Manticore For Prospecting

phrunt

This is what I don't get, Mark Laurie (Minelab engineer) states specifically the 50% more power is giving more depth on small gold targets.

I started the video where you need to watch from.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

This is what I don't get, Mark Laurie (Minelab engineer) states specifically the 50% more power is giving more depth on small gold targets.

May simply be differing definitions of "small".  I think Mr. Lawrie mentions some small jewelry type targets?  Those aren't "small" compared to a tiny gold nugget?

I don't know.  Rightly or wrongly, I give some credence to what bona fide engineers that worked on a project say.  So I'm inclined to give the benefit of doubt and think that tiny gold nuggets were not what he was referring to.  But, it's all in interpretation and contexts and agendas and so on and so on.

- Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UT Dave said:

I think Mr. Lawrie mentions some small jewelry type targets?  Those aren't "small" compared to a tiny gold nugget?

I believe you got it right.  Don't remember his exact words but small bronze bits and small chains is what i think he said.  This was in Germany and good conditions.

He said small gold jewellery and chains and things like that get quite a bit more depth, I linked right to it in that video posted above, it starts a few seconds before he talks about it. I don't see why that wouldn't translate into nuggets of a similar size to an ear ring for example.   It's just disappointing their top of the line model in that sort of Multi-IQ range is less effective on gold than an Equinox 600, especially when it's touted as more sensitive and deeper than the Equinox.

The Manticore has a gold prospecting mode, the Equinox 600 does not but I'd take my chances with a 600 on tiny gold over a Manticore I think, at least with what I've seen out of it so far and the 800 and that likely means the 700 and 900 excel over it too, I haven't used one so I don't know, but being they're just improved build quality Noxes there is no reason they'd not equal the older model.

Tried the Manticore on a couple of nuggies on the front lawn today .   I fired up the Nox 800 first using gold 1 and the Coiltec 10x5 .  Town EMI would not let me run the Nox at any higher gain than 17 , and that was noisy .  Used goldfield general on the Manticore sens 17 , and of course the M 11 coil . I could have run the Manticore a couple notches higher but wanted to keep things as equal as possible . The bigger nugget was detectable by both machines at near 4 inches .  The Nox had a clear advantage of about one inch on the tiny nuggie while the Manticore could barely see it at one inch .  Tried all the other modes and interestingly found that Beach deep was almost as good as the goldfield mode . A smaller coil on the Manti' and we might just be able to use some of that claimed extra power in the field as it was much better at handling the EMI .

Targets used .

P1010589.JPG

P1010590.JPG

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hunterjunk said:

Tried the Manticore on a couple of nuggies on the front lawn today .   I fired up the Nox 800 first using gold 1 and the Coiltec 10x5 .  Town EMI would not let me run the Nox at any higher gain than 17 , and that was noisy .  Used goldfield general on the Manticore sens 17 , and of course the M 11 coil . I could have run the Manticore a couple notches higher but wanted to keep things as equal as possible . The bigger nugget was detectable by both machines at near 4 inches .  The Nox had a clear advantage of about one inch on the tiny nuggie while the Manticore could barely see it at one inch .  Tried all the other modes and interestingly found that Beach deep was almost as good as the goldfield mode . A smaller coil on the Manti' and we might just be able to use some of that claimed extra power in the field as it was much better at handling the EMI .

Targets used .

P1010589.JPG

P1010590.JPG

Manticore should be at 24 sensitivity and equinox at 17 to be equal. Manticore goes to 35 and equinox goes to 25 max’s.

1 hour ago, rled2005 said:

Manticore should be at 24 sensitivity and equinox at 17 to be equal. Manticore goes to 35 and equinox goes to 25 max’s.

Quite aware of the sens ranges of both machines . That was not the point . The aim was to see how the Manticore performed on small gold . As I said , I could have run the Manti at a higher sens as it was handling the town EMI better than the Nox . The Nox was unusable at higher than 17 with the Manti starting to get noisy at 19-20 . I also doubt that Nox 17 and Manti 24 are truly relative . A simple division of 35 divided by 25 does not allow for any extra power to the coil and says they have just spread out the sensitivity scale . From my small test I think the Manti would have out performed the Nox if I cranked it up . Any way real world detecting in the bush will be the real test and that won't be happening until a smaller coil becomes available .

• Like 1

Yes, I think on bigger sizes of gold like your test bits the Manticore will do well and may even exceed the Equinox as they get bigger, it's still very early days so time will tell, I was more concerned about the absolutely tiny gold sensitivity where I think so far the Nox is going to be the winner.

The Nox is right up there with the higher frequency dedicated gold machines on the tiniest flakes of gold, it looks like the Manticore may not quite be that good, but still will be good as a general gold prospecting detector, just leaving behind the tiniest bits most people don't care about.  If a smaller coil comes out for it  from Coiltek to compete with the 6" the Equinox has it may all change.  Hopefully they're going to make a 5 or 6" round coil for it to make up for Minelab not doing so.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hunterjunk said:

Quite aware of the sens ranges of both machines . That was not the point . The aim was to see how the Manticore performed on small gold . As I said , I could have run the Manti at a higher sens as it was handling the town EMI better than the Nox . The Nox was unusable at higher than 17 with the Manti starting to get noisy at 19-20 . I also doubt that Nox 17 and Manti 24 are truly relative . A simple division of 35 divided by 25 does not allow for any extra power to the coil and says they have just spread out the sensitivity scale . From my small test I think the Manti would have out performed the Nox if I cranked it up . Any way real world detecting in the bush will be the real test and that won't be happening until a smaller coil becomes available .

My way of looking at it was 17/24 = 68% and .68 x 35 = 23.8(24)

47 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes, I think on bigger sizes of gold like your test bits the Manticore will do well and may even exceed the Equinox as they get bigger, it's still very early days so time will tell, I was more concerned about the absolutely tiny gold sensitivity where I think so far the Nox is going to be the winner.

The Nox is right up there with the higher frequency dedicated gold machines on the tiniest flakes of gold, it looks like the Manticore may not quite be that good, but still will be good as a general gold prospecting detector, just leaving behind the tiniest bits most people don't care about.  If a smaller coil comes out for it  from Coiltek to compete with the 6" the Equinox has it may all change.  Hopefully they're going to make a 5 or 6" round coil for it to make up for Minelab not doing so.

I agree. Like gold panning, that small gold takes a lot to add up to anything. If I can’t get pickers at least, I don’t want to waste my time. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1