Snake Gaiters

Found this on an Aus. forum......Cut the base off an old pair of gumboots if you're short of funds, easily acquired at most OP Shops if sizes are available. Slip on the gumboots with the base cut off then put on your preferred footwear and slide the gumboots down over the top ....... Has anyone ever tried this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Since gumboots are rubber boots, can't a snake go through them?

I have no idea if a snake can bite through rubber or not.

But I am in the market for snake gaiters to go out west in the desert near rattle snakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a point to consider, Valens Legacy.                      Australian  Coastal Taipans have the longest fangs of all Australian snakes- up to 13 mm, or half an inch long! They are also the longest venomous snake in Australia. They strike extremely quickly, and can inflict multiple bites and inject large amounts of venom – up to 60 mg.                      I personally have top class bushwalking Gaiters and have been struck by a Eastern brown snake but it only hit my Bushwalking boots and left the venom on them.              Brown Snakes have relatively short fangs compared to some other non-Australian species such as cobras and vipers. Although they will bite repeatedly if provoked, they inject only a small amount of venom — about 4 mg (less than one-thousandth of an ounce but is very deadly).

• Like 1

I have a pair I bought years ago for a South Texas Quail hunt. Cabela's sells items like that.

• Like 3

A great alternative g-j by the time you take into account socks and trousers. I think the reason Australian snakes are so venomous is that they have a relatively poor way of delivering their venom i.e, via grooves down the side of their fangs rather than a hollow fang. This is just from memory I didn't fact check.

• Like 1

Early Wednesday morning there was another rough-scaled snake in my bedroom, this is the second one.. The book says it's a venomous and aggressive night hunter, and it's also got long fangs.. Sadly, it broke it's neck tripping over the doormat on its way out.. I put a picture on Facebook and copped a lot of flack for killing it.. I don't mind snakes in the bush but in my bedroom is another story.. I don't want the things in my house, I'm still trying to work out how they get in.. Until I do, I'll go to bed wearing my new gumboot snake gaiters.. 

1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Oh my! 1

11 hours ago, Cascade Steven said:

I am curious what would be recommended as the very best snake gaiters for western US work?

These are 100% snake proof, they do get a little warm on a sunny day, but you won't have to worry about snakes.

They are on EBay for a small fortune I'm sure.

https://i.etsystatic.com/23600291/r/il/bf9c8a/2373263412/il_794xN.2373263412_5u6d.jpg

• Haha 5

People that keep snakes in the house are not right.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Early Wednesday morning there was another rough-scaled snake in my bedroom, this is the second one.. The book says it's a venomous and aggressive night hunter, and it's also got long fangs.. Sadly, it broke it's neck tripping over the doormat on its way out.. I put a picture on Facebook and copped a lot of flack for killing it.. I don't mind snakes in the bush but in my bedroom is another story.. I don't want the things in my house, I'm still trying to work out how they get in.. Until I do, I'll go to bed wearing my new gumboot snake gaiters.. 

1.JPG

The snakes are probably following their food source. If you've found more than one, there's probably a small hole where mice get in and the snakes are tracking them. Find that hole and plug it. Put down mouse poision and that should also take care of the snakes. Hopefully that wasn't a breeding pair. 😱

• Like 4