My Brother's Old Magnetometer

Finding hidden or lost items is my favorite hobby during free-time. I use bounty hunter for detecting. Last week, when I was cleaning the basement, I found a mining instrument, an overhauser magnetometer. My brother might have left it there. He is an Archaeologist. When I read about it, I understood that, it can be used for detecting gold mineral. Does anyone here heard of finding treasures of stuffs with a magnetometer?  

4 hours ago, Cody said:

Does anyone here heard of finding treasures of stuffs with a magnetometer?  

They are often used to detect things like Meteorites and other objects containing Iron.  They work best at finding Ferrous objects.  Gold, silver etc is non ferrous so would not be good for chasing most objects thought to be treasure. 

They are the weapon of choice for Meteorite hunters.  

Bring that thing to Glorieta NM and look for some huge buried meteories.

Dave.

18 hours ago, Cody said:

Does anyone here heard of finding treasures of stuffs with a magnetometer?  

I don't want to give the impression though that Meteorites are not treasure as they are.  Some are possibly more valuable than gold! 

I don't know if you ever watched the TV show "The Meteorite Men".  Very popular about a decade ago or less.  If you haven't I think you need to locate some of their videos.  Pretty interesting for sure.  I had communicated a dozen years ago with a Gentlemen who had one rigged up to a bicycle and he would ride across old dried up lake beds in search for Meteorites.  I don't recall the particulars of how he used it I just recall him using a bike.   

• Like 1

Finding meteorites sound fun. I think I have to see that show. A you said meteorites are treasures too. Will I get it named after me if I found one? Anyway, thanks for that tip.

43 minutes ago, Cody said:

Will I get it named after me if I found one?

Only if you find a really rare one but I'm sure you know that already.  But they are out there too. Millions of pieces of space debris has hit the earth. 

If you want to research Meteorite hunting further check out the Nuggetshooter forum.  They have a page dedicated to Meteorites that goes back many years.  You can also use your bounty hunter to detect the metalic meteorite's. Some even attach a magnet to the end of a stick to find them.