Re/ AQ Threshold Pot Burnout

8 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

You ever notice how hot the AQ gets in one area? (right below) One of the first things I did when I got one was do a temp check on the corners and middle of the case. ANd this after 10 to 15 minutes if I remember correct...Got pictures  of it some where..

85.jpg

91.jpg

98.jpg

109 (2).jpg

131.jpg

Interestiing--thanks for posting Joe.  Lot of juice flying around in there we do know that.  One would think that there would be a doide or something that couild be put in to protect any vulnerable parts of the circuit.  

That is a hot running circuit!

cjc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Both of my AQ's have a warm up period of about 15 minutes, been that way since day one.......after that 15 minutes no more adjustments needed. If my Pot goes, I guess I'll be the first to do the repair. If that is the only issue I'll be Happy.... My question then would be what pot does the TDI use for it's threshold for I never heard of them having the same issue. More than likely I'll be putting the guts in a water proof case of some type after... so it will be easier to work on.

This may sound a little crazy but I can't wait to get my hands inside of that monster..☠️

You're the master--get in there.  I'v e swapped out a lot of these Vishay pots on my Aquasearch--really a lot and did warn FT for that reason.  Not sure I'm ready to crack this case though--shoot over a picture if you do these mailing costs are eating into my retirement fund...fotunatly its an amazing machine and it brings in the occasional bit of gold to offset it's travel bills. 

cj

cjc

• Like 1

Carolina--ya your set and forget was good advice but Im not hearing everyone else talking about the AQ dropping pots.  That T/H is an excellent stabilizaton tool andtthe conditons I hunt in are fast water with high saline content.   Was hoping that this detector had had it's fun and was now ready to work and  get me some gold....

Im going to ask Alexandre if he has any suggestions. 

rgrdz clive

• Like 2

“This may sound a little crazy but I can't wait to get my hands inside of that monster..☠️

I’m that way too!  Please take lots of photos. I figure a hot wire cutter might be a good way to open it.
CJC, is $85 your shipping cost or repair cost? I’m still waiting for someone to say what an out of warranty repair will cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stateguy said:

Joe, I thought I herd something that the reason why they didn’t come up with a better waterproof AQ was because of how the machine gets warm. Don’t know if there any truth too that

Can't say I've heard that one. I do know the TDI series does heat up if you do the battery mods, from the original stock voltage. One reason the SurfMaster TDI had condensation issues when the Li-ion battery mod was done.

And that could be one reason both of mine are Ok now? Since all of my hunting is in the water, and the water keeps them cooler? 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, bklein said:

“This may sound a little crazy but I can't wait to get my hands inside of that monster..☠️

I’m that way too!  Please take lots of photos. I figure a hot wire cutter might be a good way to open it.
CJC, is $85 your shipping cost or repair cost? I’m still waiting for someone to say what an out of warranty repair will cost.

$85 CDN just to ship.  Cut the box down this time--only $79...

As good as these machines are--my two are not earning their keep because of these build flaws.

cjc

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1