Minelab Responds To Critical You-tuber

strick

Honestly this is all old hat. The TX Boost on the V3i bumped the voltage to the coil for 10V to 30V. White's could have made a big deal about this 200% gain in power. But they did not. They said this instead (V3i Manual page 48):

Tx Boost – (On / OFF) Over-power the search coil to supercharge depth. Note; Causes rapid battery discharge and is susceptible to noise & overload. Recommended for very low mineralized grounds. Also recommended for high external electrical (EMI) interference, (Tx Boost ON, reduce Rx Gain, Discrimination, and All Metal sensitivity as necessary to regain stable performance).

Sound familiar?

The stupid exceeds FCC limitations objection BS is also an old one, comes up every few years. It was BS then and is BS now. Half the videos I’ve seen are just people putting their ignorance on public display. Luckily for them most of their audiences also don’t seem to know any better.

Search Coils Are Not Antenna

Metal Detectors and More Depth

• Like 9

The 50% more power to the coil is the new obsolete single frequency metal detectors statement.   It's done as a headline grabber, pure marketing and it worked, everyone's talking about it.

They're different in the way the Equinox did cause a bit of a stir and in fact other manufacturers must agree as anyone capable of making a multi frequency machine now has, they knew they had to if they wanted to stay in the game.

I wonder if Nokta and possibly others follow with their next detectors claiming 60% more power to the coil.

While not a bogus claim, it really doesn't mean much by the looks of it in overall performance, it certainly isn't increasing small target sensitivity such as gold nuggets, 2-3 cm extra depth on a 30cm target? Almost immeasurable in the real world.

Minelab responded as his videos with a lot of followers were possibly damaging to sales of a new detector that they desperately need to sell a lot of, sales have been a bit slow for them lately, according to their shareholder announcements.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2023 at 1:43 AM, phrunt said:

While not a bogus claim, it really doesn't mean much by the looks of it in overall performance, it certainly isn't increasing small target sensitivity such as gold nuggets, 2-3 cm extra depth on a 30cm target? Almost immeasurable in the real world

Bottom line. It was a marketing ploy of which many took the bait. All reports seem to convey that it is a excellent beach machine with great depth. I also believe with a new update in the future the iron issues should be resolved. For me though the jury is still out on the proprietary head phones.

When I watched his first video I was thinking this was his best act yet...it’s all an act even though he says he is looking for the truth that is one of his acts as well. Acting for viewers.... I mean no teacher is that ignorant to not do some basic research before slamming minelab like that and mocking the head engineer the way he did...I do give him an A+ for getting minelab to respond to some joe blow on the internet..I haven’t seen that before. And I’ll bet Lawrie is getting a good razzing from his fellow engineers at work about that lightning bolt super hero thingy lol. 

Strick

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, strick said:

I’ll bet Lawrie is getting a good razzing from his fellow engineers at work about that lightning bolt super hero thingy lol. 

Strick

Ha ha. That's exactly what I thought when I saw that.

I saw the video mere minutes after he posted it. I fully expected it to be taken down in a day or so, and a possible lawsuit happening. I mean, he outright claimed a company is lying based on poor evidence and incomplete technical knowledge. If it was me, I would have titled the video as, "IS Minelab lying to us?". That one extra word would wash my hands of any legal repercussions.

• Like 6

I tried watching one of dude's videos before I was able to get my Manticore and I couldn't finish it, despite trying to soak up what I could about the detector. He annoyed the crap out of me. I saw the ones titled above and just kept on scrolling.  You can tell he definitely likes hearing himself talk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

The 50% more power to the coil is the new obsolete single frequency metal detectors statement.   It's done as a headline grabber, pure marketing and it worked, everyone's talking about it.

They're different in the way the Equinox did cause a bit of a stir and in fact other manufacturers must agree as anyone capable of making a multi frequency machine now has, they knew they had to if they wanted to stay in the game.

I wonder if Nokta and possibly others follow with their next detectors claiming 60% more power to the coil.

While not a bogus claim, it really doesn't mean much by the looks of it in overall performance, it certainly isn't increasing small target sensitivity such as gold nuggets, 2-3 cm extra depth on a 30cm target? Almost immeasurable in the real world.

Minelab responded as his videos with a lot of followers were possibly damaging to sales of a new detector that they desperately need to sell a lot of, sales have been a bit slow for them lately, according to their shareholder announcements.

For those that don't visit Friendly Forum (nice new server and host by the way), this post by Carl Moreland covers most of the 50% question really well. Thanks Carl.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sure what Mark is doing is using lay-terms that people can relate to. Anyone who's ever watched Tim "the Toolman" Taylor knows what More Power means. But Tim never discussed what more ampere-turns means, or more B-field strength.

I suspect what Mark really means is that Manticore has a 50% stronger TX B-field. This can be achieved with 50% more coil current or 50% more turns in the TX coil, or some combination. In a detector with user control over the TX current (like the White's V3) you can decisively demonstrate what this does for target detection. It ain't a whole lot, but like the old man who pee'd in the sea said, every little bit helps.

From a strictly technical view, metal detector transmit "power" makes no sense because, in most designs, the power is mostly recycled. Including MF designs. That is, you can have 500mA of coil current but the TX circuit only consumes 25mA. Unlike RF antennae the detector coil does not emit RF power, it only produces a local magnetic field. However, real power is consumed by target eddy currents, but it's not much. This is why it also makes no sense to talk about FCC power limits on detectors. They don't really emit power."

• Like 4