Trout Fishing And Metal Detecting

Here in rural Pennsylvania if you trout fish you fish one of two ways.  You either wait for the trout stocking truck to arrive and fish or you hike into the wilderness to find the native trout that no one else fishes for.  Everyone follows the stocking truck, very few hike into the wilderness.  I have discovered that metal detecting is very similar.  If you dirt hunt you either hunt in public parks or public lands or hunt on permissions.  Public lands require the newest and best equipment.  Permissions require skill and knowledge of the equipment that you own. On the beach you either wait for the stocking truck or summer tourist to arrive or you hunt on beaches that are sort of like permission hunts.  On tourist beach you are competing with anyone who walks on the beach with a detector.  On the South Carolina islands beaches of Daufuski, kaiwah, Tybee, Fripp Island, Isle of Palms...etc, you have to rent a property on the beach to be able to metal detect.  This makes it a permission.  You can not just drive to the beach and detect, you have to pay to play, but this payment usually gives you exclusive detecting of the island since no one else does this.  No one can just drive to Daufuski Island and hunt for the day and drive home.  It doesn't work.  You have to rent if you want to hunt Daufuski.  VRBO is your permission on exclusive islands.  I find it amazing that the youtube hunters on Atlantic public beaches have no content to post currently.  The stocking truck of summer has run it's course.  But I can go to a permission beach and find gold any week of the winter.  Permission beaches never run out of finds.  Metal detecting requires many skills.  Research, equipment and knowledge can give you a huge advantage.  Happy hunting and I hope this post helps you to become a better hunter. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_Stalker said:

Here in rural Pennsylvania if you trout fish you fish one of two ways.  You either wait for the trout stocking truck to arrive and fish or you hike into the wilderness to find the native trout that no one else fishes for.  Everyone follows the stocking truck, very few hike into the wilderness.  I have discovered that metal detecting is very similar.  If you dirt hunt you either hunt in public parks or public lands or hunt on permissions.  Public lands require the newest and best equipment.  Permissions require skill and knowledge of the equipment that you own. On the beach you either wait for the stocking truck or summer tourist to arrive or you hunt on beaches that are sort of like permission hunts.  On tourist beach you are competing with anyone who walks on the beach with a detector.  On the South Carolina islands beaches of Daufuski, kaiwah, Tybee, Fripp Island, Isle of Palms...etc, you have to rent a property on the beach to be able to metal detect.  This makes it a permission.  You can not just drive to the beach and detect, you have to pay to play, but this payment usually gives you exclusive detecting of the island since no one else does this.  No one can just drive to Daufuski Island and hunt for the day and drive home.  It doesn't work.  You have to rent if you want to hunt Daufuski.  VRBO is your permission on exclusive islands.  I find it amazing that the youtube hunters on Atlantic public beaches have no content to post currently.  The stocking truck of summer has run it's course.  But I can go to a permission beach and find gold any week of the winter.  Permission beaches never run out of finds.  Metal detecting requires many skills.  Research, equipment and knowledge can give you a huge advantage.  Happy hunting and I hope this post helps you to become a better hunter. 

Nice write up. 👍 The only one I have experience with is Tybee Island, I camped there in an RV park every year for the last 15 in April, and when I took up metal detecting a couple of years ago, the first thing I did was talk to the local police department. They said the entire beach, all 12 miles of it, is open season. 😀 I had a blast there! Got lots of great stuff. North and South Beach are the most popular, but finds are possible anywhere.

• Like 3

Very good analogy.

Now that's a tip well worth looking into.      While fishing on my boat I've noticed party boats tied together for weekend fun.    Most of these areas can only be reached by boat.    Have had quite a few nice hunts wadeing  on those places.    Decades of Treasure, pull tabs, rusty caps, shot gun brass and you name it.   Had a couple nice honey holes till, Alas, I was noticed by other hunters.    And I mean they were good ones too.    Left Nothing, I mean cleaned the place up Spic & Span.     Like The Stalkers tip, you gotta find these places out.

• Like 2