Ground Mineralization/

parkgt

People often mention that their soil is either "Hot" or "Mild".  What GB numbers does one consider 'Hot" and conversely what numbers indicate 'Mild" soil?

41 minutes ago, parkgt said:

People often mention that their soil is either "Hot" or "Mild".  What GB numbers does one consider 'Hot" and conversely what numbers indicate 'Mild" soil?

I'll go first, I'm getting about a 79 in my fields, and about 92 at one local beach that has imported sand, probably from Culpeper 🙄 I could probably leave the D2 at 87, but I like how quiet it gets after a grab GB. Local dirt shows no bars at all on the scale, that beach had as many as all of them. If I hit a clay spot in a field, I adjust and fire for effect.

Can't stress more the need to ground balance. Took me a while to get that.

• Like 1

The Ground Balance(phase) number tells of the soil type, not really how mineralized it is. But yes, a good GB will always help the detector run smoother & give more accurate TIDs especially if minerals are present.

• Like 2

My Colorado Rocky Mountain High dirt (sorry John Denver 😏) is usually 85-87. On a few sites it has hit 89. We consider our minerization pretty high (no pun intended 🤣). @Jeff McClendon can tell you much more about the geology of our region, but I just call it hot dirt. 😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parkgt said:

I just look at the mineralization meter at the bottom left of the Deus 2 remote display. 3 to 5 bars is moderate mineralization. Anything above that is going to cause some issues unless I do a good ground balance.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JCR said:

The Ground Balance(phase) number tells of the soil type, not really how mineralized it is. But yes, a good GB will always help the detector run smoother & give more accurate TIDs especially if minerals are present.

Page 21 of the manual calls the upper window on the right the "Ground Mineralization Index"  How is that not an indication of how mineralized the soil is?    It doesn't say anything about telling the "soil type."

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I just look at the mineralization meter at the bottom left of the Deus 2 remote display. 3 to 5 bars is moderate mineralization. Anything above that is going to cause some issues unless I do a good ground balance.

So at 3 to 5 on the what GB numbers do you get?

Depends on the site. From 85 to 92 mostly. 

• Like 3

Talking about mineralization, strenght is the most important aspect. Look at this picture:

B50EC527-9734-49A5-908D-F1F8735C6BF9.jpeg.89053f09ccc043a0da82f7c90badc040.jpeg

I took this photo years ago with D1 and you can see a “low” phase, 64, but a high strenght, the bar on the right.

I took another picture in another field where phase is 100% ferrous (V.D.I) but strenght is very low(1.1%). That’s a mild soil. 

C4C0A49D-D70D-4212-B647-885DE512615B.jpeg.0310c84667869226f3c2a12d1e4536a2.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, parkgt said:

Page 21 of the manual calls the upper window on the right the "Ground Mineralization Index"  How is that not an indication of how mineralized the soil is?    It doesn't say anything about telling the "soil type."

There's some good discussion here on GB Phase Number vs Mineralization.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1