1st Run With The Xceed 12x7 Mono

Aureous

Has anyone compared the depth performance on different size targets between the NF 12x7 and the Stock 11 inch?

7 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

Has anyone compared the depth performance on different size targets between the NF 12x7 and the Stock 11 inch?

The stock 11" coil is poorly shielded and suffers from ground noise saturation. The NF 12x7 is on par with it for depth except it is way quieter and more sensitive to small targets. A much better choice as a general purpose coil. The Coiltek 9" round also is a match for the stock 11.

• Like 1

I love the 12 x 7 Exceed, it punches deep, however it is equivalent to a 9" round. I would caution anyone from omitting the 11" stock coil from their hunting majority of the time. Though the 12x7 punches deep, I definitely feel it cannot match the 11" on depth on some nuggets. You can't compare apples to oranges and you realistically can't compare a 12x7 (9" round) to an 11" round. I pulled a deep 1.55 gram nugget around 14"-15" deep with the 11" stock coil. The day before the 12x7 couldn't hear it. It was barely audible with the 11 " round. I am certain the 11" will go deeper on some nuggets. But on the other hand I think the 12x7 will punch deeper on smaller gold. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I love the 12 x 7 Exceed, it punches deep, however it is equivalent to a 9" round. I would caution anyone from omitting the 11" stock coil from their hunting majority of the time. Though the 12x7 punches deep, I definitely feel it cannot match the 11" on depth on some nuggets. You can't compare apples to oranges and you realistically can't compare a 12x7 (9" round) to an 11" round. I pulled a deep 1.55 gram nugget around 14"-15" deep with the 11" stock coil. The day before the 12x7 couldn't hear it. It was barely audible with the 11 " round. I am certain the 11" will go deeper on some nuggets. But on the other hand I think the 12x7 will punch deeper on smaller gold. 

Ive cross-tested over 30 different targets between the 11", 12x7 and 10x5 mono's. Everything Ive seen with the 11 could be heard with the 12x7. True, the 11 was better on a few targets but heard non-the-less. In Aussie conditions, the mineralization noise is a killer and the narrow cross-section of the 12x7 assists a lot I suspect. Plus the different wire winding is inherently quieter too. I am anticipating that  the new 15x10 will be a better option when detecting in open terrain. I havent used my stock 11 (apart from testing)since I got the 12x7 and 10x5 coils. Now gathering dust in the cupboard. 

Controled tests mean nothing unless you have two 6000's, one with the stock coil and one with the 12x7 and run each one over a real target (Gold) undug, undisturbed to see how they both fare. Anything less than this and the results won't be accurate. Some people might be ok with leaving the 12x7, 5x10, 9x14 coils on all the time, but I can't afford to make that mistake again after having done so with the 9x14. The 9x14 was missing small gold! This went on for a month before I realized it couldn't compete with the 11"stock coil on small gold. I hunt for gold for a living with a detector and will continue to take each coil over same ground to make sure I don't miss anything. 

• Like 5

What I would love is a 13" round coil, built like the 12x7". I'd be happy to sacrifice some performance on fly shist, in order to gain a little depth on the slightly bigger bird poo, and hopefully one or two worthy of being called a nugget haha. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Controled tests mean nothing unless you have two 6000's, one with the stock coil and one with the 12x7 and run each one over a real target (Gold) undug, undisturbed to see how they both fare. Anything less than this and the results won't be accurate.

I couldn't agree more. Its the ONLY way to cross test detectors and coils for complete accuracy. I (mostly) didnt have 2 detectors but had to mark the signals and change coils... very annoying and time-consuming. But its the only way to have complete trust in your detector and coil combo's. I also detect for income and have done so for 41 years. 

• Like 2

I am looking forward to trying out the 16 X 10" Spoked when available to purchase. It will be the largest area sized non DD coil offered besides the stock 17 X 13" and it will be a lot lighter to swing also. I'm hoping they use the same wiring configuration as the 12 x 7" though for best all around performance.

I have added a comparison chart to show the comparisons below. 

3165-1f43acca24d3f1a28aef2fab626eb1e5.jpg

A34E27BC-6749-4924-B35C-85F077D58E78.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, phrunt said:

Well that answers my questions, now I must order one again.  Thanks.

-- update, delayed my order again for now until I know more about the coils performance over the stock in regards to small gold sensitivity.

Why do you focus so much on small gold sensitivity? I can't help but notice from your posts that always seems to be your angle. Small gold. If that is all you focus on then that is most likely all you are going to find. You leave little chance to bigger deeper gold.

D4G

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Why do you focus so much on small gold sensitivity? I can't help but notice from your posts that always seems to be your angle. Small gold. If that is all you focus on then that is most likely all you are going to find. You leave little chance to bigger deeper gold.

Yes, I do tend to focus on small gold, mainly because I'd rather go home with something rather than nothing, I have a hard enough time finding the small bits let alone a bigger one 🙂

I do tend to use the 15" CC the most out of my coils on my GPZ so that with any luck would find me a deeper one if it was there, it's been my most successful coil on that detector and I prefer to use the GPZ if I'm hoping for something bigger, the GPX I've decided is my smaller gold and can't be bothered rigging up machine.

• Like 3