The Videos We All Love And Hate Are Out Nf 12x7 Exceed Vs Ml Gpx11

Good vids on the coils, but a great demonstration of the power (or lack thereof) of the 6000 itself though. Struggling at 6-7" on a 5 grammer with both coils. 🙂 6000 is just not a deep machine, it's the modern day equivalent of the Fine Gold Effect (for those who understand what I mean), and it's leaving a ton of gold behind by those who are swinging it as a primary machine now. Awesome exploration machine, but absolutely won't replace a GPZ for anyone who detects areas where gold is often, if not always, beyond 8-10" deep though. Many of us have mentioned this already, but this video shows it in living color. 

Even at the edge of detection though, I believe the vid author is almost certainly confusing EMI and ground noise in a few parts of the vids for the target (especially at 200mm and towards the end, as his patience thins) so I'm not even fully convinced it's as deep as he thinks in some cases. But not bad videos really for some rough ideas between the coils. 

I agree with his conclusions too, the NF seems a small bit quieter, and the stock coil seems a bit deeper on non-flyspeck stuff. Exactly what one would expect based on the coil geometries alone though, nothing surprising. If the coils were expensive I'd personally be giving it a pass, but since they are reasonably priced I might give one a try for the geometry and slightly improved EMI, but I'm not in a rush as I still find the 11" to be a great balance due to the slightly increased depth on a machine hungry for any fractional depth gains it can achieve.

• Like 4

I agree Jason, the 6000 is just not a deep machine compared to the GPZ and could not replace the GPZ for that role but it's great for swinging all day long like you say and is very good on small gold.    It's surprising how close your pick can go to it.  I was carrying my pinpointer in my pants pocket the other day with the 6000, I couldn't dream of doing that with the 7000 without setting it off every step.

I had a hard time believing it struggled on a 5 grammer at 7", I've found a 1.2 gram nugget at deeper than that with my Equinox, just shows the difference in soil types between this guys location and mine.

The 11" seemed to do better to me in his videos even on his 0.07 of a gram nugget, it's really hard to beat that 11" for small gold sensitivity though and out of the coils on the market so far I think it's still the most sensitive, yes its noisier with its windings the way they are but it sure is sensitive for an 11" coil.

I would have liked to see him test it on much smaller nuggets than 0.07, although it was the smallest he had in his collection, It would be nice to be an Aussie thinking 0.07 is tiny, I'm super happy if I find one that big 🙂 a 0.03 of a gram is a good test size for the 6000, that weight flake sorts of wheat from the chaff when you're seeing if one coil is more sensitive than another.   

I would like to see the Coiltek 10x5" vs the NF 12x7" on small gold sensitivity, I have a feeling the Coiltek may win it, based on size alone although you can't always think that way as the 11" beats the Coiltek with it's more sensitive windings.

I was about to order the 12x7" again today but I'll put that on hold now until more information is out there.  Still hanging for the Sadie though, the size alone will be beneficial for me on that one regardless of if it is more sensitive than the 11"

• Like 2

You guys math seems a little off. 
11” coil on the 5 gram at manual half sensitivity got hits that I would have dug at 225 mm or 9”. At manual full sensitivity the 11” coil got hits on the 5 grammar at 250 mm or 10”. 

Jenko uses a pvc pipe buried at a 45 degree angle so those nuggets if they are relatively flat are detected partially on edge. 

Dirt is different and that dirt looked pretty hot. 

I’ve detected wild 5 grammers with an Equinox 800 6” coil at 6” depth in moderate mineralization. My GPX 5000 could hit a test 5 grammer in the same dirt on normal with the 11” commander mono at 12” easily. 

I’ve used the same 5 gram nugget for testing at a highly mineralized site and got similar 8 to 9” depths like the ones in the video with the GPX 5000 11” mono.  Nox 800 with 6” coil hit the 5 grammer test nugget at 4”. 

I am sticking with the Coiltek 10 x 5 and the stock 11” mono for now. 

I have no desire to swing a GPZ for very long or pay a fortune for the hottest Zed coils. 

The GPX 6000 already costs more than one of my cars…….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff, I often get confused by the inches to cm's and grams to grains conversions 🙂  It would make my life easier if the USA joined the majority of the World with metric!

I didn't pay much attention to remembering the bigger gold depths but was surprised when it was said to be 7".

I think sticking with the Coiltek 10x5" and 11" is a reasonable move.  I am likely to do the same for now.

I gave up the Z, 6 months after the 6k came out.  I’m not going back.  I am doing what Jason says, using it as a prospecting machine.  Then in a few years (or less), will buy the 8k and go back to get all the deep nugs I left behind prospecting withe the 6k.  Wash rinse repeat 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Good vids on the coils, but a great demonstration of the power (or lack thereof) of the 6000 itself though. Struggling at 6-7" on a 5 grammer with both coils. 🙂 6000 is just not a deep machine, it's the modern day equivalent of the Fine Gold Effect (for those who understand what I mean), and it's leaving a ton of gold behind by those who are swinging it as a primary machine now. Awesome exploration machine, but absolutely won't replace a GPZ for anyone who detects areas where gold is often, if not always, beyond 8-10" deep though. Many of us have mentioned this already, but this video shows it in living color. 

Even at the edge of detection though, I believe the vid author is almost certainly confusing EMI and ground noise in a few parts of the vids for the target (especially at 200mm and towards the end, as his patience thins) so I'm not even fully convinced it's as deep as he thinks in some cases. But not bad videos really for some rough ideas between the coils. 

I agree with his conclusions too, the NF seems a small bit quieter, and the stock coil seems a bit deeper on non-flyspeck stuff. Exactly what one would expect based on the coil geometries alone though, nothing surprising. If the coils were expensive I'd personally be giving it a pass, but since they are reasonably priced I might give one a try for the geometry and slightly improved EMI, but I'm not in a rush as I still find the 11" to be a great balance due to the slightly increased depth on a machine hungry for any fractional depth gains it can achieve.

Somebody forgot to tell your synopsis to my 6000.  i found at least a half dozen 1 gram plus nuggets over 15", multiples over a foot and a 13 gram well over 2 feet.  And deadly on on itty bittys under 10" where the 7000 takes a crap. And I only got it last July.  But then again my hearing is pretty sharp stil 🤣No knocking the 7000 at all because I have never swung one.  But unless your talking 20+ inches I have no use to swing a club. 

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You guys math seems a little off. 
11” coil on the 5 gram at manual half sensitivity got hits that I would have dug at 225 mm or 9”. At manual full sensitivity the 11” coil got hits on the 5 grammar at 250 mm or 10”. 

My math isn't off, check that video out again.

He was at max sensitivity, and by his own admission couldn't hit it at 250mm. He hit it at 200mm (7.9 inches) (in his estimation), but it was extremely faint at best, and almost indecipherable from the EMI/ground noise (mostly EMI). I don't think he got a solid signal myself though if you pay close attention to the EMI as the coil is sitting still, and when the coil is moving outside the range of the target, he gets similar signals at similar intervals - EMI. There isn't one repeatable location at 250mm where he gets a signal if you really look closely at his swing. I'd argue he doesn't have much at 200mm either if you watch it 2 or 3 times enlarged and pay close attention. He is getting some EMI at similar, locations but different enough that I don't think it's a target. But he also loses patience at this final part of the video and simply stops swinging for very long, and just says "yeah, it's getting it" while also saying there is a lot of EMI, so it's hard to say specifically IMO.

What he doesn't say is if he's in Difficult or not, unless I missed it. But yeah, you can tell the ground is hot - the coil is falsing when it touches (occasionally), which happens with most PI's sometimes with hot ground.

My experience with the 6000, of which I probably have about 1500 hours on myself in 4 different states and 30+ different areas, is not much different than his in medium/hot ground. I can't even guess how many easy nuggets I've found later with the GPZ that were only 8-10" deep, yet completely silent on the 6000. I saw it enough that I stopped using the 6000 completely if I suspected the ground was 10"+ deep because of that.

The ground type makes a big difference, as with everything. So I'm sure people can point to deeper finds. But when it comes to 1/2+ gram stuff, the 6000 suffers with depth. People can take my word or not, it only helps me if people think it's deeper than it is. I got a ton of backlash for a lot of years saying Fine Gold was a shallow timing too (prior to this forum existing), because all the AZ dealers were swearing by it for years and people thought anything a dealer said must be right. But I know what I saw then, and I know what I see now. :cool: 

I'll link the vid at max sensitivity here if anyone wants to skip to that part (note the EMI and ground noise) and lack of repeatability, I disagree with him getting that signal here at 200mm, but I guess it's a judgement call, and even if he did get it at 200mm, that's only 7.9 inches:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, jasong said:

Awesome exploration machine, but absolutely won't replace a GPZ for anyone who detects areas where gold is often, if not always, beyond 8-10" deep though. Many of us have mentioned this already, but this video shows it in living color. 

This is a mystery or a new discovery that the 7000 outperforms the 6000 on larger stuff at depth? It's what was said since day one, I said it, others said it, Minelab said it. The original star chart everyone makes fun of....

minelab-gpx-6000-relative-performance-chart.jpg

And the latest...

minelab tools.jpg

If you use aftermarket coils to full effect the 7000 closes the gap on even the gold the 6000 is best on. I told Simon repeatedly that on his ground and fully outfitted with a bunch of aftermarket coils for his 7000 that he had no need for a 6000 per se. Aftermarket coils also extend the 7000 on the top end, further widening the gap on larger gold.

That said I still would rather use the 6000, but I can use less than top end machines and still find enough gold to stay amused. :smile: I don't even own a Minelab right now except for my Nox, but even at the new super low price I'd pass on the 7000 and get a 6000 with that new NF 15" coil if I was in the market. That combo really impressed me while I was in Oz, and if I planned on hitting the Nevada desert much I'd possibly spring for one. But I don't think I will be heading east at all this year.

• Like 6

I contacted my dealer yesterday about this coil, he now has the 12x7" in stock and I could have one tomorrow if I want one, so very tempting as I waited for many months for it but gave up when I got the 10x5".  Based on these videos though the need to have it doesn't really seem to be there, mostly seeing the 0.07 of a gram being better on the 11".   I expected it would be based on the 11 vs 10x5" but I was hoping it wouldn't be.   I'll keep an eye on it, you certainly can't make a decision on one or two videos, I hope it turns out an awesome coil, more options the better.

Nenad said this "12x7 Xceed is using a sort of flattened bundle wind. So basically a rectangular cross section. Performance wise, I think that gives the best of both worlds"  I wonder if that means that is it has a performance increase over the bundle wound options from Coiltek, not quite as sensitive as the stock semi spiral but runs more stable, or if it is the same windings as the 11" that NF has been able to improve stability.  I guess we won't know until we see an X-ray.

I've heard nothing but good about the 16x10" and for someone using it as a patch hunter like you Jason it might be the business.  I haven't heard much good about the 14x9", I don't personally like it much, and all I see is people selling them so I was a bit surprised to hear people saying the 16x10" is good but perhaps its different, it sounds like NF did do a type of partial flat winding, maybe in the 16x10 its even wider.

I really can't wait for the 8.5 x 6", for me that one is going to be fantastic, just the size of it will make all the difference.  It should get into places my 8" on the GPZ can't even go and have good edge sensitivity.

I'm not fussed by the GPX not being as deep as the GPZ, It's extremely unlikely Minelab would release a cheaper detector that performed overall better than their most expensive model, that's not how they roll so expecting it to be better is a bit unrealistic.   Steve certainly did tell me this, many times, I'm now glad I own the GPX though, quite happy with it.  My coils are working as they should, my shaft no longer twists and I can use my speaker, happy days.

It certainly has its strong points and even though in my case the GPZ has the performance advantage I still like using the GPX now it's had its audio problem sorted out, its an effortless light detector to just go have some fun with knowing I won't miss too much by using it, if I was in a gold patch I'd certainly be going back with the GPZ to do the heavy lifting though, but I always do that anyway, go back with another detector or two including a VLF to ensure I don't leave too much behind.  In some places the hot rocks just scare the 6000 away so it's good to have options.

Hopefully more people do their reviews on the 12x7" and more videos pop up so I can decide if I want it before the dealer sells out, it's sitting there now in stock with no back orders on them, I could grab it.

• Like 3