1st Run With The Xceed 12x7 Mono

Aureous

Took the 12x7 out for its first swing today. The only issue I encountered was not wanting to take the Coiltek 10x5 off the 6. It is an awesome bit of gear that sniffs out a lot of small stuff that the standard coil won’t hear. My mate and I decided that if either one of us were to get a faint signal, the target would be marked and I would swap over to the 12x7 to compare signal strengths etc. We were detecting in fairly benign ground and generally bounced between normal and difficult in auto plus. Both 10x5’s were running really well. After the first target was detected, I swapped coils for the comparison. We tried the full range of settings on both machines and we agreed that each coil nailed the signal exceptionally well. If I were to put money on it, I would have given it to the 10x5 purely due to the short , sharp signal response. My mate eventually picked up a really faint signal on the side of an old mullock heap. When I ran the 12x7 coil over the target, the signal  came through but was totally different to what the 10x5 was saying. The short, sharp but quiet signal from the Coiltek coil was replaced by a broad, faint chirp from the Nuggetfinder.  We discussed this for a minute or so and agreed that the target was going to be relatively deep. A small bit of gold popped out from a depth of around 5 inches. Again, there was nothing in it but I would say that the Coiltek’s crisp signal was slightly better. The Nuggetfinder came out on top later in the day on a reasonably deep target. I heard a faint signal and stupidly dug down a couple of inches to confirm it before calling my mate over to compare signals. When he passed his coil over the target approximating original ground level, nothing could be heard with the 10x5.  When we debriefed at the end of the day we agreed that the coils both performed as we guessed they would. The 10x5 has a slight advantage on the small, shallow targets and the 12x7 punches a bit deeper. It’s far to early to read too much into what we found but we were both happy with how the Xceed performed. The 12x7 was exceptionally quiet and ran really well in auto plus with threshold on. The detector was in normal all day and settings were only changed when comparing coils. The Xceed appears to be well made floats effortlessly over the ground. I think it is going to be a good general purpose coil for hunting in a variety of terrains. Although the standard 11” coil performs quite well, I think it’s skid plate is going to last quite a few years.

cheers

Les

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Lesgold said:

The 10x5 has a slight advantage on the small, shallow targets and the 12x7 punches a bit deeper.

I concur, although I saw a more noticeable benefit than 'slight'. The 10x5, being much smaller and bundle-wound would logically 'ping' the small gold and be very quiet. The larger 12x7 would also logically hit the more solid or larger targets at a greater depth. 

• Like 1

The 10x5" certainly has no Y Axis troubles, nor does the 14x9".   put a video on this forum with the 14x9" being swung around like l lasso with no troubles at all.

It's disappointing to hear the 12x7" has it, being someone that hunts in rocky hillsides that's not an ideal attribute.

The smaller Sadie size will be bundle wound so hopefully it exceeds the small gold performance of the 10x5" with the stability it has, so I'm learning towards the Sadie and 16x10" for me.

The 10x5" is good enough to not need the 12x7 by the sounds of it", if I wanted more depth I'd go the 11" not the small jump from 10x5 to 12x7".

• Like 1

I agree phrunt. I had a deposit on the Xceed for months and got sick of waiting so the Goldhawke got a run. You wouldn’t need both coils but I believe that the Nuggetfinder will be a better all round hunting coil with the 10x5 being used for vacuuming the scraps, especially in tight areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's disappointing to hear the 12x7" has it, being someone that hunts in rocky hillsides that's not an ideal attribute.

The Y axis noise is there, but a lot less than the stock 11 until you get to approx 40 degrees. But my main reason for loving the 12x7 is that it makes a perfect replacement for the stock 11.....its more sensitive and faaaar quieter. Its narrow width becomes more useful than initially realized too. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lesgold said:

I agree phrunt. I had a deposit on the Xceed for months and got sick of waiting so the Goldhawke got a run. You wouldn’t need both coils but I believe that the Nuggetfinder will be a better all round hunting coil with the 10x5 being used for vacuuming the scraps, especially in tight areas.

I echo everything you just said lol. In the end I just got patient and waited for the 12x7 to finally arrive. Im happy I did. But now I KNOW I need another coil :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The good thing is it's another option and by all accounts a good one too.   I've decided I'll give it a miss and wait for the smaller coil to come along, at least its different enough to the coils I've already got, that 16x10" really intrigues me too, obviously won't be as sensitive as these smaller coils and that was evident with the stock Minelab 17x13" coil, that thing is gutless on small gold compared to the smaller coils but that was obviously not its intended purpose.

As long as they can keep the weight down on the 16x10", the 14" DD makes the 6000 feel much heavier than the GPZ 7000 with a smaller coil on it which I've usually got on.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:21 AM, afreakofnature said:

Nice reports guys!  Throw the 11” in there too next time for QA/QC 😊

The stock 11 is a 'known beast' and as such the benefits of the 'proper' new coils are obvious to the end user. The first thing that became obvious was the noise difference. The 12x7 just purred like a kitten compared to the stock 11. It handled mineralized soil far better too. I didn't feel the need to drop down from Auto 1 hardly at all. I'm now wondering if the EMI handling is better as well.....I reckon the NF shielding is far superior to anything that the sub-contractors for Plexus in Malaysia are capable of. I only used the frequency scan once in 3 days....and that was only to see if there was any improvement on the near-perfect threshold it already had. It didn't. Once the noise difference was accounted for, any further cross testing with the stock 11 against the newer coils was mute.

If I had to place a 0-100 'score' on the overall 'noise' of the 12x7 versus the stock 11 it would be:

NF Xceed 12x7:   90/100.    Still a little bumpy threshold but barely affects signal clarity and ground noise was greatly diminished.  Zero EMI, no scans necessary.  Y Axis noise still present but very stable up until C. 40 degrees.

ML Stock 11:   60/100.  Threshold is affected to the point where tiny signals or soft signals are obscured and ground noise is noticeable as is EMI (multiple scans per day to reduce). And my stock 11 is a 'good one' lol. Y Axis noise is present at anything greater than 15 degrees.

• Like 3