who published the comparison between vlf and pi on the beaches why the results of the pi were disappointing, he replied: "A high salt content 8 times higher than that of the ocean kills IP". I think he's talking nonsense, he can't have so much salt on his beach and the vlf also don't like too much salt which destabilizes them.

1 hour ago, JPS said:

I asked the person who published the comparison between vlf and pi on the beaches why the results of the pi were disappointing, he replied: "A high salt content 8 times higher than that of the ocean kills IP". I think he's talking nonsense, he can't have so much salt on his beach and the vlf also don't like too much salt which destabilizes them.

Plenty detect the vast salt lakes here in Western Australia….although challenging, the extreme salt can be tamed. As well as the salt there is often a thick heavily mineralised clay/mud to deal with. If there’s that much salt content where he’s testing that is 8X typical beach then why bother testing there? A VLF has no advantage over a PI in regard to any salt content. I’m always sceptical on any testing videos 🤔

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Plenty detect the vast salt lakes here in Western Australia….although challenging, the extreme salt can be tamed. As well as the salt there is often a thick heavily mineralised clay/mud to deal with. If there’s that much salt content where he’s testing that is 8X typical beach then why bother testing there? A VLF has no advantage over a PI in regard to any salt content. I’m always sceptical on any testing videos 🤔

I ' m also septical because already at home on our beaches with an average salt content on the ocean, the deus 2 some complain about the stability of the detector with a high sensitivity, as also with the other vlf

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 9:31 PM, Tony said:

salt modes will generally cripple depth

I just wanted to update this post because the salt mode on my 3500 is superior to the Normal mode. I dismissed the Salt mode because I (wrongly) assumed it would be inferior to Normal. On other detectors then the reverse may well be true so it really pays to satisfy yourself what works best for you.

I only discovered this result when doing some beach testing and discovered that my toggle switch for these timings had been accidentally bumped into the Salt setting.

I now use the Detech 18” open DD coil as my primary beach coil.