Quest V80, V60 Coming Soon!!

17 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Andy Sabich is one of the testers in the U.S for the V80, just found this out yesterday so we shall see what the outcome is, also why are there no dealers listed on Quest website for the U.S for North America there are only dealers in Canada I can only imagine what shipping cost for a detector would be from Canada to the U.S

Small Company from California. Nothing to do with Canada. You will deal with them direct.

QUEST METAL DETECTORS Inc
1211 Center Court Dr.
Covina CA. 91724

(626) 559-7742

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

I wonder if he is still testing his detectors at the "Construction Site" near Atlanta? After 20+ years I would have "Fired that job Super?😇 Inside joke. Andy is cool.

Not sure where he is doing his testing all I know is he is testing, he posted it up on Facebook

here is his write up from Facebook, no video

Thoughts on the V80 . . . . . A few months of field testing
I have had the opportunity to have tested the V80 through its various stages prior to the release and wanted to share a few thoughts and impressions from the field.
First, great to see yet another multi-frequency detector available on the market to choose from. MF is not the answer to all conditions but having that on a detector definitely makes it a more versatile detector for sure. Single frequency is still needed under certain conditions such as when EMI becomes a problem or even when checking targets to determine if they are worth digging and the V80 offers that and does so with a main screen touchpad making it simple to toggle between frequencies. I found that switching to 10kHz or 15kHz virtually eliminate interference from a noisy transformer or fluorescent lighting. Having a higher frequency to select from (or part of the MF mix) makes it sensitive to small gold (or low conductive targets) and I found several items that my pinpointer struggled to find which says a lot about the sensitivity of the V80.
The menu structure takes a little to get used to but once you do, navigating through the options is quite intuitive. Three levels that appear as consecutive vertical bars makes it easy to find what you are looking for and the ones you will use when searching are accessible directly from the main screen and the touchpads on the face of the housing.
Being able to create and save 20 custom programs and name them for easy recall is a feature the competition does not offer. Will you need 20 to choose from? If you hunt the same type of sites all the time probably not but being able to create programs for different ground conditions, trash content, etc. makes it a detector that is powerful yet can be made a turn-on-and-go detector quite easily.
The shaft design is unique in that while round, it does not rotate like one of the recently introduced competitor’s detector does. It collapses easily and makes carrying it to a site effortless. The adjustable control pod positioner is a plus as there are times when other detectors are wither too short or too long for individual users – this allows you to find the perfect position for comfort in the field.
Due to the weather and water temperatures I did not get to take it diving but with a 5M depth rating, it provides waders and even shallow water hunters with a detector that will serve their needs. I did take it shallow water hunting and had no problem with leakage and the Quest headphones had great sound.
Detection depth was quite impressive especially on smaller targets. I try to mark targets and compare them to other detectors before digging them and in the group of detectors that the V80 is intended to compete with, it more than held its own in terms of detection depth and separation. I will say that the stock coil would not be my preferred coil in trashy areas but I understand that Quest will have other col available that will be better suited for these applications and weigh a tad less to book. The stock coil dragged a bit in shallow water so a smaller coil will be the trick when it comes to a number of applications. I see that they are shipping (or will ship) the V80 with two coils and the 9”x5” would be my coil of choice for the type of sites I tend to frequent.
Quest has always been receptive to feedback and as more units get out there, if there are suggestions that can improve the new V series, I am certain they will listen and provide updates. If anyone has specific questions I can answer on the V80 in terms of settings, field use or performance, feel free to get in touch with me and I will see if I can answer them.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

Not sure where he is doing his testing all I know is he is testing, he posted it up on Facebook

here is his write up from Facebook, no video

Thoughts on the V80 . . . . . A few months of field testing
I have had the opportunity to have tested the V80 through its various stages prior to the release and wanted to share a few thoughts and impressions from the field.
First, great to see yet another multi-frequency detector available on the market to choose from. MF is not the answer to all conditions but having that on a detector definitely makes it a more versatile detector for sure. Single frequency is still needed under certain conditions such as when EMI becomes a problem or even when checking targets to determine if they are worth digging and the V80 offers that and does so with a main screen touchpad making it simple to toggle between frequencies. I found that switching to 10kHz or 15kHz virtually eliminate interference from a noisy transformer or fluorescent lighting. Having a higher frequency to select from (or part of the MF mix) makes it sensitive to small gold (or low conductive targets) and I found several items that my pinpointer struggled to find which says a lot about the sensitivity of the V80.
The menu structure takes a little to get used to but once you do, navigating through the options is quite intuitive. Three levels that appear as consecutive vertical bars makes it easy to find what you are looking for and the ones you will use when searching are accessible directly from the main screen and the touchpads on the face of the housing.
Being able to create and save 20 custom programs and name them for easy recall is a feature the competition does not offer. Will you need 20 to choose from? If you hunt the same type of sites all the time probably not but being able to create programs for different ground conditions, trash content, etc. makes it a detector that is powerful yet can be made a turn-on-and-go detector quite easily.
The shaft design is unique in that while round, it does not rotate like one of the recently introduced competitor’s detector does. It collapses easily and makes carrying it to a site effortless. The adjustable control pod positioner is a plus as there are times when other detectors are wither too short or too long for individual users – this allows you to find the perfect position for comfort in the field.
Due to the weather and water temperatures I did not get to take it diving but with a 5M depth rating, it provides waders and even shallow water hunters with a detector that will serve their needs. I did take it shallow water hunting and had no problem with leakage and the Quest headphones had great sound.
Detection depth was quite impressive especially on smaller targets. I try to mark targets and compare them to other detectors before digging them and in the group of detectors that the V80 is intended to compete with, it more than held its own in terms of detection depth and separation. I will say that the stock coil would not be my preferred coil in trashy areas but I understand that Quest will have other col available that will be better suited for these applications and weigh a tad less to book. The stock coil dragged a bit in shallow water so a smaller coil will be the trick when it comes to a number of applications. I see that they are shipping (or will ship) the V80 with two coils and the 9”x5” would be my coil of choice for the type of sites I tend to frequent.
Quest has always been receptive to feedback and as more units get out there, if there are suggestions that can improve the new V series, I am certain they will listen and provide updates. If anyone has specific questions I can answer on the V80 in terms of settings, field use or performance, feel free to get in touch with me and I will see if I can answer them.

Nice.

It's odd that Andy has tested the detector for a few months, but didn't even mention the gyro in that write up.

Anyway,

I'm guessing that the ID stabilization is ID averaging. If I recall correctly, I think someone in this thread thought the same thing as well. I don't mean averaging as in "averaging the ID of two targets", but rather averaging as in, "a single complex target that gives multiple ID numbers, is then averaged to give one ID number.

If it does use a gyro for ID stabilization, then these two things come to mind:

1) There shouldn't be any need to use a moving mechanical device (a gyro) to stabilize the ID. It could be done much more easily and much more reliably with software. For example, a line of code can be written that basically says, "If three or four consecutive ID numbers are detected in 1/10th of a second, then average them and produce one ID.

2) Averaging the ID seems like "dumbing down" the ID. In other words, less information about the target.

• Thanks 1

I had some dealings with the company many years ago.  I went by their offices and had a 2300 with me at the time.  I tested one of their detectors but didn't end up with it and I've lost touch with the owner.

I'm glad to see he is still around and working on his ideas.

I had a Quest Q40 for several months back in 2019. I wasn't planning on buying one but the price was incredible. It did as well as any quality single frequency detector where I detect. I really liked it but I just didn't need it. 

I have owned Quest/Deteknix wireless audio products and one of their pinpointers for many years. Outstanding quality that works on par with the competition.

So obviously, Quest/Deteknix has not only survived at least two FTP versus Quest/Deteknix lawsuits for intellectual property infringements......... in my opinion they are producing detectors and accessories that are far more innovative and effective than anything First Texas Products has to offer except for the FTP F-Pusle/Tek-Point pinpointers. 

I am glad they have continued to grow and have become a viable option for many new detector users and now have produced a very competitive simultaneous multi frequency/selectable single frequency detector line for the more demanding, advanced detector users too.

• Like 8

Joan Allen Detectors on Twitter announcer New Quest V60 & V80. Specs on questmetaldetectors.com. Not sure if this is a release or what.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carolina said:

Joan Allen Detectors on Twitter announcer New Quest V60 & V80. Specs on questmetaldetectors.com. Not sure if this is a release or what.

They are supposed to come out sometime around March or April but the way these new detector announcements have been I would say somewhere around June,July,or August LOL

5 hours ago, Digalicious said:

It's odd that Andy has tested the detector for a few months, but didn't even mention the gyro in that write up.

Anyway,

I'm guessing that the ID stabilization is ID averaging. If I recall correctly, I think someone in this thread thought the same thing as well. I don't mean averaging as in "averaging the ID of two targets", but rather averaging as in, "a single complex target that gives multiple ID numbers, is then averaged to give one ID number.

If it does use a gyro for ID stabilization, then these two things come to mind:

1) There shouldn't be any need to use a moving mechanical device (a gyro) to stabilize the ID. It could be done much more easily and much more reliably with software. For example, a line of code can be written that basically says, "If three or four consecutive ID numbers are detected in 1/10th of a second, then average them and produce one ID.

2) Averaging the ID seems like "dumbing down" the ID. In other words, less information about the target.

Is that not what all detectors do is average a target or targets and then gives you what it thinks the TID should be for a given metal object Hell even the dirt comes in to play in the averaging of a TID, I will just wait until the V80 comes out and purchase one and see what it is all about if I can find someone that sells them in the U.S, LOL

Andy really did say much in his post up just touched on a few things, as far as that Gyro thingy hell he probably has no clue as to what exactly it does just yet either