We all know if and when we buy anything it’s a loss to us because the dealer took a profit. That automatic lowers the value of the item we just bought.

The problem for me starts when the price is lowered by the company on the detector I just bought . 
 I just trying to combat this problem of taking of a large loss to a small one. Right now I have a detector with extra two small coils was 1200.00 but if I was to sale I could take a 50 % loss . Now what I’m thinking is if I start buying a lower end detector that offering as much as the high end one. One of the ones I’m talking about is about 600.00 . Even if I take a hit like the high end detector my loss is lots less .

I don’t plan on taking a loss to buy another of less price but I will put my thinking cap on before making my next buy .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Fortunately, all my detectors have more than paid for themselves over the years, be it coinshooting or gold detecting so it's a non issue?  ALL my hobbies have cost me money over the long haul except detecting where I've come out ahead financially.

• Like 6

Oneguy  

I myself in the past bought the next detector from the finds of the first . That’s in reference to coins and jewelry but I can’t say that in relation to nugget hunting. I could correct that problem if I could move Texas nearer to gold country.

Now I’d have to say I buy something just for the pleasure of saying I own one than more for the need.

New detectors that’s out and some that soon will be showing a lot of interest more than just a few.

If I can get more for less money then I ask myself “Then why not give it a try “

Chuck 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Oneguy  

That’s in reference to coins and jewelry but I can’t say that in relation to nugget hunting. I could correct that problem if I could move Texas nearer to gold country.

Chuck 

Yeah.... having access to the gold fields definitely pays off quicker than coin shooting but coin shooting can pay off too if a guy is persitant?

• Like 2

Chuck,

That has pretty much been why my "buy and try" have been used machines several years out from their release dates, with a few exceptions here and there where I knew I'd most likely need the warranty of a new detector, and the itch wouldn't let me wait.

But I get where you are coming from.   My first Xterra 70 purchase was a new one and less than a month after I bought it and a extra coil, they came out with a two coil package for less money that included the coil I just bought.   Man I was mad about that.   Xterra's are a money pit anyway and that really sunk home the lesson.   

If I recall right, a lot of people got upset over the Xterra release...X 30 and X50 and then out of the blue the X70.....ticked off the X50 buyers who thought they were buying the top Xterra and now couldn't get the normal Minelab premium on their resale.

I never buy new Minelabs anymore and luckily never been interested enough to get into the multi-IQ offerings until the Manticore came out.   And I'll wait several more years before I scratch that itch.   

But anyway...I feel for you.   Best thing to do is identify why you are buying what you are buying before you buy it.   "buy and try" or "own it".  

Good luck.

Mike

• Like 1

When a company like Nokta prices a mid to high end (performances wise) detector at a mid to low end price, we the consumer don't take a big hit during resale down the road. On the other hand when a manufacturer can drop prices like Minelab just did for the month of February.......consumers that want to sell a similar model used look like idiots for even thinking about trying to sell. They have to sell at half price of what? Minelab's sale amount? Brick and mortar dealers trying to sell used units and dealers seeing their new detector profit margin cut by sales like that............

For buyers it is fantastic. Slightly used Equinox 800s on eBay for $500.........

Anyway, to support Oneguy's comments, people like me that depend on inland coin and jewelry hunting and can only do nugget prospecting and saltwater beach hunting occasionally really can support their hobby with finds. These numbers are just to give an example of what a normal person can do that has the time, physical health and persistence. Hopefully others have found lots more treasures than I have. Since the Equinox was released my modern clad finds have totaled over $3,000 and jewelry finds are over $4000. Those are cashed in amounts for clad and scrap jewelry. I am not lucky, I work at it regularly. The fun and enjoyment I get from metal detecting and from meeting great people in this hobby both in person and online is way beyond those dollar amounts.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Since the Equinox was released my modern clad finds have totaled over $3,000 and jewelry finds are over $4000. Those are cashed in amounts for clad and scrap jewelry. I am not lucky, I work at it regularly. 

That's pretty darned good hunting right there!  Key words "I work at it regularly".  75 more days approximately and I'll be back on some gold, this has been a LONG winter.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oneguy said:

That's pretty darned good hunting right there!  Key words "I work at it regularly".  75 more days approximately and I'll be back on some gold, this has been a LONG winter.....

Thanks, but I'm not quoting those numbers for any reason except to back up your statement.

I am fortunate to detect in a large metropolitan area with lots of people that lose stuff regularly.

Like Chuck, I have bought and sold a lot of detectors, especially since the release of Multi IQ detectors. Most I bought used so I didn't take a big hit and I don't mind selling one for what looks like a bit of a loss. In my book, I was just renting it for a few months.

My reward comes from just getting out there…  there’s no way I could ever recover the financial investment for the stuff.