Will Minelab Coils Work On Garrett Axiom?

cobill

Since the Axiom uses a 4-pin coil connector and the GPX 5000 coils used a 5-pin connector (pin 5 was not used), is there a possibility that GPX 5000 coils can be used by changing to a 4-pin connector? Some of us still have GPX coils in our closets.😁

Bill

On 12/6/2022 at 5:27 AM, cobill said:

Steve, since the Axiom uses a 4-pin coil connector and the GPX 5000 coils used a 5-pin connector (pin 5 was not used), is there a possibility that GPX 5000 coils can be used by changing to a 4-pin connector? Some of us still have GPX coils in our closets.😁

Bill

I don’t know. Anything is possible I suppose. Maybe somebody who has some Minelab coils and gets an Axiom will give it a try and report some day. Seems a fairly poor bet that they would be perfectly matched electronically. I’m normally game for that sort of thing, but I’m not even interested in if ATX or Infinium coils can be made to work. I’ll use the coils that are made for it. Six to choose from and lots more coming, that’s good enough for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2022 at 12:27 AM, cobill said:

Steve, since the Axiom uses a 4-pin coil connector and the GPX 5000 coils used a 5-pin connector (pin 5 was not used), is there a possibility that GPX 5000 coils can be used by changing to a 4-pin connector? Some of us still have GPX coils in our closets.😁

Bill

All that is needed is a confirm (X ray of the coil?) of the winding layout and then obtain the inductance and resistance values of the actual coils already being made by Garrett. If there are no 'special sauce' windings and the required inductance is within 280-360uH, then yes....a GPX coil will work, once the coax is re-soldered to the correct pin-outs on a 4 pin plug. The resistance value will determine the overall efficiency of the coil but won't stop the coil from functioning.

2 hours ago, Aureous said:

All that is needed is a confirm (X ray of the coil?) of the winding layout and then the inductance and resistance of the actual coils already being made by Garrett. If there are no 'special sauce' windings and the required inductance is within 280-360uH, then yes....a GPX coil will work, once the coax is re-soldered to the correct pin-outs on a 4 pin plug. The resistance value will determine the overall efficiency of the coil but won't stop the coil from functioning.

I just compared the coil ears on the NF Evo and the Axiom shaft for fitting, the shaft is too wide?🤔

Bill

4 minutes ago, cobill said:

I just compared the coil ears on the NF Evo and the Axiom shaft for fitting, the shaft is too wide?🤔

Bill

Just keep one lower shaft specifically for the GPX-Ax conversion and  trim the clevis to size with a file. Hopefully, the lower shaft diameter is the same as the Axiom?

• The title was changed to Will Minelab Coils Work On Garrett Axiom?