Head Phones For Legend (for Those That Do Not Like Having Their Ears Covered)

DSMITH

As the title says this is a heads up for those that detect with headphones but hate having their ears covered, (that's ME), LOL

I have been testing several different sets of earbuds and Bone Conduction Headphones, I love the Bone Conduction headphones but both earbuds and the bone conduction phones do not work properly when detecting with the threshold activated in the Legend every pair of Bone Conduction phones and every pair of earbuds I have tried just would not work correctly with the threshold active in the Legend, (and there is a reason they did not work correctly), but when using the supplied wireless headphones that comes in the Legend pro pack the threshold would work flawlessly, The reason being is the supplied headphones for the Legend are Aptx LL Low Latency headphone the LL is the key to the headphones working correctly.

Most all earbuds and bone conduction headphones are Low Latency but they are not  Aptx LL Low latency, earbuds and bone conduction phones are just standard Aptx 5.0,5.1,5.2,and the latest is 5.3 these are low latency but not LL Low Latency

I have tried many pairs of earbuds at least 12 different pairs, and two pairs of Bone conduction headphones which I do like the two bone conduction headphones the best out of all I tried but, I recently tried a different type of Neck band speaker and I am quite impressed by them so I figured I would share my findings

Just received my Avantree Taurus Neck Band speaker and I will say I love these things

They are actually APTX Low Latency LL so when you connect them to the Legend you will see the two little LLs by the headphone icon in the Legend screen, just like the wireless headphones that came with the Legend, had no issues with them pairing with the Legend, I hate wearing headphones that cover my ears

other earbuds and the bone conduction phones the two little LL is not present by the headphone Icon when connected so they are not true Low Latency LL connections, the Avantree are true Aptx LL Low Latency and work just like the factory headphones that comes with the Legend

My main complaint with earbuds and even the Bone Conduction phones which I have been using never would work correctly when running the Legend with a threshold but the Avantree Taurus works great when running with the threshold activated on the Legend
I have been on a search for a pair of phones that were actually Aptx Low Latency LL, and these Avantree Taurus are exactly as Avantree states.
They are a little different but well worth the try,in my opinion, and yes people will hear what your detector is doing,and saying

here is a link to the Avantree Taurus

https://avantree.com/torus-nb05-bluetooth-wearable-speaker

• Like 3

Aukey B80 earbuds work well with my Nox 800, GPX 6000 and Legend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Aukey B80 earbuds work well with my Nox 800, GPX 6000 and Legend. 

do the ones you mentioned work with the threshold on the Legend does it have the two LL next to the Headphone icon when connected to the Bluetooth on the Legend

I tried several earbuds but none of them worked correctly with the threshold and having my ears plugged is no different from detecting with the supplied headphones I wanted something that I could keep my ears open and be aware of my surrounding's

there has been two reports of Bear's being spotted where I detect and with my wife going out with me I have to hear what is going on around me to keep her safe with her Dementia she does not always have the best judgement, and I do not want her to mistake a Bear for a dog

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ksrick said:

Been using these and have worked very well with the Legend. Seem to be very much like the Aukey B80

HomeSpot Neckband Wireless Earbuds aptX Low Latency Bluetooth Headphones Bluetooth 5.1

Amazon $20.00

If they are not Aptx LL Low Latency I can almost guarantee you they will not work with the threshold like I said in my post every pair of earbuds I have tried are low latency but they are not Aptx LL Low Latency and trust me there is a difference between the 5.1 and Aptx LL Low Latency, if you do not detect with a threshold you would never know because they have all worked as long as I did not use the threshold 

27 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

If they are not Aptx LL Low Latency I can almost guarantee you they will not work with the threshold like I said in my post every pair of earbuds I have tried are low latency but they are not Aptx LL Low Latency and trust me there is a difference between the 5.1 and Aptx LL Low Latency, if you do not detect with a threshold you would never know because they have all worked as long as I did not use the threshold 

Thought that was spelled out Aptx LL Low Latency

27 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

1 minute ago, ksrick said:

Thought that was spelled out Aptx LL Low Latency

What

1 minute ago, ksrick said:

20 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Most all earbuds and bone conduction headphones are Low Latency but they are not  Aptx LL Low latency, earbuds and bone conduction phones are just standard Aptx 5.0,5.1,5.2,and the latest is 5.3 these are low latency but not LL Low Latency

Hey great original post here but just wanted to clear up some of the terminology regarding bluetooth because it does confuse just about everyone. 

If don't you want to wade through all the Bluetooth background and jargon, you can just skip down to the TL;DR Bottom Line paragraph at the end of the post.

Need to recognize the difference between the Bluetooth spec revision (i.e., 4.x, 5.x, etc.) and the codecs used because they are two different things.  The Bluetooth spec revision determines what codecs and bluetooth control features (track selection, fast forward, etc.) can be supported but does not guarantee what the equipment manufacturer chooses to support.  Bluetooth supports a number of different codecs (SBC, AAC, APTX, APTX-HD, APTX-LL, APTX Adaptive, LDAC, LC3).  Each of these codecs behave differently and have different advantages and disadvantages regarding noise immunity, audio fidelity, latency, maximum transmission distances, etc.  Some of these codecs (e.g., SBC) are basic and universal and provided for all BT variants.  Others (such as APTX) are proprietary but compliant with version 4.x and 5.x BT hardware and software but the equipment provider has to pay a licensing fee to implement the proprietary codec (that's why you have to specifically look at the hardware specs to see if the APTX codec is supported).  And others such as LC3 are only compatible with the latest variant of BT (BT 5.3).  Also, as you can see, there are multiple variants of APTX but only APTX-LL and APTX Adaptive have the minimal latencies that work well for metal detecting.  Legend and the Nox 600/800, and GPX 6000 are compatible with headphones that support only the basic (but non-low-latency) SBC codec but only support APTX-LL for low latency.  Bottom line, to emphasize what DSMITH was saying, if you want low latency and want the threshold feature to work properly with your wireless phones, then the phones need to specifically say they support APTX-LL.  It's not good enough to just say low latency, because there are codecs that have less latency than SBC but are still not as good as APTX-LL for minimal latency.  So just because you got BT headphones that say they are BT 5.3 compliant (the latest BT spec), if they don't also support APTX-LL then they will not support the low latency when used with your Legend, Nox, etc.

Just received my Avantree Taurus Neck Band speaker and I will say I love these things

So do I.  They're great and I have not been able to find anything else that does everything these do (loudspeaker with stereo, high fidelity sound space, retractable earbuds that can be used in lieu of the loudspeakers, and also utilizing the APTX LL codec.

They are actually APTX Low Latency LL so when you connect them to the Legend you will see the two little LLs by the headphone icon in the Legend screen, just like the wireless headphones that came with the Legend, had no issues with them pairing with the Legend, I hate wearing headphones that cover my ears

other earbuds and the bone conduction phones the two little LL is not present by the headphone Icon when connected so they are not true Low Latency LL connections, the Avantree are true Aptx LL Low Latency and work just like the factory headphones that comes with the Legend

Note that the bad news is that APTX-LL is now an obsolete codec and is being phased out by Qualcomm which licenses the codec.  What this practically means is that the number of headphones and earbuds out there that support the APTX-LL will steadily decline in the coming years.  Qualcomm has moved on to APTX Adaptive, but that is not supported by the Legend and Nox 600/800, and GPX 6000 detectors.  BT 5.3 now supports the BT Low Energy (BT LE) LC3 codec as a more universal low latency codec and it has latencies that are even better than APTX-LL.  It appears that the new NOX 700/900 and Manticore support BT LE, but whether they utilize the LC3 codec is unclear as there are no third party headsets out there yet that support LC3 to test with the Manticore/Nox 700/900.

Do a search on DP Forums for threads that discuss APTX-LL compatible hardware for the Nox 600/800 and GPX 6000 and that hardware if it still exists, will also work with the Legend in "LL" mode.

Here is one such thread:

TL;DR Bottom Line:  If you want a 3rd party set of wireless blutooth headphones, earbuds, or speakers that are 100% compatible with your Legend (or Nox 600/800 or Vanquish) and that have minimal delay, make sure they explictly support the APTX-LL codec.  If they just say "low latency" in the description that does not guarantee they will work in APTX-LL low latency mode with these detectors.  It has to specifically say it supports APTX-LL in the specs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Hey great original post here but just wanted to clear up some of the terminology regarding bluetooth because does confuse just about everyone.

Need to recognize the difference between the Bluetooth spec revision (i.e., 4.x, 5.x, etc.) and the codecs used because they are two different things.  The Bluetooth spec revision determines what codecs and bluetooth control features (track selection, fast forward, etc.) can be supported but does not guarantee what the equipment manufacturer chooses to support.  Bluetooth supports a number of different codecs (SBC, AAC, APTX, APTX-HD, APTX-LL, APTX Adaptive, LDAC, LC3).  Each of these codecs behave differently and have different advantages and disadvantages regarding noise immunity, audio fidelity, latency, maximum transmission distances, etc.  Some of these codecs (e.g., SBC) are basic and universal and provided for all BT variants.  Others (such as APTX) are proprietary but compliant with version 4.x and 5.x BT hardware and software but the equipment provider has to pay a licensing fee to implement the proprietary codec (that's why you have to specifically look at the hardware specs to see if the APTX codec is supported).  And others such as LC3 are only compatible with the latest variant of BT (BT 5.3).  Also, as you can see, there are multiple variants of APTX but only APTX-LL and APTX Adaptive have the minimal latencies that work well for metal detecting.  Legend and the Nox 600/800, and GPX 6000 are compatible with headphones that support only the basic (but non-low-latency) SBC codec but only support APTX-LL for low latency.  Bottom line, to emphasize what DSMITH was saying, if you want low latency and want the threshold feature to work properly with your wireless phones, then the phones need to specifically say they support APTX-LL.  It's not good enough to just say low latency, because there are codecs that have less latency than SBC but are still not as good as APTX-LL for minimal latency.  So just because you got BT headphones that say they are BT 5.3 compliant (the latest BT spec), if they don't also support APTX-LL then they will not support the low latency when used with your Legend, Nox, etc.

So do I.  They're great and I have not been able to find anything else that does everything these do (loudspeaker with stereo, high fidelity sound space, retractable earbuds that can be used in lieu of the loudspeakers, and also utilizing the APTX LL codec.

Note that the bad news is that APTX-LL is now an obsolete codec and is being phased out by Qualcomm which licenses the codec.  What this practically means is that the number of headphones and earbuds out there that support the APTX-LL will steadily decline in the coming years.  Qualcomm has moved on to APTX Adaptive, but that is not supported by the Legend and Nox 600/800, and GPX 6000 detectors.  BT 5.3 now supports the BT Low Energy (BT LE) LC3 codec as a more universal low latency codec and it has latencies that are even better than APTX-LL.  It appears that the new NOX 700/900 and Manticore support BT LE, but whether they utilize the LC3 codec is unclear as there are no third party headsets out there yet that support LC3 to test with the Manticore/Nox 700/900.

Do a search on DP Forums for threads that discuss APTX-LL compatible hardware for the Nox 600/800 and GPX 6000 and that hardware if it still exists, will also work with the Legend in "LL" mode.

Here is one such thread:

Chase

Brother Thank you people were not understanding what I was trying to get across, just because something says Low Latency does not mean it will work properly with say the Legend

Again thank you Chase Goldman

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Chase

Brother Thank you people were not understanding what I was trying to get across, just because something says Low Latency does not mean it will work properly with say the Legend

Again thank you Chase Goldman

NP - glad you got the thread going so we could point Legend folks in the right direction on APTX-LL compatible 3rd party gear.  This info had been embedded in the Minelab forum sections because until Nokta intoduced Legend. ML was the only major detector manufacturer to utilize BT APTX-LL for wireless audio.

• Like 1