Youtubers That Damage Silver Coins...

Here is how I do mine. I hate it when I scratch a coin.... no excuse for that, but poor pinpointing and digging technique.  I generally don't scratch the dirt off a silver unless it's a Roosevelt or Washington. I try and wait until I get home. The reason is I have found quite a few 1916 Mercury Dimes. If I rub the dirt on them, then I take the chance of one day seeing a "D" mint mark on a coin that may have passed grading. I haven't found that "D" yet, but who knows. Here are two examples of coins I dug and lightly washed the dirt off of them. Sent them into PCGS when they had a grading special if you joined. All the other silver and of course all of the coppers were rejected. This was just before they started slabbing environmental damage or cleaned on them. I was pleasantly surprised with the grades, higher than I expected. So, for most people it's up to them, but for me I rather wait and see if I have something with nice details, even if it's a common coin. I buy those do it yourself slabs for those coins.

20230201_114921.jpg

• Like 5

Far as I'm concerned feel free. It can happen to all of us. What irks me , other then Taco Bell, is how they dig in dry grass yards in the summer. They also try to be "Players" This guy is the real Mac daddy of detecting? I loved to show the Ladies my "Deep seeker" Garrett that is.

me.jpg

• Haha 2

I never rub or clean my silver coins after digging. What's the rush? Why not just wait and do a careful cleaning when you get home?

A friend of mine brought me back a Coinpad container when he went to England. I carry it in my pouch.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/coinpad-Large-Coins-Storage-Portability/dp/B01KXDXJME

I rarely watch detecting videos.

• Like 3

Since learning a little bit on this forum I take a bottle of distilled water with me and spray the dirt off the coins when they come out of the ground. That way if dirt is on the coin and I put it i a pouch it won't scratch the coin and cause more damage to it.

However in the past I would wipe as much dirt off it just to see what I found.

That is why I am a newbie and others on this forum are better to learn from.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Just last week I uncovered what turned out to be a rare Whistler painting at a yard sale.  Got it for $5; Unknowingly I tossed it in the back seat.  On the way home I stopped at the hardware store and got a can of acetone.  Put that in the back seat too.  When I got home not only had it tipped over onto the painting but the damn cap was loose and the acetone had started disolving the paint!

Oh, well, it's my painting.  I can do whatever I want with it and who are you to question??

Thank God it wasn't the Mona Lisa!

• Haha 3

That's cool having it graded and in a case.

• Like 1

I'm just a pirate.

When I find a silver coin it just goes into the back pocket of my jeans and I'll wash it off under the facet when I get home.  Then I'll coon-finger it for the rest of the day, take it to work for show and tell and then toss it into the silver drawer with the others and occasionally sit down with the drawer and coon-finger them all again, remembering where I found them, or trying too,  and noticing they are getting a little blacker than last time I pulled them out.  

All the others just go into a tub for cleaning and cashing in on some rainy day.

HH
Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He is a good dude but he has a long way to go. I love when he hunt's with the Sea Hag.

• Like 1