The Videos We All Love And Hate Are Out Nf 12x7 Exceed Vs Ml Gpx11

11 hours ago, jasong said:

My math isn't off, check that video out again.

He was at max sensitivity, and by his own admission couldn't hit it at 250mm. He hit it at 200mm (7.9 inches) (in his estimation), but it was extremely faint at best, and almost indecipherable from the EMI/ground noise (mostly EMI). I don't think he got a solid signal myself though if you pay close attention to the EMI as the coil is sitting still, and when the coil is moving outside the range of the target, he gets similar signals at similar intervals - EMI. There isn't one repeatable location at 250mm where he gets a signal if you really look closely at his swing. I'd argue he doesn't have much at 200mm either if you watch it 2 or 3 times enlarged and pay close attention. He is getting some EMI at similar, locations but different enough that I don't think it's a target. But he also loses patience at this final part of the video and simply stops swinging for very long, and just says "yeah, it's getting it" while also saying there is a lot of EMI, so it's hard to say specifically IMO.

What he doesn't say is if he's in Difficult or not, unless I missed it. But yeah, you can tell the ground is hot - the coil is falsing when it touches (occasionally), which happens with most PI's sometimes with hot ground.

My experience with the 6000, of which I probably have about 1500 hours on myself in 4 different states and 30+ different areas, is not much different than his in medium/hot ground. I can't even guess how many easy nuggets I've found later with the GPZ that were only 8-10" deep, yet completely silent on the 6000. I saw it enough that I stopped using the 6000 completely if I suspected the ground was 10"+ deep because of that.

The ground type makes a big difference, as with everything. So I'm sure people can point to deeper finds. But when it comes to 1/2+ gram stuff, the 6000 suffers with depth. People can take my word or not, it only helps me if people think it's deeper than it is. I got a ton of backlash for a lot of years saying Fine Gold was a shallow timing too (prior to this forum existing), because all the AZ dealers were swearing by it for years and people thought anything a dealer said must be right. But I know what I saw then, and I know what I see now. :cool: 

I'll link the vid at max sensitivity here if anyone wants to skip to that part (note the EMI and ground noise) and lack of repeatability, I disagree with him getting that signal here at 200mm, but I guess it's a judgement call, and even if he did get it at 200mm, that's only 7.9 inches:

The last thing I want to do is get into an argument about a 1/2".  

I also don't want to get into an argument about which is better.....GPZ 7000 or GPX 6000.

I know which one suits me better at this point.

I watched the video to see if I would have any interest in the 12X7" coil vs the 11".

That was my frame of reference....not whether a detector that wasn't in the video is better than one that was. 

• Like 3

is he running the 6 in silent mode?
seems like it. would be much better with a threshold.

im easily distracted, in the top video something is moving in the background. just to the left of him, 20 feet behind him.
i thought it was grass blowing then at 3:15 in the video it moved way to the left then back.
i watched it a few times and im still not sure what i am looking at.
is it the camera glitching?

30 minutes ago, Bishop said:

I'm easily distracted, in the top video something is moving in the background. just to the left of him, 20 feet behind him.
i thought it was grass blowing then at 3:15 in the video it moved way to the left then back.
i watched it a few times and im still not sure what i am looking at.
is it the camera glitching?

I saw it too, it kept distracting me when watching the video, it comes and goes at various points throughout the video, perhaps it's the ghost of a drop bear.  There is certainly something going on in the background.

• Oh my! 1

I don’t know where this idea comes from that the 6000 is simply not a deep machine… 1.2 grammer, Georgetown QLD last year in a heavily mineralised area, with the standard GPX11 coil @ 10 inches on 3/4 manual sensitivity. Nearly the entirety of the coil was in the hole on edge while I was pintpointing. While it may not have the depth edge of the 7000, I still found this very acceptable for a nugget that size and depth and the area I was working in. 

• Like 9

No longer have a 6 but dug 105-110 nuggs with it before we parted ways and biggest was a 4.2 grammer @ 13".... faint but definitely repeatable. Used my Apex pick head to measure which is now worn down to 9.5" from 10".  I thought that was pretty respectable?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This is a mystery or a new discovery that the 7000 outperforms the 6000 on larger stuff at depth? It's what was said since day one, I said it, others said it, Minelab said it. The original star chart everyone makes fun of....

Yes, we all know the the GPZ is deeper, but that isn't the point I was trying to make, I'm trying to communicate something new which is that the 6000 isn't as deep as a lot of people think it should be in many cases, and it's leaving an appreciable amount of gold behind that I think many people are assuming it is hearing, or assuming the gold just isn't there. IE - missing targets within expected range of the 6000. Ignoring other machines entirely and just looking at the 6000 like a modern PI, standing by itself, this is my observation, irrespective of the GPZ or any other machine. 

What I'm saying is that right now what's happening in the US with the 6000 is very much like what was happening with Fine Gold on the 5000 insomuch as a some people are missing a lot more gold than they might be assuming.  Not just relative to the GPZ, but it's been silent on stuff my 4500 w/11" saw fine too. And I mean like 1 grammers at 6", 1/4 oz'ers at 11", this type of stuff that many (myself included) just automatically assume is sounding off, or that it simply isn't there. Not with everything, but its happened enough to me that I've personally found it concerning in terms of what I've missed in places I just ran the 6000 and called it good.

Again though, it's stuff that I'd expect any PI to hit, and it's enough abundance that it's no longer just oddities to me, but concerning. But it does slam on some bigger ones deeper too, but it's the ones it missed that I never really realized until I went back with other machines and compared signals that got me concerned, because of how common it was.

I was going to type up a page of anecdotal field experience and numbers that led me to draw this conclusion, but there is no point really since people aren't wanting to hear it, and I was just trying to share and hopefully help others out, clearly I've done the opposite though so I should have just stayed silent - a lesson I'm learning often lately. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jason, 

I follow & read all your DP posts, learning alot each time. I would love to read your anecdotal field experiences on the 6000.

Bill

• Like 1

Not sure if the 6k/7k comparison makes much sense. Both are different detectors and designed for different applications. The video should not reveal anything new to anyone. The 6k was never designed for outright depth. Instead, shallow to medium depth with fast gold is it's main focus. It can punch deeper, however very much dependant on ground conditions and gold type, and with more mixed results. The 7k is consistantly better at depth, also due to its superb ground processing. All of this is shown on the ML star chart. Not much to argue here.

GC

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jasong said:

I was going to type up a page of anecdotal field experience and numbers that led me to draw this conclusion, but there is no point really since people aren't wanting to hear it, and I was just trying to share and hopefully help others out, clearly I've done the opposite though so I should have just stayed silent - a lesson I'm learning often lately. 

Hope you'll keep your posts coming.  I swim in the shallow end of the pool (sdc,gm1000) and most what you post about doesn't concern me much (6000's, 7000's, 5000's, coils, etc....BUT I do read and always seem to take some of what you say as experienced info that may help me in some of my situations, then toss out what doesn't pertain to my situations.  I always gain a little something from your posts and sure most here feel the same.  Keep posting......

• Like 5

14 hours ago, jasong said:

Yes, we all know the the GPZ is deeper, but that isn't the point I was trying to make, I'm trying to communicate something new which is that the 6000 isn't as deep as a lot of people think it should be in many cases, and it's leaving an appreciable amount of gold behind that I think many people are assuming it is hearing, or assuming the gold just isn't there. IE - missing targets within expected range of the 6000. Ignoring other machines entirely and just looking at the 6000 like a modern PI, standing by itself, this is my observation, irrespective of the GPZ or any other machine. 

What I'm saying is that right now what's happening in the US with the 6000 is very much like what was happening with Fine Gold on the 5000 insomuch as a some people are missing a lot more gold than they might be assuming.  Not just relative to the GPZ, but it's been silent on stuff my 4500 w/11" saw fine too. And I mean like 1 grammers at 6", 1/4 oz'ers at 11", this type of stuff that many (myself included) just automatically assume is sounding off, or that it simply isn't there. Not with everything, but its happened enough to me that I've personally found it concerning in terms of what I've missed in places I just ran the 6000 and called it good.

Again though, it's stuff that I'd expect any PI to hit, and it's enough abundance that it's no longer just oddities to me, but concerning. But it does slam on some bigger ones deeper too, but it's the ones it missed that I never really realized until I went back with other machines and compared signals that got me concerned, because of how common it was.

I like to read everything you post Jason and learn from it.  Although I don’t write like you, I did post two videos that I knew people would complain about lol because that’s what this forum always does about comparison stuff.  🤣🤣. In the end we all should be learning.

• Like 1